• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I send an online pdf by email (complete form)

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2012 Jan 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi experts,

prior to acrobat X and windows7 it was possible to add a submit button enable additional rights for adobe reader and the form would be attached to an email and sent to the recipient.

This doesn't seem to work in windows7 environments any more.

I have followed all tutorials and tips but nothing seem to work

I have tried to use javascript instead according to the following maildoc tutorial

http://livedocs.adobe.com/acrobat_sdk/9.1/Acrobat9_1_HTMLHelp/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?...

Even if I use the simple example in the tutorial

this.mailDoc(true);

this.mailDoc({

bUI: false,

cTo: "myemail@gmail.com",

cSubject: "The Latest News",

cMsg: "A.P., attached is my latest news story in PDF."

});

it won't work.

I have tried thunderbird and live email as default clients, the result is the same:

In chrome => an empty email opens

in firefox => the attachment is included but no email recipient or subject line

in internet explorer => same, attachment is included but no emeil recipient or subject line

In the preferences I have enabled menu items Javascript execution privileges just in case this was an issue but to no avail.

Isn't sending a complete form by email an option anymore?

I need this feature.

Thanks in advance for any helpl.

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

you didn't read this page carefully, since it also gives the answer:

"Beginning with Acrobat 7.0, the code below would have to be executed in a privileged context if thebUI parameter (set to false) is to be honored."

==> http://livedocs.adobe.com/acrobat_sdk/9.1/Acrobat9_1_HTMLHelp/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thanks for your reply. I did read this passage and as I posted above I have enabled the javascript execution privileges but unfortunately to no avail.

If I use the normal submit by email button method I am getting an error message that one of the recipient's email addresses can't be resolved (no matter what email I am using). This does not happen in Windows XP so it is most likely windows 7 related (and it is not only on my PC so it doesn't seem to be a problem of a specific PC configuration)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem seems to be with Acrobat Reader. I found this thread describing exactly the same problem with a form created in another program but sent with Acrobat Reader. If the form is sent with another pdf Reader it is reported to work fine:

http://community.nitropdf.com/nitropdf/topics/e_mail_adress_correct_but_nitro_pdf_does_not_send

My form is created with Acrobat X ... but it can't be sent by email using Acrobat Reader

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have enabled the javascript execution privileges but unfortunately to no avail.

Privileged context is something more elaborate than a single checkbox in Preferences:

http://livedocs.adobe.com/acrobat_sdk/9.1/Acrobat9_1_HTMLHelp/JS_API_AcroJSPreface.87.6.html

and

http://livedocs.adobe.com/acrobat_sdk/9.1/Acrobat9_1_HTMLHelp/JS_API_AcroJS.88.167.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm ... what do you mean with "more elaborated". The page you are quoting says

Beginning with Acrobat 7.0, execution of JavaScript through a menu event is no longer privileged. You can execute security-restricted methods through menu events in one of the following ways:   

By opening the JavaScript category of the Acrobat preferences and checking the item named “Enable Menu Items JavaScript Execution Privileges”.

This is exactly what I have done. What else do you think needs to be considered? And why is it working in windows xp but not in windows7?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This only applies when you're executing the code "through menu events" (ie: through a menu item added by a folder-level script to the GUI of Acrobat, either by using app.addMenuItem() or app.addToolButton()), and you are executing it from a document-level script, which is not the same at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Acrobat/Reader 10.1.1. update, Adobe has changed the location where trusted functions are located. There is a folder for Adobe products for scripts that requires special privileges.

User JavaScript Changes for 10.1.1 (Acrobat | Reader)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. I am not a programmer but have bought a several hundred dollor program because I want to create interactive web forms.

Actually I didn't want to use javascript in the first place but an action button.

According to the Acrobat Website this should be an option

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/acrobat/pro/using/WSBB6EF75F-BC3D-4094-B787-FB76DAE1EBDC.w.html

However, it doesn't work in Windows 7

In order to find another solution I have used the adobe example javascript and I am struggeling for days to get it work.

Where can I find a tutorial that doesn't require advanced programmer skills in order to use the program?

A sample file and a short note if some preferences of the program should be changed.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Acrobat/Reader 10.1.1. update, Adobe has changed the location where trusted functions are located. There is a folder for Adobe products for scripts that requires special privileges.

User JavaScript Changes for 10.1.1 (Acrobat | Reader)

The link refers to files and folders on the local PC. What I want to achieve is sending a webform (in the internet) by email. I don't think that these changes where Adobat has placed any files on the PC make a difference to webforms. I can change the files on my local PC but not on the PCs of the people who are supposed to fill in the form. I have installed a fresh Acrobat X and there are no old folders from which I could move any previously used javascripts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has nothing to do with your version of Windows. Bottom line is this: you

don't need any scripts.

Just add a button with the "Submit a form" action, and as the URL you can

use this syntax:

mailto:me@server.com?subject=subject line&body=this is some text

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. But this is what I tried at the first place.

If I do so it won't work if I open the form on a windows 7 machine. Then I will get the error message that "one of the recipients email addesses can't be resolved" (advanced adobe reader options are enabled).

It does work if I open the webform on a windows XP machine.

(same error as described here by another person http://community.nitropdf.com/nitropdf/topics/e_mail_adress_correct_but_nitro_pdf_does_not_send when the form is opened with acrobat reader)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like the email address you're using is not valid. Could you post the

entire string you entered into the URL field?

Also, what's the default email client on both machines?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried several email addresses and added nothing more but mailto:myname@gmx.net

(I tried some other mails too no special characters involved)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the email clients?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First I set thunderbird as default email program. Then I tried live mail but the same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be an issue with the MAPI setting of these applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the xp machine the form will open with outlook express even though default email is thunderbird. This is why I installed and tried to get it to work with live mail. But it didn't make a difference.

It's not only at my windows 7 machine but others can't send the form too with windows 7.

I am wondering ... is there anybody who has a webform where send by email works on windows 7?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at this page to make sure your Thunderbird is MAPI-compliant:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_mail_client

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for taking the time to investigate this issue. I have checked thunderbird settings according to the referenced page and thunderbird is set up correctly as default mail client.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have uploaded a test-webform. May I ask those who are reading this to test if you are able to send it with Acrobat Reader (not Acrobat Pro) (especially if you are on a windows 7 machine)?

According to my tests it works fine on windows XP and Linux but always fails in windows 7

http://killerthemes.de/form/webform.pdf

Thank you in advance!

p.s. the send button is a simple action button submit form with a mailto:myemail@example.com and extended reader functions enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2012 Jan 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anybody with windows 7 who can confirm receiving an error message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@try67...I am waiting for my Adobe Acrobat X Pro to arrive...Will I be able to create a fillable form and export it to Constant contact? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what "Constant contact" means...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an online email service

ConstantContact.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines