• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 8 HTML import of Word file does not create topics

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2012 Jan 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported a large Word file (350+ pages, 4Mb) into RoboHelp 8 HTML (8.0208).

In the status bar at the bottom of the screen, it said "Converting filename.doc..." with a progress bar and then (way too fast for a large file) it said "Ready".

RoboHelp created the project files (.xpj, empty .hhc, etc.) and NO topics.

I tried several times, with and without conversion settings.  I tried opening an empty project first and then importing the file, but no luck.

The original file had a few tracked changes and footers which I removed.

I tried copying the file and deleting all but one heading and paragraph. 

Nothing helped.

A friend with RoboHTML 2002 was able to convert it with no problem.

By the way, when I converted the file to.rtf, I was able to import it and compile it.  But this is not the optimal way to do it.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you,

Leeba Salzman

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

When you import using version 8, you need to open the conversion settings dialog and enable "Pagination" for the Heading level at which you wish to break into topics.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I did that. But it didn't help.

It's not that I got one big topic- I didn't get ANY topics.

There is obviously something in the Word file that Robohelp doesn't like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

So sorry. My bad. Upon re-reading what I replied to I see that. I really should have read more carefully. Then again, I'm fighting the beginnings of a head cold today. ICK!

What if you take an approach I've seen my dear friend Peter suggest from time to time. Make a copy of that Word document. Slice off the bottom half and try importing the first half. If that works, you know the issue is in the bottom half. If not, repeat the process and try the other half. Work that way until you either get it all imported or until you isolate the problem area.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I save the RTF back to a Doc and that worked. Also, I selected the contents of the doc and copy/pasted it to a clean Word doc. That convert worked too.

Thanks for all your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I isolated the first heading and paragraph and it failed. Therefore I assume that the problem is in some format in the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried saving that RTF back as a Word document and importing again?

Create a new project for testing and try selecting all the content of the document (CTRL A) and applying Normal style, then just apply a Heading 1 at the beginning. I realise it will not be the content you want but the sole objective is to see if that imports.

The other approach is to create two copies of the document and trash different halves. Does one then import and one fail? If yes, repeat the process with the failing half.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The half/half approach won't work if I isolated just the one heading/paragraph and that didn't work.

I will try the RTF ->Word approach. That sounds promising, since I think the problem is some format or setting in the Word file itself.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, saving the RTF back worked. Also, I selected the contents of the doc and copy/pasted it to a clean Word doc. That convert worked too.

Thanks for all your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp