Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CS5 Error - "Not enough memory to save the file"

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2011 Oct 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

I'm experiencing difficulties in exporting website from .AI to .PSD using Illustrator CS5.1 under Windows7 Home Premium 64bit. The error message says "Not enough memory to save the file".     

I can assure you that i've got enough memory for scratch disks and my computer is powerful enough to handle this operation. The funny thing is that i am able to export the very same .Ai file using Illustrator CS5.1 under Windows XP 32bit on different PC.

I've tried to find a solution online, but it gave no satisfying results so far. So, i think the problem comes from the operating system, but i don't know how to fix it... any suggestions?

Thanks, Steve.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can assure you that i've got enough memory for scratch disks and my computer is powerful enough to handle this operation.

Doesn't matter. AI is a 32bit app and will only use so much memory and resources... What size is the doc? Any other Adobe software on the system? Anything else we might need to know?

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I've set the scratch disk to a 250gb partition with more than 150gb free space. I'm running Intel I-5 cpu with 8gb ram, so i doubt the problem comes from disk space and hardware specs ...

The .ai file is 21mb. There were also other .ai files that came out with the same error when exporting to .psd. And again, they successfully converted to .psd when exporting under Windows XP.

I've got Photoshop CS5.1 (64 Bit) installed on my machine too. Any other info you may need to know?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention that i've also tried to run Illustrator in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3 & SP2 but it didn't solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 17, 2011 Nov 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sad to say I'm running into the same problem with a 40KB file.....

(download the following file and use it)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8c/2.4_GHz_Wi-Fi_channels_%28802.11b%2Cg_WLAN%29.svg

File -> Open

Modify the file slightly:

doubleclick the image

remove the channel 14 info  (the text block "14" & "2.484",  the T shaped path, the dotted half circle path)

drag a square around the "Channel", "Center Frequency", "(GHz)" text blocks and hold left shift and press the left arrow until the selected items are tighter to the rest of the image

select the bold base line, grab the right middle point to shrink the line (dragging from right to the left) until 'intersect' shows up, then release

click the top left "Back One Level" arrow 2 times so that you are back to the top level (out of isolation mode)

File -> Export -> Choose PSD

Export Options (all default settings)

Color Model RGB

Medium (150ppi)

Write Layers

Preserve Text Editability

Maximum Editability

Antialias

Click OK.....

POOF! ERROR!

"Not enough memory to save the file"

note: saving as .ai file before exporting doesn't solve the problem

My Environment:

Adobe Illustrator 15.0.2

Win7x64 SP1

6GB free RAM (8GB installed)

55GB Free HDD space (256GB total, it's a SSD)

4GB pagefile

Please try the test method provided for yourself and advise, thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2011 Dec 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem with a 120K file.  Same setup.  Same results.  This is my first attempt at this fucntion since upgrading to 5 and windows 7.  Worked fine using Windows XP and CS4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2012 Jan 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same error no matter how big or small the ai file is...

I am running Illustrator CS5.1

My software was installed direct from discs

Here are my system specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.0GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 8086MB RAM

Page File: 5461MB used, 10709MB available

Graphics Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M

Display Memory: 2725 MB

Dedicated Memory: 3034 MB

Shared Memory: 3787 MB

Drive: C:

Free Space: 316.5 GB

Total Space: 456.8 GB

File System: NTFS

Drive: D:

Free Space: 476.8 GB

Total Space: 476.9 GB

Drive: F:

Free Space: 869.8 GB

Total Space: 953.9 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2012 Jan 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS CASE HAS BEEN OPEN SINCE OCTOBER??? ADOBE SLACKING OFF? I'M HAVING SAME PROBLEM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2012 Jan 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user-to-user-forum, not a support ticket system. There are no "cases".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean there isn't anyone from Adobe watching the forums to say, hey,

here's a bug...maybe we should look into this?

Sounds like a hole in your development processes to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MIKELAWELL wrote:

Sounds like a hole in your development processes to me.

well, certainly not in mine.

We are all just users here, just as you are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2016 Apr 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue with an SVG file in Illustrator. But for what I can see, there's no solving to this. So it's clearly Adobe's fault for not solving this for ANYONE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2012 Jan 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2012 Jan 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing to check:

Make sure 'Use Artboards' is checked in the original save dialog box. That's the checkbox at the bottom left of the export dialog below the exported file name.

This problem plagued me for months until I realised Illustrator is trying to export the ENTIRE document edge-to-edge and not cropping it down to the artboard.

Hope this helps someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2012 Jan 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uncheck the Anti-Alias box and Voila! That worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2012 Jan 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

**** Try to free enough Space on you HDD (Hard Disk Drive), upgrade your RAM, Always clean up your dive, choose the processor designed for graphic designing and set-up your PC into BEST PERFORMANCE  under the personlize settings... Hope this will help cause this issue helped me...

OR - if you are making a large sized project lay-out it into 20% - 50% smaller and Proportioanally and after the project is done print it according to your deisired size of file....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 16, 2012 Feb 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and made an interesting discovery:

If there is any object in the document that is wider or taller than 2048 pixels, Illustrator will give this error. Even if the object is smaller than that (for example 1600x1600 pixels) to start with, and your export resolution (i.e. 144dpi) will make that object bigger than 2048 (in that case 3200x3200 pixels), Illustrator will just say "NO WAY".

I don't know why this is - just found out by trial and error.

If you have problems, try deleting objects that are bigger than 2048 pixels wide or high and it will work.
For the bigger objects, you might have to find a different solution to convert it to Photoshop.

PLEASE NOTE: even if an object inside a Clipping Mask is bigger than 2048 pixels, it will not export to a PSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2012 Feb 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. The only way I was able to export from Illustrator CS5.5 to PSD was to uncheck Antialias.

HD space for scratch disks is NOT an issue. My primary has 450GB free, and my secondary has 900GB free.

I'm running an i7 (Sandybridge) processor, and running 16GB RAM.

I am running Windows 7 64-bit.

My file is onlty 1024x768 and no object is larger than that, so the dimensions are not the issue for me either.

This did NOT happen in CS5, only after I moved to CS5.5 (which was actually a clean install after I uninstalled CS5).

There is most certainly some sort of bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2012 Apr 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the same issue on a Mac. I can't export to

layored psd from Illustrator CS5.5 running 10.7 I have tried deleting all preferences and I am still stuck. I did try unchecking the anti-alias also. Does anyone know of a work around? Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2012 Apr 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just uncheck the AntiAlias box when you go to do the export and it will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2012 Jun 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using a video illustrator preset, there are actually two artboards. One is the 1080p or whatever frame, and the other is the huge whatever frame around it. Be sure to select your 1080p or video artboard first before saving for web, and that could help. If that is actually the issue you're having.

Godspeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 08, 2012 Jul 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem! I'm using a circle with a gradient, but when I try to revolve it, it says "The operation cannot complete because there isn't enough memory (RAM) avilable." I know I have enough RAM and it's weird because I was able to manipulate objects and copy and paste things earlier, but I can't now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this issue with any file over 150dpi. I am using CS4.

After unchecking the Anti-alias checkbox during the export options the file saved correctly at 300dpi.

I was suspicious at the error saying I do not have enough RAM.

I have 16GB. What do you mean I do not have enough RAM!?!?

CPU: i7 2600k (O.C. to 5.4 GHZ) liquid cooled via AquaComputer Airplex 360 with Lang D5 pump.

MOBO: ASUS P8 Z77 V-Pro

RAM: 16GB Corsair (O.C. 2100)

HDD: Dual WD Caviar Black 1TB.

GPU: ASUS Direct CUII 6970 2GB RAM (Liquid cooled via EKWB VGA block)

Case: Cooler Mater HAF 932

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2012 Aug 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS4 is a 32bit application and as such cannot access more than 3GB of memory. How much you have installed doesn't make much difference. If you want to use more memory, you will have to jump to CS6 which can be installed as a 64bit app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2016 Aug 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had this same issue on Mac OSX with Illustrator CC when trying to export to EPS. I had to un-embed the fonts and convert to outlines before it would work. I believe it was a font permissions issue that was causing my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines