• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting RoboHelp X5.0.2 project to 9.0.1 - Generate Primary Layout doesn't produce anything

Jan 03, 2012 Jan 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our company has been using RoboHelp X5.0.2 for many years and I am quite familiar with it. We are considering upgrading to 9.0.1 soon so I am evaluating the 30 day trial.

My old projects all load fine into 9.0.1 and the GUI is reasonably familiar to me. However, when I select "Generate Primary Layout", nothing happens! Normally in X5.0.2 in the Output Window I see something like this:

Created c:\My Documents\HelpFiles\MVMControl3\MVMControl3\!SSL!\Microsoft_HTML_Help\MVMControl3.chm, 41,916 bytes

Compression decreased file by 93,198 bytes.

Finished compiling HTMLHELP in 4 sec(s)

Compilation complete.

But in the output window of 9.0.1 I see nothing at all.

If I do a batch generate I see:

Batch generating layout "MMEA Layout"....

Batch generating layout "Normal Layout"....

Batch generating layout "WebHelp"....

etc....but I don't see any output files - I can't see any new CHM files anywhere in my hard drive.

Does the trial version not produce CHM files? Or is there something different I have to do? The Output Window doesn't seem very useful in 9.0.1 so I am at a loss to understand what is preventing it from creating any output. Is there anywhere else I can check in the app to see what is stopping the output from being generated?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Jan 03, 2012 Jan 03, 2012

Hi, and welcome to the forums.

It appears that WebHelp has been set as your "primary layout". The solution is to change your primary layout to "Microsoft HTML Help". You do this by right clicking the Microsoft HTML Help listing in the Single Source Layout pod and select "Set as Primary Layout".

The first time you generate, you will want to double-click on the Microsoft HTML Help layout listing and select whatever preferences you may have in the screens that are presented. Then click Save and Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, and welcome to the forums.

It appears that WebHelp has been set as your "primary layout". The solution is to change your primary layout to "Microsoft HTML Help". You do this by right clicking the Microsoft HTML Help listing in the Single Source Layout pod and select "Set as Primary Layout".

The first time you generate, you will want to double-click on the Microsoft HTML Help layout listing and select whatever preferences you may have in the screens that are presented. Then click Save and Generate. Once you are satisfied with your results, you can then use the Toolbar button to "Generate Primary Layout."

Let us know if this helps.

John Daigle

Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor

Evergreen, Colorado

www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, that seems to be pretty close to the problem, though something strange is happening.....the first 2 layouts were actually Microsoft HTML Help Layouts rather than WebHelp layouts. But changing the Primary Layout to Microsoft HTML Help does enable me to generate a CHM file which is what I need to complete my evaluation. I will look at the Properties of the Single Source Layouts that don't work and will see what settings are different. That isn't really something that that will get in the way of the evaluation though......but not being able to create PDF files without Microsoft Word is a concern......I wasn't aware until today that a 3rd party app would be needed, especially as I thought Adobe invented the PDF format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need good-looking PDF output as well, I suggest going the Technical Communication Suite route - author in FrameMaker, create PDFs from FM, import or link your FM books to create help output in RH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure...

Assuming one knows Frame and already has their information in Frame format, that would work just dandy!

But what happens if all of it only exists as current RoboHelp projects and Frame isn't even in the picture?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I didn't say it was necessarily right for this guy - it really depends on how important PDF output is to you. I'm assuming the original poster already knew RH sucked back in X5.0.2 when making PDFs ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, Jeff I wasn't trying to pick a fight.

I was speaking to your reply as making it sound like a simple process. And for someone that has a handle on Frame, it may well be simple. But speaking as someone that only knows the RoboHelp app and not Frame, I can attest that you open Frame and become instantly bewildered. You have been deposited in an alien landscape with nothing that makes any sense to guide you. You think you may be lucky and be able to navigate by opening the help file. But all you find there are descriptions. For example, using the alien landscape analogy, it's like reading things saying "This is a bush". "That is a sidewalk". And nothing to guide you that seems remotely familiar.

What's a project in Frame? Where do I start? How do I create things? How do they fit together. It's like a secret society with arcane handshakes and symbolism you don't understand.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True, it's not a simple process - I remember one thread in the forums where they were trying to find an easy way. I think they ended up going RH - Word - FM to get all their content into FM. And yes, FM is a really bewildering app if you're only used to using Word. I've been using it now for 2 1/2 years & I'm still just scratching the surface of what it can do (& how to do it). It's ironic that Adobe's own help isn't all that super helpful to newbies - I ended up using a Scriptorium.com reference book for helping understand the concepts & how to do them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D'oh, now I've got that song stuck in my head!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2012 Jan 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which song? I didn't think I referenced any song in my last post ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 18, 2012 Jan 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, a hole has been discovered in my plan. RoboHelp has been "end of life'd"!

So, I am not sure what to do now - no sense upgrading our version 5.0 to 9.0 if it is an orphan. They do recommend that I go to:

Adobe Technical Communication Suite 3.5

but that seems to have the orphaned RoboHelp as part of it and I am guessing a big learning curve for all the rest of the products which makes me wonder if I should just look for competing products instead. Something that can take all the RoboHelp projects by importing but which is not orphaned would be the ideal solution.......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoa, DPB61?? Where did you get this absurd end of life business? Adobe RoboHelp 9 is available as a standalone product as are all the individual applications that make up the Tech Comm suite. It's just that for many authors who are using two or more of the products, it's much more economical to buy the Suite. But that's completely your choice.

BTW, back in 2004, the old Macromedia did indeed stop developing new versions. But, fortunately Adobe purchased Macromedia in 2006 and has done a terrific job of continued enhancements and innovations with 4 releases. RoboHelp and all of the apps in the Suite are leaders in their respective fields, worldwide. Please let me know who told you this incorrect info. To put it bluntly, it's a damaging lie. If you would like more clarification, you are welcome to email me directly at the address in my profile on the left.

Thanks

John Daigle

Evergreen, Colorado

www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This information was given over the phone by the Malaysian supplier for Adobe products. I asked to get it put in writing but my staff member who made the phone call is on annual leave. I will certainly chase it up because it is not in my interests to have this happen either.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, here is the information we were given (I deleted the name of the person as I don't want to get him into trouble as he appears to have gotten his information from another person). He did put it in writing - he just wouldn't give an alternative in writing apparently:

We have checked with our product manager and was advised that Robohelp is going EOL already. There will be minimal support and upgrades in the future. Judging from the price for a full pack license which is around RM4,400 we would like to suggest your company to reconsider using other software instead. Do let me know of your decision.

Thank you.
Regards,
Network Icon Sdn. Bhd

So it seems he is misinformed? Or at least misinforming us!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2012 Jan 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dave,

Thank you for sharing this. Whoever said there will be minimal support and upgrades in the future is misinformed and/or is not advising you well (we recently issued RoboHelp 9.0.2 service update - as recent as last month). I'm the Adobe RoboHelp Product Manager, and as far as I know I don't have split personality. There have been four releases since Adobe took over RoboHelp, that have incorporated many of the workflows and technologies our users have requested. RoboHelp continues to lead the help authoring, policies and procedures documentation, professional knowledgebases and many other domains, and we're absolutely committed to the product. It is also an integral part of Adobe Technical Communication Suite. Please be assured RoboHelp is not being EOL (there is no reason for it to be), and has a great future.

Thanks,

Ankur Jain

Product Manager – Adobe Technical Communication Suite | RoboHelp | RoboHelp Server

Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave. I've reported this to the Adobe RoboHelp (and TCS) Product Manager to make sure the information is corrected with this ill-informed supplier.

Thanks

John Daigle

Evergreen, Colorado

www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me again, DPB61. Regarding your comment,"I will look at the Properties of the Single Source Layouts that don't work and will see what settings are different."

It occurs to me that in addition to the SSL properties, you will also want to take a look at the Window properties and make sure you have set these the way you want. You'll find that in the Project Setup pod. Create a new window, give it a name and select the properties. Then, also be sure to select this custom window name in your SSL where it calls for "Default Window".

John Daigle

Evergreen, Colorado

www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp