Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader "(Not Responding)"

Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2012 Jan 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this problem for awhile now.

Whenever I try to open a PDF document on my compuuter Adobe Reader opens it, but when I go to scroll or click on one of the tabs I get (Not Responding) in the title bar. I wait for a short time but it just hangs, and when I click anywhere in the window it goes opaque leaving only the red X cancel button clear.

I was running the latest version of Reader, but uninstalled it and installed an earlier version (9.4) thinking it might fix things, but still getting the same problem.

My system details: Win7 Home Premium 64-bit OS

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 16, 2012 Jan 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Could you please try the following:

1. Please try updating to Reader 10.1.2 from http://get.adobe.com/reader and see if the issue exists

2. If the problem still exists, please let me know if the issue exists whil opening all PDFs or only some few specific ones.

Try accessing:http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/837/cpsid_83709/attachments/Acrobat_Enterprise_Administration.pdf

Try and save it to your machine, and see if the problem still exists.

but when I go to scroll or click on one of the tabs I get (Not Responding) in the title bar.

Also, could you expolain what exactly is it, that you mean by tabs? As far as I know, there arent any tabs in the Reader application.

Thanks

Ankit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ankit_Jain.

As you requested I updated to the latest Reader, but the problem still exists with all PDFs on my harddrive, including the one you got me to download.

Also, with "tabs" I am refering to are the File, Edit, View, Window, Help buttons. "Tabs" is the wrong word to use. Sorry about that.

Anyway, when I open any PDF file, even if I just let it sit there whithout trying to click anywhere in the Reader window, the "(Not Responding)" eventually appears in the title bar.

Please advise further.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying out the said suggestions.

Could you also try and temporarily disable the antivirus software running on your system and try launching the PDF and see if it solves the issue.

Also, could you let me know if the uissue persists if you just launch the application and do not access any PDF.

Thanks

Ankit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2012 Jan 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, after turning off my AV software I still cannot open a PDF file.

In addition, when I open Reader by itself, then try to click on something within the window I still get the "(Not Responding") thingy.

Sorry.

PS: I'm currently responding to your PM and will reply to it shortly.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 17, 2012 Jan 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying back with the observations.

Could you also try and do the following:

1. Traverse to the Reader installation directory (Generally its C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0)

2. Delete all the folders possible, with the exception of Setup Files.

3. Now, from within the Control Panel, go to Programs and Features.

4. Try and repair the Reader installation, by chosing Change/Modify for the Reader 10.1.2 entry.

5. Follow the steps and reboot if required.

6. Try and launch the application now.

Does this fix things?

Thanks

Ankit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2012 Jan 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay - work commitments.

I did as you requested, although for some reason I could not delete the "CMap" folder which contains only two files - "Identity-H" & "Identity-V".

I repaired Reader anyway, but still have the same problem.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 20, 2012 Jan 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it be possible for you to provide me with the crash logs. You can follow the steps as below to get the same:

1. Install WinDbg from http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx
  2. Launch WinDbg via the shortcut
  3. Open Command Prompt and type in the following commands:

cd c:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows (x86)

windbg.exe –I

4. This would launch the WinDbg application for a moment and then show a dialog stating that WinDbg is now your default debugging application. Click OK to dismiss the same.

5. Open Reader and do whatever operation that produces the crash

6. Once Reader crashes, WinDbg will launch by itself. When prompted type in the following command in the WinDbg Console:

.dump /ma c:\temp.dmp (Hit Enter)

7. This will create the crash log in C:\ by the name of temp.dmp. Please send it across in a zipped format to the same email address as in the PM.

Thanks

Ankit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2012 Jan 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.

Bear with me please. I'm trying to work out how to install and run this tool properly. Sorry.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2012 Jan 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I think I have finally installed WinDbg correctly, but I cannot see anywhere in the menus something called "Command Prompt".

So how do I open it?

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 26, 2012 Jan 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for not being clear the first time round.

Have edited the instructions as below.

1. Install WinDbg from http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx
  2. Open Command Prompt (Click on the Start menu and type in cmd. You will se a entry on the top left side of the menu by the name of cmd. Right click on the same and click on "Run As Administrator")
  3. Type in the following commands:

cd c:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows (x86)

windbg.exe –I

4. This would launch the WinDbg application for a moment and then show a dialog stating that WinDbg is now your default debugging application. Click OK to dismiss the same.

5. Open Reader and do whatever operation that produces the crash

6. Once Reader crashes, WinDbg will launch by itself. When prompted type in the following command in the WinDbg Console:

.dump /ma c:\temp.dmp (Hit Enter)

7. This will create the crash log in C:\ by the name of temp.dmp. Please send it across in a zipped format to the same email address as in the PM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2012 Jan 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ankit, I just sent you an email.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2012 Feb 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ankit_Jain,

Please post the resolution because I (and likely many others) am having the same problem as cbncat with my Windows 7 installation of Adobe 10.1.2.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cbncat,

Try removing the check from the checkbox next to Enable Protected Mode at startup under the General category in Preferences under the Edit menu item.

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it be possible for you to send across the crash dump as asked above. It would help analyze the issue.

Also, are you facing this issue with this update onwards only or were you facing this with the earlier release as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 14, 2012 Feb 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ankit_Jain  asked:"...are you facing this issue with this update onwards only or were you facing this with the earlier release"...?

This issue came with either version 10.1 or 10.1.2.

I have been unable to find a comprehensive version history for the Adobe Reader X but from http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/860/cpsid_86063.html and http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/901/cpsid_90161.html I have been able to piece together that Protected Mode was introduced with Version 10.0  and Protected View was introduced with 10.1. Many bug fixes for the Protected Mode issue (see http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/860/cpsid_86063.html) were introduced with 10.1. and 10.1.2.

To ABC123XYZ242526: Disabling the checkbox next to Enable Protected Mode sandbox does help but it is a very bad idea as this is an important security measure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2012 Feb 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cophagenmail, I agree, but waiting 10 to 20 seconds each time I open a pdf is unreasonable and unacceptable. Incidentally, I have not figured our how to get these settings to stay because each time I reboot my system or restart Adobe, the settings get restored and I must reset them. Do you know how to make the settings stick?

I still have this problem despite all of the comments made here and my own efforts to fix it. Adobe needs to address this issue or I must uninstall the X version and use a version that works such as version 9 or none. I cannot afford the time loss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2012 Feb 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe,

I have removed Adobe version 10.1.2 and installed version 9.5. The problem described above is not easily fixed by users and needs to be resolved by Adobe developers. The product does not function properly and it is unacceptable for use by the general public - the product should be pulled from general release until it is fixed.

Unless you have time to tinker (which I do not), I suggest removing version 10.1.2 from your Windows 7 or Vista computer until Adobe can resolve this problem, which has been a known unresolved issue for a very long time.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2012 Aug 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Adobe Reader X version 10.1.4 under Windows 7 x64, and experiencing exactly the same problems as described in this thread.

I have worked through the various fixes until here - and this is the one that appears to have fixed it in my case.   We'll see........

Whatever the problem is, it doesn't look like Adobe has sorted it yet.

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Adobe Reader X version 10.1.4 under Windows 7 x64, and experiencing exactly the same problems as described in this thread.

I found that removing the verisign server under Edit/Protection/Security Settings/Directory Servers cleared this up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2012 Sep 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running windows 7 x64 with Reader X 10.1.4 and experience the "not responding" situation described here:

- open a pdf file, it works for a few seconds (ie you can page down)

- then reader hangs for 10-20 seconds, windows says app is not responding

- then reader comes back

Notes: this seem to happen once per PDF file, ie repeated opening doesn't trigger this. The "not responding" is not happening all the time (or maybe not for each PDF).

All the suggestions here didn't work for me, happens with Software as renderer and with protected mode disabled or enabled.

====> I'd really appreciate help from Adobe to look into this and fix the issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2012 Feb 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have similar problem

while open ReaderX, mouse pointed to software, toolbar immediately disappeared and then pop out screen it has to be closed. Program is shut down then.

Acrobat Reader X

Av: NIS 2012

OTher software installed: MS office 2010 home and business version

NIce to hear from you, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 14, 2012 Feb 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have experienced problems on computers (XP, Vista 32 bit, Windows 7) using Adobe Reader X (10.1.2) with the Icelandic antivirus program F-prot. Adobe Reader X is very slow to start and it freezes ("not responding") when the user tries to close the program with a pdf file open. It is also difficult to be able to get to use menus to get to Adobe Reader X settings.

I Goggled this issue and found this recent Adobe article from 2012-01-09:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/860/cpsid_86063.html#main_antivirus

I have experimented with disabling F-prot File System Protection to see if this is the same issue as reported by Adobe with other anti-virus vendors. With F-prot File System Protection disabled Adobe Reader X doesn't display the reported odd behaviour - this means that F-prot has the same issue as Adobe reports that other anti-virus programs are experiencing.

I contacted Frisk Software (F-Prot) and they have attempted to contact Adobe, as the Knowledgebase article says that "Adobe is working with anti-virus companies to resolve these problems".  However, Frisk has not received a reply from Adobe.

Here is the thread on the F-prot forums: https://forum.f-prot.com/index.php/topic,2419.0.html

Have you a means to expedite this contact between Frisk Software and the people at Adobe who are working with anti-virus companies? You can either contact Frisk directly, or I can relay the information to Frisk from you. (I can also supply you with an email address to the staff)

FRISK Software International
Thverholti 18
IS-105 Reykjavik
ICELAND
Telephone: +354-540-7400

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2012 Feb 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is caused by 3D rendering. Just go to 3D & Multimedia under Preferences and uncheck "Enable hardware rendering for legacy video cards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 16, 2012 Feb 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

setting.jpg

1) khwajakhurram I have tried your suggestion to uncheck the default "Enable hardware rendering for legacy video cards" setting and it seems to work!

What is surprising is that Adobe Reader X's 3D & Multimedia settings report that the alternative preferred renderer modes are either software or DirectX9 .....on a Vista machine with DirectX11.

The video card on this machine is definitely not legacy but a recent quality Nvidia produced card. That is also the case on the other machines with the issue I have reported.

2) http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/860/cpsid_86063.html mentions that "certain configurations of anti-virus software that have not yet white-listed AcroRd32.exe" are "Unsupported configurations for Reader running in Protected Mode". Therefore I have also excluded AcroRd32.exe from virus scanning.

I am now able to use both Protected Mode and Advanced Security without issue.

I will experiment with various versions of this in the next few days and see whether both or just one of these remedies are needed.

Update: I have found that performance is vastly improved by changing from the default preferred renderer mode of DirectX9 to the alternative Software setting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines