16 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2012 5:17 PM by Fraser Crozier RSS

DPS subscriptions: Background Downloads working?

Johannes Eckert Community Member

Last week I subscribed to The New Yorker to test iTunes subscriptions, Adobe DPS and Newsstand.

The newest issue "January 9, 2012" appears in my newsstand, but without the red badge on the newsstand icon, no notification at all and not downladed.

when I tap the new cover in the newsstand rack, the New Yorker App just starts and displays the old issue I was reading before.

Is this the supposed behaviour?

I thought the newest issue will be downladed in the background (background downloads are activated in settings)

—Johannes

• 1. Re: DPS subscriptions: Background Downloads working?

ehem, anyone? Klasjaan? Bob(s)?

• 2. Re: DPS subscriptions: Background Downloads working?
            johnm64 Community Member

I have a subscription to the New Yorker, also. Newstand behavior is inconsistent -- sometimes it indicates a new edition is available, sometimes, not. Sometimes the latest edition has been downloaded in the background, most often not. Downloading can be painful -- zips along to the very end then hangs. I need to delete what I have, then start over.

I usually archive an edition after I've read it. I often get notifications that an updated version is available -- what does that mean????

That said, the iPad version of the New Yorker is really great. My printed copy rarely gets opened.

• 3. Re: DPS subscriptions: Background Downloads working?
              ktukker1 Adobe Employee

Hi Johannes,

Was you device connected to WIFI when you expected the background download? Background download does not occur on 3G connections

With kind regards,

Klaasjan Tukker

Adobe Systems

• 4. Re: DPS subscriptions: Background Downloads working?
                mobly Community Member

I've just come on the forum to ask about dowmloading Wired and Project magazines. Pretty much since newsstand, downloading them has been very painful!

So wanted to ask if it was just me, seems not. It also doesnt seem to be an Adobe thing, although "project" magazine is woodwing, so may be they are using the Adobe solution now.

But anyway, downloading magazines for me has now become a pain!!

hope some one can sort it out, and I'm always on wifi.

cheers

alistair

• 5. Re: DPS subscriptions: Background Downloads working?

Klasjaan, thank you for your reply.

My device is always on Wifi when connected, I am not using 3G.

The New Yorker background downloading is not working.

PROJECT background downloading as well.

The Guardian is downloading and notifiying just well.

—Johannes

• 6. Re: DPS subscriptions: Background Downloads working?

want to clarify:

New Yorker and PROJECT are both -not- downloading in the background, even when subscribed.

The Guardian is downloading perfectly.

I am subscribed to New Yorker and PROJECT.

When I see the new New Yorker cover from today, I open the viewer app and just see one bought issue, nothging else.

IMG_0005.PNG

there should also be a "new" badge on the covers of The New Yorker or PROJECT (compare to The Guardian), or not?

IMG_0006.PNG

• 7. Re: DPS subscriptions: Background Downloads working?
                      mobly Community Member

Hi Johannes

Remember the Guardian is a bespoke app, and they may have written their own code for the "new" badge. we dont get that with DPS.

Are you not having problems with Wired. Wired does not download in the background for me either.

What do yo think of Project? I'm a bit bored of it now, and I hate the very poor typography in it, Thet must use web guys to put it together who

have no idea about type!!

Cheers

Alistair

• 8. Re: DPS subscriptions: Background Downloads working?

Alistair,

I think the "New"-Badge is comming from iOS when a newsstand app fires a

notification or whatever. I have a red one badge on the newsstand icon, and

this should be a "3" or so with a "New" stripe on PROJECT and New Yorker as

well, wether it is a DPS-app or not.

As far as I know this is the expected behaviour.

+ background downloading.

I am not subscribed to WIRED.

But I am subscribed to PROJECT as well, wich yes, was better before, but I

havent read the last two issues because i am really tired to wait 30

Minutes for the 600-MB download to finish.

This is the reason I subscribed. To get the issue in the background and

enjoy reading. I do not enjoy right now.

—Johannes

• 9. Re: DPS subscriptions: Background Downloads working?
                          mobly Community Member

I think the problem is that when the iPad goes to sleep the wifi switches off. I read somewhere that Adobe were going to be able to overide this

but that doesnt seem to have happened so far. I havent manually changed how long it takes before the ipad goes into sleep mode, have you tried this to see if that helps? I know its still not background loading, maybe you do this anyway?

Alistair

• 10. Re: DPS subscriptions: Background Downloads working?

The problem you are referring to are active downloads within the multi folio viewer that might stop when the iPad screen goes out. iOS5 background downloading is expected to work when the iPad is in sleep mode. It works for the Guardian and all the other push notifications.

It more looks like there are problems from the adobe servers pushing new issues and notifications. Push Notifications was not working correctly within the past months and I think background downloading has the same problems.

For now, "Newsstand support" just means that the Magazine appears in the newsstand app with the latest cover. Nothing more for me.

—Johannes

• 11. Re: DPS subscriptions: Background Downloads working?

just an update to the New Yorker situation above, it now recognizes that I am a subscriber, the Subscribe_Tile (DE) disappeared and it shows SOME issues, not all. But here you see the problem: They are already bought, but not downloaded.

I now need to init the download and wait for minutes for the issue to appear. And don't want to do that because I will be out of Wifi any minute soon (out of home) and then I am not sure that I can continue the download the next time I am on wifi, that never worked good. So I will not download at all. Great. There goes the reading experience ...

IMG_0007.PNG

—Johannes

• 12. Re: DPS subscriptions: Background Downloads working?

I set my iPad's language to english and wow — The NewYorker looks amazing. They have a beautiful and great store.

As far as I could recognize it, today the newsstand showed to correct cover for the new issue without opening it (the app might be running in the background).

But background downloads and notification: still not working.

the newsstand SHOULD look like this, right?

http://www.undsoversum.de/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/newsstand-s.png

when I open the new yorker app now I still get this: all issues purchased but not downloaded.

Is there something wrong at the NewYorker or is this a server issue?

am I supposed to see the progress of the background download inside the library view of the viewer?

IMG_0024.PNG

• 13. Re: DPS subscriptions: Background Downloads working?
                                  johnm64 Community Member

Today latest New Yorker had downloaded in the background and was ready for viewing when I opened the library. This is a rare occurance.

• 14. Re: DPS subscriptions: Background Downloads working?
                                    John J Metzger Adobe Employee

FYI - We are working with several publishers trying to improve the reliability of background downloading. Some use Adobe's notification service, others use their own. Plus we have Apple and iOS in the mix with their rules around newstand notifications and when they allow an app to wake up. It's an intricate system that's requiring some time to perfect.

• 15. Re: DPS subscriptions: Background Downloads working?

good news — something changed. Now I get a "new" badge, the red one AND a completed background download of the latest new yorker from today.

hooray.

i cant remember seeing one in the notification center, but the backgorund downloading is the best thing that could happen.

thanks.

IMG_0035.PNG

—Johannes

• 16. Re: DPS subscriptions: Background Downloads working?
                                        Fraser Crozier

What is the latest from Adobe on background downloads? The full story would be nice.