6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2012 8:29 AM by josekellenberger@aol.com RSS

Interference on picture

josekellenberger@aol.com

Whenever I play a clip (stored in MPEG) in the monitor panel (or elsewhere within Abode Premiere Elements 10) the picture shimmers and looks as if there is interference affecting it.  This happens with both silent clips and those with audio.  It is like a layer of interference on top of the picture.  This happens with every clip.  If I play the clip in Windows (eg. Photo Gallery, Windows movie maker, etc) there is no distortion whatsoever.  There is no distortion to the sound.  I cannot unfortunately capture a picture and post it of this interference because it only happens when the clip is playing.

I should be really grateful for some help in trying to resolve this.

• 1. Re: Interference on picture
          John T Smith MVP

Most likely a matter of your video graphics card driver being out of date, or a playback setting inside PreEl

Please post details about both

• 2. Re: Interference on picture
            josekellenberger@aol.com Community Member

Thanks for your reply to my request for help.  I have a fairly new computer with a good graphics card (although I cannot find its details) and as the vision of the clips seems perfect in Microsoft software I feel that the graphics card is probably sufficient.  You mention the playback settings in Premiers Elements.  Where and how could check on this please?

Thanks for your consideration.

• 3. Re: Interference on picture
              Steve Grisetti MVP

Where are those MPEGs coming from?

And when you started your Premiere Elements project, which project settings did you select?

Are you saying the video shimmers when you're playing it in Premiere Elements or shimmers when you output a video from your project?

Can you post an example on YouTube and link us to it?

• 4. Re: Interference on picture
                the_wine_snob Community Member

John T. was not talking about the video card, per se, but its driver. The video driver is very important with video-editing programs, and also with later versions of Photoshop. Simple OS updates and hot-fixes can render a video driver obsolete, and that is why nVidia and ATI/AMD issue new ones at least monthly.

Look in Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager, and find your Display Adapter. Check for its make/model. Then, while there, go to the Advanced>Driver tab, and check for the number/date of your driver. Go to the mfgr's. Web site (do not trust the OS, or any utility to tell you if you have the latest version, as that will be at least 6 mos. old), plug in your model, then your OS version, and download and install the latest video driver.

On a new computer, if you have not updated your video driver, it will most likely be over 6 mos. old, i.e. six versions back.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Take a look at this ARTICLE.

• 5. Re: Interference on picture

Thank you I will do that.  Jose

In a message dated 01/13/12 00:14:10 GMT Standard Time, forums@adobe.com writes:

Re: Interference on picture

created by Bill Hunt in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

John T. was not talking about the video card, per se, but its driver. The video driver is very important with video-editing programs, and also with later versions of Photoshop. Simple OS updates and hot-fixes can render a video driver obsolete, and that is why nVidia and ATI/AMD issue new ones at least monthly.

Look in Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager, and find your Display Adapter. Check for its make/model. Then, while there, go to the Advanced>Driver tab, and check for the number/date of your driver. Go to the mfgr's. Web site (do not trust the OS, or any utility to tell you if you have the latest version, as that will be at least 6 mos. old), plug in your model, then your OS version, and download and install the latest video driver.

On a new computer, if you have not updated your video driver, it will most likely be over 6 mos. old, i.e. six versions back.

Good luck,

Hunt

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4137075#4137075

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4137075#4137075. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 6. Re: Interference on picture

It was suggested that I should look at the Playback Settings. I have now found that panel.  However I don't know what the settings should be.  Could someone explain what settings I should have, or change to (I am a beginner only).  I have a Cannon F100 with a SDHC card.  It is widescreen although Premiers Elements 10 does not recognise it as such and makes it 4:3 ratio.

Regarding the Graphics Driver I have a ATI Radeon HD 3450.  I have tried to download the latest version but, so far, without success.

Many thanks for any further help.