• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Another: a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Pro to shut down

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2012 Jan 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know a few people have had the same notification:

sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Pro to shut down. We will attempt to save your current project

I have tried a whole series of things to fix it and no luck. Here are all the computer stats... does anyone have any ideas???

1. Premiere Pro
    1. Version number: CS5, with most recent update
    2. Installation language: English
    3. Updates applied: Most recent… installed AFTER problem started
    4. Project/sequence settings… NA

1. Operating System
    1. Name: Windows 7, 64bt
    2. Update/patch level: Service Pack 1
    3. Installed language: English
    4. Display resolution and color depth. 1920x1080; 32bit color
  2. CPU type and speed Core i7 950
  3. Amount of memory (RAM) 12GB
  4. Video card 
    1. Manufacturer: Nvidia
    2. Model: FX3800
    3. Driver version: Latest (installed after errors started)
  5. Number of monitors (displays): in use 2 (with one disabled for testing)
  6. Audio card
    1. Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology 82801J HD Audio Controller
    2. Model
    3. Driver version: 6.1.7601.17514 (latest version)
  7. Each hard drive's capacity and space remaining
    1. Disk setup (partitions used, raid configuration, what is where for OS/projects/media/scratch/audio)

C and D, no partitions. D is raided, controlled by hardware controller. All software on C. Media kept on D.

1. Hardware capture device NA
    1. Manufacturer
    2. Model
    3. Driver version number
  2. Capture software NA
    1. Name
    2. Company
    3. Version

1. Comprehensive list of third-party plug-ins you installed.

None for Premiere I don’t think. A couple for After Effects. Have been installed for a while with no recent updates.

1. Exact text of any error messages

sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Pro to shut down. We will attempt to save your current project

1. Explain clearly what you want to do, what you are doing and what the result is

Open Premiere to do some work 

1. Be sure to mention if it is something that worked before using the same procedure

Nothing has changed on the PC prior to program failure.

1. Very importantly: Post details of troubleshooting you have already done to avoid "did that" reponses to questions people ask when trying to help.

Tried:

• Reinstalling
  • Reducing to one screen.
  • Holding Shift when starting until first screen (New/ Open Existing/ Help)
  • Holding Ctrl, Shift Alt when starting until first screen (New/ Open Existing/ Help)
  • Programme crashed regardless of clicking directly on loading icon and opening New or Existing via first load screen, or via clicking directly from a project file.
  • Removed all fonts installed since last opened.
  • Restarting.
  • Updated Graphics Driver.
  • Updated Premiere

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a generic error so it can be fired by a mountain of possible things. Precisely what were you doing at the moment the error message appeared? Opening a project, importing media, working on the timeline, rendering, adding an effect... ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave. Thanks for the reply.

The first time I noticed it I was clicking on a prproj file. Premiere fires up, looks like it's going fine, and then I get that dialogue box with the Sorry message.

If I DONT open Premiere by clicking on a project file it does arrive at the Create New, Open Existing, Help dialogue box you get when it first open. Clicking on New asks you to enter your saving details (I tried saving to C and D) but just as it looks like it has opened and ready, then the Sorry message pops up and it crashes.

So basically I was doing nothing other trying to get Premiere going

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like your project may be corrupt.  Do you have a previous rev in your Auto-Save folder?  That might be your only hope.

I recently had Pr project corruption when my RAID5 suffered a parity drive failure.  My project was on the RAID.  I couldn't open them, or import into a new project.  Had to re-edit a day's worth of work from a previous auto-save on my backup drive.  Good luck.  Do a Save As often from now on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not the project. Have tried it with a couple of others, but I also can create a new project either...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May be corrupt media, then.  Try moving your media to a different location, and moving it back, a few clips at a time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would corrupt media still cause Premiere to crash even if it is accessing no media through an open project, ie I'm trying to create a new project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Corrupt media has been known (to me) to crash FCP, Ae, Pr, and Avid MC.  If all is well with different footage, that may implicate your media as the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can't even start a new project, then I think your preferences are corrupt.  You mentioned trying to hold the shift key down;  that should have flushed them on launch, so that has me scratching my head a little.  You could always try doing it manually, ie go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Pro\  and delete the 5.0 folder, then try to launch again.

Another thing, doublecheck that you've got the most up to date audio driver.  I've seen weird crashes on systems that had a badly installed audio driver - the app tries to initialize the audio after the project creation phase, and then might barf if it can't instantiate ASIO correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2012 Jan 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried manually deleting the Preferences folder: No luck.

Windows tells me the audio driver is up to date. I also just tried disabling the driver. No luck there either.

It's really odd. I use Premiere regularly. The PC hasn't been moved at all. There haven't been any big changes in the system. No new programs installed.

I am on a network incidentally. But there were no changes to it leading up to the problem.

I have tried saving to local and network drives when creating a new document too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you added any new fonts lately ?

I havent heard anthing with Premiere but I once had way to many and Photoshop would go crazy.

Im not sure how to test this.

maybe rename you font folder or some other way.

just guessing.

GLenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had done. I had the same thought. I deleted all fonts back to mid December (LONG before the error occurred).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking back at post 1 I missed that you said you tried the fonts.

This probably wont help but have you right clicked and run Premier as administrator ?

I dont this will make a difference but just throwing it out there.

GLenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I tried that one too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For the last seven years, this problem has happened to me over and over.  Every time I have tried to get help, Adobe people make suggestions that insinuate it is something I am doing to cause this problem.  It is not.  Do better, Adobe.  As soon as something comparable comes out, I will stop giving my money to you.  I am paying WAY too much money to have your software crashing.  Does it matter what I was doing at the time?  It has been all kinds of things.  Trimming or editing a clip, scrolling through a bin, making a title, dragging audio, it doesn't matter what I was doing.  I am paying more than I can afford because this is supposed to be the best software.  Like I said, do better.  Stop blaming your customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have experienced several crashes with a trial version of Adobe Premier CS 5.5 I have not had similar problems with CS4. Also noted that the Adobe encoder 5.5 does not perform as well as the CS4 version. the 5.5 version uses more CPU resourses and takes three times longer to encode the same file as CS4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the CS5 Master Suite incidentally. All other programmes are running fine. No crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 25, 2012 Jan 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried changing the graphics card and/or uninstalling the display driver (forcing a VGA mode) and then starting Premiere Pro?

In my case, only certain functions don't work with FX 3800 (display driver error when playing a timeline with an overlayed title, with GPU acceleration enabled).  The error does not happen with a different graphics card (like Quadro CX).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2012 Jan 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had only tried ensuring that the driver was up to date.

HOWEVER...

Premiere just started working yesterday. I had given up and was planning to reinstall the entire system in the evening and decided to give to one last shot in desperation.

I have no idea why. I haven't changed anything (that I'm aware of!) since the last attempts to open it. It's kind of irritating not knowing why, in case it happens again, but I am glad it is working without the system reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 26, 2012 Jan 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is crazy.

If you do in the future go the wipe everything clean route.

What I like to do is take the drive out and just put a new drive in.

That way if I want to for some reason boot back into the old one I still have it insead of just wiping it clean.

Just a thought.

Sucks not knowing why sometimes.

Wish you luck.

Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2015 Apr 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys; I thought I would share my experience and how I managed to fix this problem. It might help someone.

In my case I kept receiving this message; eventually after re-launching Premiere, I actually paid close attention to the "software loading" information and saw that it got stuck on my installed "Colorista ii" which is a colour grading software.

Now the red bulb came on my head ping!

I recently just upgraded my Mac to the OS X Yosemite & that affected pretty much any non-updated application, which in my case was that and many more of the Red Giant Pacakge; so I searched for the upgrade via Red giant Link, and low and behold I found it and did so. Immediately everything loaded up perfectly fine.. and now can't even do the work, cos I'm so exhausted from an 'almost heartattack'; so going to sleep and commence later in the day I guess..

Now, you might probably want to check if any application on your system needs upgrading to whatever is the operating system on your Mac or PC at this very time. It might help.

Always back-up.

I hope I helped someone 🙂

@ToleXElijah

extreme studio manager‌

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines