• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HHActiveX.dll is being overwritten by a different, earlier version...

Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2012 Jan 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an interesting problem:

On some systems on which my .chm file for a local help system is installed, HHActiveX.dll (the 32-bit one supplied with RH9 for redistribution) is being overwritten using a different, earlier version. It is not yet clear when the overwrite occurs, but it is being looked into.

Has anyone seen this before? I don't see how it's possible that it's a problem with the .dll or the .chm, so I suspect something is awry in Windows (XP, SP3 in this case).

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Burtin

I might imagine that could occur if someone installed another application that uses RoboHelp created CHM files and requires the dll.

Has that by chance been the case here?

Another possibility would be if for some reason a system restore point has been set and reverted back to.

Just some thoguhts from the edge... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rick.

No applications were installed after the update in which my local help .chm and the .dll were pushed out to the systems in question. No system restorations occurred on any of the systems afterward, either.

I do know, though, that when my local help system was pushed out to the systems (which had the prior release of my local help .chm and the .dll), the new .dll overwrote the older (registered) one (i.e., the .dll was not deregistered and reregistered) since the path remained exactly the same. I have already suggested deregistering and reregistering the .dll.

Any other thoughts?

Burtin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As it turns out, a separate, incremental update of one of the applications was pushed out afterward, and it overwrote the newer .dll with the older .dll.

So...it seems that a change to configuration management is in the works now...

Thanks for your help, Rick.

Burtin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LOL, amazing, isn't it? How often that it turns out to be the case that indeed some process we were unaware of was the culprit?

Glad the mystery is solved! Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp