• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader X (10.1.2) will not print PDF documents (Windows XP Home -SP3)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2012 Jan 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the last two instances where I have tried to print PDF documents using Adobe Reader X version 10.1.2 the process has failed with the message "Adobe Reader has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience".

After the latest failure I carried out an uninstall and clean up of the application (using Revo Uninstaller Pro), did a fresh download of the product from the Adobe web site, and re-installed it. This made no difference.

As to the "inconvenience", the first document is a tax document required for a 2011 tax return, the second is $400 worth of show tickets.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On searching further through the Reader X forum I came across the following suggestion, as posted by McTimotei on April 26, 2011:

After opening Reader X, navigate to Edit/Preferences/General, untick the "Enable Protected Mode at startup" box at the foot of the form, and restart Reader X when prompted.

This appears to have resolved my problem (thanks, McTimotei). But why was this difference introduced in the latest release without any warning to users? By making this change am I exposing my system to any problems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we have provided the workarounds for Adobe Reader 10.1.2 print issues at http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/928/cpsid_92870.html

Meanwhile, we are working on providing a permanent fix to this and should soon roll out the same.

Thanks,

Atul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, Atul.

After following up the link that you provided however, I feel that information that appears there does not seem to cover the problem I had. I was neither working with a networked printer, nor having problems with the printer set-up options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2012 Feb 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Atul - thank you for trying to fix the problem.  I have downloaded and installed the _92870 fix and rebooted.  This did not fix my problem.

When I'm viewing the pdf document, I select the print option, this brings me to a screen where I'm able to select my printer etc, once I select PRINT from this screen, a dialoge pops up asking me to "save as".  The PDF never prints regardless of whether I save the document (per the Save As screen) or not. 

Any other suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 16, 2012 Feb 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please uncheck the "Print to File" option on the Print dialog. The option can be changed by clicking on the "Advanced" button on the Print dialog to bring up the Advanced Print Setup dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2012 Feb 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue. thank you for posting the setting change! it worked!!! and I use this computer for work, so it was getting to be a hassle. thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2012 Feb 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found another possible bug affecting network printing with 10.1.2 in Protected Mode on XP SP3 machines that has not been previously documented:

A number of users in one office were not able to print with 10.1.2 in Protected Mode (even with the printing hotfix/patch previously released) to their default printer; however they were able to print fine with 10.0.1 in Protected Mode OR by disabling Protected Mode in 10.1.2.  They could print to Microsoft XPS Document Writer, however.

The cause was determined to be an issue with capitilization of the printer name in the registry!  10.1.2 in Protected Mode seems to be sensitive to this for some strange reason, though other apps don't care.

Check the following keys and ensure the capitalization of any references to name of your printer (or UNC path of the printer share) is consistent:

HKCU\Printers\Connections

HKCU\Printers\Settings

HKCU\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\windows\Device

In our case, the reference to the name of the default printer was in lowercase, while the printer path recorded under settings was in UPPERCASE.   Changing this to match immediately fixed the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2012 Feb 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This resolved the problem here, too.

Rather than mess with the registry, I just re-created the problem printer with an all-lowercase name, shared it out, and suddenly printing works just fine from Reader X!

Thanks for a fantastic, if annoyingly necessary, work-around!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2012 Feb 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Scrawner! I don't know how you discovered this, but it did lead to a solution for us (after CPSID_92870 did not...)

In our case the server names for the problem printer were identical in Connections and Device (it has no entry in Settings), but with the first letter capitalized. Printers that weren't causing problems had the server name all lower case, so I changed the server name of the problem printer (in both places) to lower case, after which Reader 10.1.2 had no problem.

Please pay attention, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2012 Jan 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

some of my customers are also using WInXP SP3 with the new 10.2.1 of Adobe Reader. Since the update they have also problems with printing documents. but the reader isnt crashing. the problem is that adobe reader shows a doubled default printer and uses the "cloned" printer for default. the cloned printer has no print funktions and you are not able to open the printer settings. you have manuely set the right default or another printer to print the dokument. the problem is, that they use the reader to print out automaticly generated dokuments.

example:  winxp default printer: \\server\Printer_Share

Adobe shows in the printer list a \\server\Printer_Share as normal printer and a \\server\printer_share as default which has no printfunktions.

this issu is happening on windows 2003 sbs with winxp clients ans windows 2011 sbs and winxp clients. the sbs are the printservers.

any ideas on this?

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2012 Jan 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened up the print queue and tried to print a document and the document went to the printer and then immediately disappeared.  I am running Windows 7 64-bit.  Acrobat X Standard.  I ended up uninstalling and going back to 10.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 27, 2012 Jan 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please use the fix provided for Reader 10.1.2 at: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/928/cpsid_92870.html to solve your issue.

Avoid disabling the Protected Mode, to ensure that your system is not vulnerable to security threats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reinstalled the 10.1.2 update.   I tried to run the patch and the patch told me that I did not have Adobe Reader 10.1.2 installed.  Perhaps that is because I have the full Adobe X Standard.  So I attempted to print something and I noticed that the Print on Both Sides checkbox was checked.  So I unchecked that option and the problem was solved.

I am sure you are finding out that everyone uses Adobe Reader and that outside of corporate users, do not have duplex printers.  Even most small corporations don't have duplex printers.  Having the checkbox checked by default was not a good idea.

Thank you for your attempt at helping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more comment. As a software developer, when I add new features to the software I am working on I take great pains to ensure that my existing users are minimally affected by whatever changes I make.  The new features are available for them to use, but it's their choice to use them or not use them when they feel it's appropriate.  Rather than defaulting "Print on Both Sides" to checked.  On the installation dialog, below the progress bar you could have a panel showing people what new features are available.  Then the users who have duplex printers can choose to use this option.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2012 Jan 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/928/cpsid_92870.html

The patch provided at the above link as provided in your post seems to have fixed my problem -- thanks.

I must concur with ridawg however, that this situation should never have arisen. As a former software development / maintenance guy I agree that it is very important not to introduce unexpected changes in the behavior of an application (even when, as I have found to my cost, the change consists of the correction of a known and documented bug!). When such a change is absolutely necessary, the update information should make this absolutely clear to the user before the update is installed, along with a recommended circumvention.

Message was edited by: ʇɐb ɹəuəllıʍ - corr. URL link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 30, 2012 Jan 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This patch does not fix our problem. We are still experiencing the issue in our Tokyo Office after this patch was applied.

The Tokyo machines have the Japanese MUI for windows, we believe that could be a reason.

Adobe should not release something that is not fully tested. ALL of our users in Tokyo are having this issue.

Other other fixes would be appreciated also a possible description of what the CPSID_92870 patch actually does on the back end would be great too. That way if in the MUI something that hasn't changed and needs changing it would be easier to distinguish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 30, 2012 Jan 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Genghis,

I would like to set up an online connect session in order to gain more clarity on the issue faced by you.   Could you please send out an email at atulagar@adobe.com so that I can send you an invite for the same?

Thanks,

Atul Agarwal

Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2012 Feb 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Genghis K. wrote:

We are still experiencing the issue in our Tokyo Office after this patch was applied.

Have you tried both solutions in http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/928/cpsid_92870.html ?

I have no problems printing from Japanese Adobe Reader 10.1.2 on Japanese Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines