Exit

problem importing Help topics from FrontPage into RoboHelp

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2006 Sep 27, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,
This is my first time here.
I am a tech. writer in my first job (I've been here a couple of weeks).
My company has just purchsed RoboHelp, and wants to import it's Help topics from FrontPage (which I know nothing about) into RoboHelp (which I know a teeny bit about).
I know the other tech writer here tried to import the topics, and had R.H. continually crash.
I am the only tech. writer here for the week (aaaggghh! lol), and I need to know how to fix this problem.
Please, when you respond, imagine that you are taling to a first grader , and keep the instuctions simple.
Thanks in advance,
Leigh-Anne

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a duplicate post.

Click here to see the other thread

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leigh-Anne

I suppose it's safe to assume you are using RoboHelp HTML? I see you posted both in the RoboHelp for Word as well as the RoboHelp HTML categories. So which are you using?

There are many things to consider with all this. For example:

* Where is the project? Local PC or Network?
* When RoboHelp crashes, are you importing multiple FrontPage topics or just one?
* Are any FrontPage specific features being used? Includes and whatnot?

Perhaps we can finally arrive at a conclusion, but I'm guessing it will be more of a series of questions and answers.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2006 Sep 28, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your help!

I inadvertenly posted in RoboHelp for Word.
Yes I am using RoboHelp HTML.

The project is in a Network.

RoboHelp crashes only when we have tried to import topics with graphics.
I have since learned that it is bad to import graphics - especially if there already in the project - I've heard this much, but don't know why.

I have no idea if there are any FrontPage specific special features being used, and there isn't anyone around until Monday that I can ask.

I'm not sure if this problem is something I can be methodically be walked through to fix, or if I should leave it until Monday when someone with more knowledge/ experience is around.

Let me know what you think,
Leigh-Anne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leigh-Anne. First off don't woory about being on your own. We'll all been there at some point and come out the other side.

Rick asked you whether you had the project on a network because this is the cause of so many RH problems. The underlaying Access DB in RH doesn't work at all well there. It is highly recommended that you work on your local PC and back up to a network each night. You say there are two of you. If you are using the RoboSource control features of RHX5 then you can have the project on a network but the actual source files must be stored and changed on your PCs.

You could try creating a new RH project and import the FrontPage topics a few at a time. If this works, try a few more into the RH project. Repeat this until you hit the problem. Once you do, import the topics one at a time until you hit the problem. This will identify the offending topic - if indeed the problem is in a topic! Once you're there, try creating a new topic and cut and paste the old topic's elements into the new topic. It's all a process of elimination I'm afraid.

Try this and come back to the forum with any further problems you find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum,

Wow, what a quick answer - thanks for that!

Before I do anything, I just wanted to clarify a few things.

We are using MS Visual SourceSafe 6.0, and not RoboSource control - does that make any difference?

I think that everything was going well importing the topics until we tried to import topics with graphics in them, and that's when RH continually crashed. It's only those particular topics that seemed to cause the problem.

I did try cutting and pasting the "offending topics", and RH did not like this, and would again crash.

The graphics are already imported into the project, and that doesn't seem to bother RH.

Any new marching orders for me?
Leigh-Anne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leigh-Anne. SourceSafe will not make a difference so you're OK storing the files on a network and downloading them to a local drive. Onto the problem. So if you remove the graphics from one topic, the topic imports OK? Can you tell us a little more about the grahics (e.g. format, etc). I guess they are nothing out of the ordinary so it may be something specific to MS FrontPage. If so, maybe Rick can pick this one up again whilst I go home for some R&R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks to there are pngs, jpgs, bmp, and something called vsds - which to me means "ventrical septal defect" - I was a kinesiologist until just recently. This is the reason I haven't got a clue as to what is going on.

So, anything sound strange about this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leigh-Anne

I could be wrong here, but the VSD may indicate a Microsoft Visio drawing. These might be causing RoboHelp to gag.

kinesiology looks interesting!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 29, 2006 Sep 29, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leigh-Anne. A .VSD file is indeed a Visio file and may be the cause of the problem. Have you got access to a copy of Visio - it sounds like someone there does - as you can use Visio to save the image in just about any format. Just open the .VSD file in Visio and use the File | Save As option to save as a .GIF, .JPG or whatever. Then replace the .VSD file with the new image. Try this and hopefully this will help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no problem keeping the VSD file in the project after saving it as a GIF or JPG image (after all, you or someone else is going to have to modify that image, again and again, so it has to be available).

The problem arises if you insert the VSD file in the topic instead of the RH-supported GIF or JPG. Frontpage probably supported that, but RH certainly does not.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks to you all,

My partner in crime (other tech writer) will be back on Mon.
He has more technical experience than I do, so Ill catch him up to speed, and we'll try and problem solve this thing together.
You may hear from up again on Monday

Thanks again, you guys are great!
Leigh-Anne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp