Exit

Error when opening a AE project

Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2012 Jan 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey peepz

i get the following error

AfterEffect warning : Unable to import file c:\Users\Gebruikers\Destkop\Vices-Silverstein animatie.aep as project  ( bad format or not readable)

this error popped up on the same day i made it

so dont know what went wrong,

i hope anyone can help me

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Jan 16, 2012 Jan 16, 2012

Well, it sounds like the project file might be corrupted then. Are you certain you've fully updated After Effects? Have you tried resetting your prefs? Can you tell us more about the project itself? How about your OS & version of AE?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remove the dash (hyphen) and space in the filename. Instead, use underscores (_) or camel casing/initial caps (inOtherWordsCapitalizeEveryWordWithoutSpacesOrUnderscores).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

with dash did you mean - ?  i changed the name to just Silverstein.  .aep was never in the name    and it still doesnt work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try naming it precisely:

silverstein.aep

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still the same error

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try placing the file on your desktop and opening it. It sounds like there's an illegal character in your filepath or filename.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i was first saved on my desktop  but cuz it doesnt work i moved it to documents and tried that,  but now i placed it back on dekstop and still not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try placing it on the root of your c: drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nothing again...

im starting to think its hopeless tbh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to Import it or Open it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i try both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it sounds like the project file might be corrupted then. Are you certain you've fully updated After Effects? Have you tried resetting your prefs? Can you tell us more about the project itself? How about your OS & version of AE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well unless they had a update today... i saved + opened it a couple times today ... it just stopped working when i got home..

the project isnt really that big of a deal.. its just a random coloured back ground with a nice song.. and lyrics wich come flying from everywhere..

and i tried open another project i made a month ago.. and that still works.. so its the file itself

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2015 Oct 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same thing happened to me today, for no reazon at all the file is not oppening, mine was a 2 week working on project =(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sabarko

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2017 Jan 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is a pretty late response, I had the same problem. if you have after effects cc, you can easily recover the file by going where the project was autosaved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this exact problem, had/still have no idea what caused it. Thank you so much for this comment! Might be obvious but in my stress (meeting a deadline for uni) I completely overlooked it! Using the last auto save file and recovered my work with only an hour or so worth of animation work lost rather than 6.

Very helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this same problem has been happening with all my edits (the not readable, bad format thing) and now my auto saved projects are coming up with the same thing! so now nothing is working:(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Guys! In my case only worked the auto save method. You can try it before another methods. Thanks to Adobe Support Community. Specially to TimeRemapper. Thanks once again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines