• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat forums

LEGEND ,
Jan 12, 2012 Jan 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that the Acrobat forums are moving to http://answers.acrobatusers.com/ (not sure if that's a good idea or bad yet. I know the forum layout sucks eggs on a Mac in all browsers but that's another story) but, shouldn't there still be a notice or something letting people know where to go? They marked read-only but nothing is on the page explaining why or where to go?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 12, 2012 Jan 12, 2012

It really the other way around. You can post questions at answers.acrobatusers.com, but it's really intended for short, simple questions. Folks there have been told to direct more complicated questions to the Acrobat forums here, which are now almost the same sub-forums as the old acrobatusers forum.

The Windows and Mac Acrobat sub-forums here have been discontinued (made readonly). Folks just need to post in one of the other sub-forums, as appropriate.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It really the other way around. You can post questions at answers.acrobatusers.com, but it's really intended for short, simple questions. Folks there have been told to direct more complicated questions to the Acrobat forums here, which are now almost the same sub-forums as the old acrobatusers forum.

The Windows and Mac Acrobat sub-forums here have been discontinued (made readonly). Folks just need to post in one of the other sub-forums, as appropriate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah. Thanks George. I was reading the notice incorrectly.

Guess I better create some more bookmarks...

Still trying to decide what I think about answers.acrobatusers.com. I'll get used to it I suppose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who's dumb idea was that?

Anybody with any age on the Internet, are familiar with the Platforms Flame wars of the 80's  Pc users can't lower themselves to answer questions Mac Users ask.

I go through that even now on the Dreamweaver forum. Every time I've ever asked a simple question on it I've received crickets chirping.  I've been on one form or another of the acrobat Pro Forum since version 3. With this change Its possible I may have to leave, permanently. I am sure there are plenty of people on this forum that will get together from all over the world in one spot, with one loud cheer if I do.  I've am trying 3 of the sub forums created. and if a Put out an answer it will be based on my Mac experience. I better not get a smart aleck answer from a PC person. I don't care what platform anyone use. Windows, Mac, BEOS, OS2, NEXT, UNIX, Linux.  But there are some that think their Platform is the only one to use. I might even think so. But I am not going to beat up any one over it.  You use what what you use.

I still think to avoid confusion, and prevent relutance of people giving answers to do so, Programs should be separated according to platform to prevent friction and prevent people giving good answers for fear of reprisals, being made fun of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I better not get a smart aleck answer from a PC person. I don't care what platform anyone use. Windows, Mac, BEOS, OS2, NEXT, UNIX, Linux.  But there are some that think their Platform is the only one to use. I might even think so. But I am not going to beat up any one over it.  You use what what you use.

Philip, please go re-read your post.

Your intent appears to be to express the hope that people will be polite in the forum and that you won't get a "smart aleck answer from a PC person."

But you phrase your hopes in a not-very nice way, and you start out with an ad hominem attack against the forum maintainers.

This is not a good way to promote collegial discussion!

Imagine the person who made the decision is reading this thread.

How do you think they feel to have their decision called a "dumb idea"?

Do you think it makes them respect you?

Also, it's possible that they thought this was 100% the right way to go and had no downsides. But I think it is much more likely that they thought it was 90% right with 10% downsides, or 80% right with 20% downsides, or some other number between 51% and 95%. That is, they knew there would be problems with their choice.

With that thought, then, it must be double frustrating to be badmouthed over a problem that doesn't really have a good solution.

So Philip, please, consider the feeling of the people reading your posts.

And moreover, please be polite and professional.

If you these forums have an established standard of politeness, then others will be polite by default. If it's badmouthing freeforall, then "platform wars" of the sort you deride are only more likely.

Thanks for listening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 13, 2012 Jan 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure the combining of the two or more forums into one was a good idea. There are specific problems with each of the platforms and for a PC user to have to wade through MAC specific issues and vice-versa is not necessarily a good idea. There are even all sorts of issues on the PC side with different platforms of 32 and 64 bit, etc.

On another note, my initial reaction to the sub-forums is not positive since I now have to wade through several sub-forums to make comments. It would be nice if I had the option to see all of the stuff in one global forum if I so chose and not have to do the sub-forum navigation. I have also noted that the shading to show you have been there and are up-to-date does not seem to work yet. Maybe I have just not visited enough sub-forums yet. Of course, the shading never did work too well since it was not very distinctive -- bad choice of colors. Looks like there may have been many issues this morning as I kept getting server errors, but maybe that will go away.

So, overall I do not seem to be that supportive of the change. I will give it a try and over time as I get more familiar with it I may change my mind. There is that factor of change that always gets in the way. Hopefully I have been fair in my comments about the changes. As with all change, there are pros and cons. Only time will tell for sure. Unfortunately, these forums seem to be ones that have change and if some things are found to not work too well, the don't go back.

On a positive side for the sub-forums, it may help folks looking for specific help to find it more easily. It would just be nice for folks like me to be able to browse them all without having to select each sub-forum. I.E., have a global view that does not require going into the sub-forums. It might even be that a user selectable view is created that allows a user the choice of sub-forums to be displayed in such a global view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree I don't see the logic in have two Forums and to make it efficient 10 different sub folders to do the same as two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Hawkinson wrote:

I better not get a smart aleck answer from a PC person. I don't care what platform anyone use. Windows, Mac, BEOS, OS2, NEXT, UNIX, Linux.  But there are some that think their Platform is the only one to use. I might even think so. But I am not going to beat up any one over it.  You use what what you use.

Philip, please go re-read your post.

Your intent appears to be to express the hope that people will be polite in the forum and that you won't get a "smart aleck answer from a PC person."

But you phrase your hopes in a not-very nice way, and you start out with an ad hominem attack against the forum maintainers.

This is not a good way to promote collegial discussion!

Imagine the person who made the decision is reading this thread.

How do you think they feel to have their decision called a "dumb idea"?

Do you think it makes them respect you?

Also, it's possible that they thought this was 100% the right way to go and had no downsides. But I think it is much more likely that they thought it was 90% right with 10% downsides, or 80% right with 20% downsides, or some other number between 51% and 95%. That is, they knew there would be problems with their choice.

With that thought, then, it must be double frustrating to be badmouthed over a problem that doesn't really have a good solution.

So Philip, please, consider the feeling of the people reading your posts.

And moreover, please be polite and professional.

If you these forums have an established standard of politeness, then others will be polite by default. If it's badmouthing freeforall, then "platform wars" of the sort you deride are only more likely.

Thanks for listening.

If it was so difficult, why was it changed. The current system was working perfectly fine.  how is it more efficient to have two forums. Then close them and creat 8 or 10 others. Hows that making the system easy to organize. To me it making the system more complex and unwieldy keep up with.  Maybe I should not have have used the term dumb. But they should think not like moderators or maintainers  but as users. Users are the one that have to use the system. The only reason we had politeness was because of the separation.  I've been on many newsgroups, Forums and the Like. and when different platforms were lumped together for the sake of brevity. Those news groups/ forums have "always" without exception went down hill. Microsoft just got through this fall putting Mac and PC People on the same (Answers) system except the separated  for Mac and PC. They found from experience to separate the Platforms.  I am even a Microsoft Community Star supplying many answers along with the MVP's . I was even asked whether I wished to become an MVP but I turned the offer down, because Personally I didn't feel qualified enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 14, 2012 Jan 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phil,

It was changed because there were two Acrobat related forums that were controlled by Adobe. The forums here were the first, but about five years ago AcrobatUsers.com was established and it included its own forum, which was divided into a number of sub-forums. The decision was made to move those forums here and maintain a number of the subforums that were available there. I think it makes a lot of sense to unify the two forums in this way.

There is supposed to be a means for users to indicate which OS and version of Acrobat they're using, but it doesn't seem to have been implemented yet. This should help folks who answer questions understand what they're dealing with.

Apart from spammers, bad behavior in the Acrobat forums it rare. I am not concerned even a little bit about Mac/Windows wars breaking out. I've found the regulars there to be very helpful, patient, courteous, and giving of their time and knowledge. And they respond to questions relating to both OSes, even when they are posted to the wrong subforum. I bet it will stay that way.

I like Bill's suggestion of having a means to see all posts to the Acrobat forums at once. With the old acrobatusers forum, you could get a list of all recent posts and it would include all regardless of subforum. This made things much easier. I do not know if this forum software allows for that though. I'm currently using a bookmark folder with the various forums and just go down the list. This is not too much different than a month ago when I regularly visited the Acrobat Mac, Windows, JavaScript, SDK, Feature Requests, Reader, and Reader-iOS subforums. There's just a few more to check now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 14, 2012 Jan 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've signed up to several of the  new Forums. And so far only one time has there been any indication what version, what Platfor, what version leavel or anything . Just explaination of problems.  For example the was a question about not being able to do anything XML based file. The answer suggested, was for them to go to LiveCycle Forum. Yet there was no indication whether the User was a Mac User or a PC User. Even Acrobat for Mac can open XML Based PDFs written my Live Cycle. but Mac users can't alter or even write to XML Based PDF's. Unless They sve them as regular PDF's then make them a Form.

The only way for what you suggest to work, where people have to  give information about whether PC or Mac is fill out the following criteria.

1. Acrobat version and latest revision (AcrobatProX.1.2, Acrobat 9.4.1, etc. Acrobat Standard)
  2. Type Computer (Mac, PC, Linux, Unix, BEOS, etc.)
  3. System (OX.6.8, X.7.2 Mac, or XP Sp3, window 7 Sp2, etc.)
  4. Type Processor ( Xenon,  Intel i7, etc)
  5. Amount of RAM ( 2,4,8 GB, etc)
  6. Speed of computer (2.8 Ghz, etc)

And it should be mandentory to fill out before they can even ask the question.

either required for each question asked. Or should be part of your profile and automatically transmitted with the question.

Otherwise the system will fail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 16, 2012 Jan 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you are overthinking this one Phillip. It will do just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not so far. Even the fellow that was an expert on That Mac Acrobat forums all the time. Not once has he posted anything in the new system. Its been all PC users. The Mac users have been scared away.  Now they will have to come up with their own answers. Or not use use what they intended.  The will lead Adobe to believethat Mac users have quit using Acrobat and kill the product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Phillip

Speaking as a devout PC user, I can attest that you put me in front of a Mac and I'm lost. Things simply work differently on a Mac operating system than they do on a PC system.

So perhaps the crickets you are hearing are simply folks that are aware you are on a Mac and they simply don't know how to help? Hard as Adobe seems to try to make things the same between Mac and PC software, there are still differences.

Just pondering out loud... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I can agree with what you say. If I were to meet a PC user (not including family members, Family members Iam already friendly with), would shake there hands pat on their back and say your so and so and be very friendly.

But the hard Facts are. That you take two people, one PC and one Mac sit them down together and have them swap Computers. Both wouldn't know how to make any application to work. Key codes are totally different. feature that an application has Some are in PC version. Some in the Mac version. Then some features that are in Mac version are not in PC version and the other way around.

Computer-wise Mac People and people have absolutely nothing in common.  So If you aim to answer a question and are not told beforehand what Platform  if I answer  based on Mac Mac experience to a PC person, it will be useless as certain apendeges on a Boar Hog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip Jones wrote:

That you take two people, one PC and one Mac sit them down together and have them swap Computers.

I use both. Sometimes I have the uncontrollable urge to wear cargo shorts and a suit jacket with a tie at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip,

I think that you might be refering to certain forums only. On the various Premiere forums, we PC-only users try our best, though often do have to hold-up, waiting for a Mac-user, with intimate knowledge of the problem, to do the final work on an issue. Along the way, many of us have learned a bit about Mac's, though certainly not enough to help all program users.

Now, that is but a small sub-set of Adobe PC-users, but they try mightily, to help folk on both platforms.

Just an observation,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2012 Jan 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back to another of the issues that I mentioned and find annoying. In the discussion list of my stuff, the discussion seem to be highlighted. However, in the sub-forum lists, the discussions are no longer highlighted giving info as to anything new posted in the discussions. Since there is also not a next button in the disscussions (eliminated with the previous forum revision), it is more difficult to scan through posts.

The organization of the forums appears to be reasonable for a user coming to the forums to find help on a specific topic, but discourages those of us who come to the forums to provide help to bother browsing to see where the problems might be and even learn about some aspect we have not dealt with ourselves. So providing the ability to see all the subforums as a single list should be an option as I already mentioned. Unfortunately, bookmarks only seen to help with discussions, not sub-forums or I would already have all the subforums bookmarked. From a sub-forum, you can open up to see all posts, but you can not open the forum to see all sub-forums. The All Contents in the forum only shows 2 items, not the info in the sub-forums. So there seems to be an inconsistence in the use of the All Content tab. In fact, I am not sure what the All Content in the forum is for. It seems to point to some useful FAQs, not to all the content.

I would also like to see the sub-window on the left of the forum have an option to go away. It might be useful for newcomers, but wastes my screen for listing the forums, and I am on a wide screen. I can only imagine what it looks like on a narrow screen.

For me, I am finding the new format a bit cumbersome and it has discouraged me from bothering to go through posts to try to help. If those of us who provide help quit coming to the forums, then what is the point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going to agree with Bill on this.

Another issue is that you can't tell which threads you have visited (like it was in here for a while). Or, how many replies are in a thread. At least the layout and operation should be identical to the rest of the forums don't you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seems to be an attitude that change is good. I do not necessarily agree, but then I am getting old enough that I really do not like change. When we moved about 10 years ago, we thought we would get out of town -- looks like we did not go far enough with the change all around us. Oh well, that is why the call it old age I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 18, 2012 Jan 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it ain't Broke, Don't Fix it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2012 Jan 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill@VT wrote:

There seems to be an attitude that change is good.

Oh, I'm all for change if it's for a good reason but I really can't see that reason here. I mean, combining the Win/Mac sides is fine. No problem there but, the navigation in the new areas is horrible. Also, it seems that whomever made the decision to change the layout so it is completely different from the rest of the entire forum collection really needs to brush up or at least be involved in a usability study. Sheesh, that's Usability 101 right there. Don't make it look like people are going to a completely different site.

In the meantime, I just need to stay out of the Acrobat forums...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2012 Jan 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just ignore my blathering above. It was definitely PEBCAK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 27, 2012 Jan 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, at least I learned a new acronym, much more humorous, than plain old "OE."

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 27, 2012 Jan 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually it should have been PEBKAC (C not K) but, I have issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2012 Jan 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, a new one is needed in my case (I have just made it up): PEBBFFC (between brain and fingers, and between fingers and computer) -

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines