Exit

Linking RoboHelp9 to Word 2010

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2012 Jan 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again,

RH 9.0.2.271, Word 2010, Windows 7

I want to keep my Word document as the source document (because of equations and their updating).

I linked RoboHelp9 to Word using the File > Link command. After mapping the styles and updating, I now find that the files in RoboHelp are completey editable and they shouldn't be--to avoid losing changes.

Does the link command not work properly? I have repeated this process several times to ensure that I am not accidentally importing the file. I start with a brand new project each time.

Thanks for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linking doesn't mean that they aren't editable in RH - it just means that you shouldn't because you'll lose your edits the next time you update/refresh from the source.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but eeekkk!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure about the eeekkk! You wouldn't give your authors access to RH, right? They would just update the Word docs and you (the one who knows better) would use RH as an output tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2012 Jan 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a page on my site about linking that shows how you can prevent changes in the Word document from updating the RoboHelp topics, that is more for when you want to control when the topics get updated or to protect them from changes you have made deliberately and do not want the Update process to reverse.

Like Jeff, I cannot see why you expect RoboHelp to not allow changes as that is within your control.

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/importing/linking_rh9.htm

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2012 Jan 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My past experience using Author-it: When you “insert” a file into multiple documents, for example, copyright material, Author-it does not allow changes except to the source file. I was expecting similar behavior with RoboHelp. Fortunately, I can adapt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp