• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Downloading library ebooks via ADE to a Nook

Jan 17, 2012 Jan 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm a librarian and will soon be teaching patrons how to download eBooks from the library to ADE then transfer to their Nook.  I felt I had a pretty decent grasp of how to do all this, but then I was reading the forums and now am not so sure!  I wish it was easier and we could better help our patrons!

I have a few questions that I would love to get clarification on before the classes begin- no need for the blind to lead the blind so to speak.

1.  Regarding authorizing ADE on computer w/ AdobeID and the Nook registration ID.  Can these be different ID's or should they be the same?  I am going to assume that the patrons coming to my class will already have registered their Nook with B&N.  When they learn that they must download ADE software to their computer and "authorize" it with an Adobe ID, should they use the same ID they registered their Nook with?  Does it matter? 

2.  These are the basic steps I will take the patrons through - I'm curious about the order and if it seems a good way to go.

1.      Go to our libraries Overdrive website
  2.      Click on the link to download ADE
  3.      Download ADE and authorize with AdobeID
  4.      Go back to libraries Overdrive catalog to login, search for a book, checkout and download
  5.      Launch ADE (will open automatically, yes?)
  6.      Connect Nook to computer
  7.      Authorize Nook with same AdobeID
  8.      Nook appears in bookshelf via Library View
  9.      Drag and Drop book to Nook
  10.      Wait till finished
  11.      Disconnect Nook
  12.      READ (hopefully)!

Experts, please advise if we should do #6 before #5 - I've noticed problems in the forums where ADE doesn't recognize the Nook.

Should patrons get an AdobeID first thing, before starting step #1?

Thank you so very much!

Josie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jan 19, 2012 Jan 19, 2012

The steps are mostly correct - I've added some notes below on where things tend to go wrong.

#5 ADE may or may not launch depending upon any number of security settings, if so the user will end up with a '.acsm' file - this is not book, but just the claim ticket from the library that will allow ADE to get the book (.pdf or .epub) from Overdrive.  Loading the .acsm file onto the nook, won't do anything.  This gets a lot of people

This .acsm file should already be associated with ADE, but it may lau

Votes

Translate

Translate
Jan 18, 2012 Jan 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Not an expert but have a new nook simple touch. I went to a library class & all had kindle but me.  No hands on ex-

perience, trying to takes notes while teacher talking & going onto next step, frustrating.  You sound as tho really inter-

ested in clients welfare.

My advise call or goto Barnes & Noble, they were a great help to me.  They need to sell more NOOKS so wish every

one is satisfied.  Can sign up for a class,too.  So call first & talk first. Good Luck!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 19, 2012 Jan 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The steps are mostly correct - I've added some notes below on where things tend to go wrong.

#5 ADE may or may not launch depending upon any number of security settings, if so the user will end up with a '.acsm' file - this is not book, but just the claim ticket from the library that will allow ADE to get the book (.pdf or .epub) from Overdrive.  Loading the .acsm file onto the nook, won't do anything.  This gets a lot of people

This .acsm file should already be associated with ADE, but it may launch Acrobat instead.  Make sure to right click on the file and choose Open/Launch with and select ADE, if the browser didn't launch ADE directly.

Also, especially on Windows it may be useful to launch ADE before the browser tries to launch it.  IE may launch ADE in a 'low rights' mode that doesn't let ADE talk to the internet.

#6 Connect Nook to Computer

On Mac, you must connect your Nook (or any other device) to the computer before launching ADE, or ADE won't see it

#7 Authorize Nook....

You probably would be better off explaining this as a set of steps right after step 3.  Other than this step which only needs to be done once, steps 4-12, need to be done on a per book basis.  If the user can't get the device to authorize to their ID, then one of steps 8,9,or 12 will fail.

#9 Drag and Drop book to Nook  (within/using ADE)

emphasize that this needs to be done in ADE ( where a lot of people go wrong is that they try to use Finder/Explorer instead of ADE)

#11 Prior to physically disconnecting the Nook, the user should 'Eject'/'Safely Remove' the device, which may require them to quit ADE first.  Not doing so may result in the book being only partially copied to their Nook.

Note, I said Nook because that's what you asked about, however the steps should be the same for any device that ADE directly supports (Kobo, COOLer, etc...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 19, 2012 Jan 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much Jim_Lester

This will be very helpfull!

Josie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 20, 2012 Jan 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still curious about this question:

1.  Regarding authorizing ADE on computer w/ AdobeID and the Nook registration ID.  Can these be different ID's or should they be the same?  I am going to assume that the patrons coming to my class will already have registered their Nook with B&N.  When they learn that they must download ADE software to their computer and "authorize" it with an Adobe ID, should they use the same ID they registered their Nook with?  Does it matter? 

Thanks -

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 20, 2012 Jan 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The email address you use for your B&N account, and the email address you use for your AdobeID do not have to match.   The important part is to be very consitent with the use of AdobeID across computers and accounts, and absolutely to not 'anonymously' activate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines