Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automatically Expand TOC Books

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2006 Sep 25, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all you experts out there!!!

Is it possible to automatically expand top level TOC books when the help file is opened?

If so, how can I do it.

Thanks so much for your help, Susan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2006 Sep 25, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's only the book with the default topic that can be expanded on opening the help. Sorry, I don't think I have seen any workaround.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2006 Sep 27, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. How do you you automatically expand the default topic? None of mine are expanding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2006 Sep 27, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you selected the option to automatically synchronise topics in the wizard when you generate the help?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2012 Jun 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's only six years later, but some of us are still interested in this question. 

For anyone still struggling to get the book holding the default topic to expand, I was able to do it in RH9. Note that in order to get the book to automatically expand, the topic has to be nested inside the book, but not linked to the actual book. That is, if you right-click on the book, and select "Book with Link," and link to the default topic -- then the book will *not* automatically expand, even if the TOC also shows it listed under the book.

I could not find an option with a name like "automatically synchronise topics." Perhaps it has gone away or been renamed. There is an option labeled "Synchronize table of contents" on the Navigation tab, but selecting or de-selecting this seemed to have no effect whatsoever on whether the book automatically expanded.

If possible, I'd like to get some or all of my other books to auto-expand. I guess that might be reaching for the stars, but if anyone has a hopeful word about this being doable, I would love to hear it....

thanks,

Roy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 07, 2012 Jun 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2012 Jun 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Here is what I am trying to do: Figure out how to make all the books in the TOC expand by default. As I mentioned in my post, I haven't found that selecting the option you mention really has any effect one way or the other. I tried setting it to manually and automatically -- in both cases, the book holding the default topic is expanded and the others are not. Do you have some insight into this?

thanks,

Roy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Roy

To my knowledge there is only one way to get all the books expanded by default when the help opens. That way is to create WebHelp output, and specify that it should be Section 508 compliant. And when you do that, you wave goodbye to using skins as well as waving goodbye to the typical "type into a field" behavior of the Index and the Search.

Your call on whether you think it's worth it just to get the TOC fully expanded.

I might suggest you submit a feature request asking Adobe to consider adding an option that allows us to choose how the TOC is presented initially. (Link is in my sig)

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much -- that's all good to know.

I'll definitely be making use of that link -- thanks again!!

Roy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp