Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

mapping styles issue

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2012 Jan 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

My name is Caryn Drovie.  I am a technical writer and i have used Robohelp HTML in the past but new to 9.0

I am having some issues I cannot resolve that I will try to explain but I  think if someone can use a program like "Show my PC" and look at my PC it will be quicker and easier to troubleshoot.  The project I am working on was a former writers and I am trying to modify and work with his c.s.s and styles and templates.  Here are my initial questions first:

CSS

1.  I first began to edit the default c.s.s and add styles - was that wrong?  Should I take those out?  I had changed to his new c.s.s he had created.

2.  Should the styles I create and use map the styles in the c.s.s and in the write area in the c.s.s properties page.

3.  What do I do with the styles in c.s.s I am currently not using but may use in future?

Styles

1.  I have lots of styles the previous writer created.  I have not used them all but I might in future, do I delete the styles not used?

2.  I notice that when I am trying to map a style my style drop down info does not always match my style pod info and shows in gray shaded in drop down?

3.  The client I am working from wants me to do the following, can it be done because it is not working for me?  They want me to create process steps. no table, and use 3 styles in a row.  First style is numbering, second is result paragraph and 3rd is screen shot.  But when I modified existing styles and apply the styles all detail moves and does not align properly.  I have tried to apply none style to clear styles and reapply but no matter what I do it does not work.  I do not want to type numbers directly or play with the indents.  My goal is following example lined up and spaced out nicely:

1.  This is the first step

Result:   this is the result alwhere all lines are aligned

Screen shot aligned

Can you please help me?

thanks

Caryn Drovie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2012 Jan 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.  I first began to edit the default c.s.s and add styles - was that wrong?  Should I take those out?  I had changed to his new c.s.s he had created.

2.  Should the styles I create and use map the styles in the c.s.s and in the write area in the c.s.s properties page.

3.  What do I do with the styles in c.s.s I am currently not using but may use in future?

1] It is not wrong to edit the default.css but I do prefer not to. It is  perhaps better regarded as a clean css to base new css files on or  something to use as a yardstick when another css is giving you grief. If you are no longer using that css, perhaps best to leave it for now until these issues are resolved. You can always get a clean default.css from a new project.

2] I am not sure what you mean here.

3] Leave them or comment them out. /* just before the definition and */ at the end of it.

Styles

1.  I have lots of styles the previous writer created.  I have not used them all but I might in future, do I delete the styles not used?

2.  I notice that when I am trying to map a style my style drop down info does not always match my style pod info and shows in gray shaded in drop down?

3.  The client I am working from wants me to do the following, can it be done because it is not working for me?  They want me to create process steps. no table, and use 3 styles in a row.  First style is numbering, second is result paragraph and 3rd is screen shot.  But when I modified existing styles and apply the styles all detail moves and does not align properly.  I have tried to apply none style to clear styles and reapply but no matter what I do it does not work.  I do not want to type numbers directly or play with the indents.  My goal is following example lined up and spaced out nicely:

1.  This is the first step

Result:   this is the result alwhere all lines are aligned

Screen shot aligned

1] Isn't that the same question as 3 in the previous section.

2] Map a style where? A screenshot would help. Use the camera icon to insert.

3] You could set up a multi level list as described on my site where levels two and three have no bullet or numbering. Alternatively at the end of line one, press Shift Enter and the next line will align to the text, not quite what you want as there will be no indent but maybe that is acceptable.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2012 Jan 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter

We have spoken in the past.  Thanks for your responses I will review.

Also, a rep from Adobe is also trying to support me and I am awaiting his call back.

Caryn Drovie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2012 Jan 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Caryn

Problem solved? If it is, it would help others if you could briefly explain what you had to do.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2012 Jan 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I had an Adobe support person helping me but he had to get some surgery done.  I asked him to find someone else to help me and no one did.  He last reported that he would review my project and a html page where I have my styles issue copy a page and show me how to clean up my html errors. 

Along with this ongoing issue, my client also wants me to create a table with invisible borders.  All I can find so far is table with no borders and style is transparent.  So, you still see a transparent line.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2012 Jan 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that the support person is on leave should not delay things, go back and ask for someone else to investigate.

Re the transparent line, I suspect it is just in the editor. Have you generated an output or just previewed the topic?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter

Yes I did request for someone else to contact me. I will need to call again or find someone else to teach me how to cleanup html pages.

Yes I have generated output and transparent and white both sees a line. Why is this when I select no border?

Thanks

Caryn Drovie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem I see you having with Adobe on this is that cleaning up your HTML/CSS is really outside the scope of product support. How will they know which styles in the CSS you want and how will they know if those styles are what you want. For example you might have some styles called Emphasis 1 and 2 - do you want styles with those names and are they correct as they are?

It seems to me you have to look at all the styles in all the CSS files you have been playing with and create one file that has just the ones you want, now or maybe in the future. Then you have to apply the new CSS and look at the topics and apply the styles as required. When you click in a paragraph, if the style in the dropdown appears in CAPS, it is RoboHelp's way of telling you the style does not exist in the CSS.

The table issue could be a problem caused by the changes you have made. See the contact page on my site and send me a topic that has a table with this problem plus the CSS file for that topic. You can attach those two files to the email. Do not send the whole project.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter

Thank you. I am not working today. Will do my best to send you that tomorrow. Can I also send you a sample page with my process steps that have styles messed up?

Thanks

Caryn Drovie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that is OK. If it is not clear how the steps are wrong and what is correct, then please make sure you explain it clearly.

Include a link to this thread.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2012 Jan 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Peter

Thanks for your help but this project has been cancelled.

Caryn Drobie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp