• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does it not work?

New Here ,
Sep 28, 2006 Sep 28, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a web site on our intranet built with webhelp. It works fine on every other XP machine besides mine. When I load the page, it does not populate the left pane; (where TOC, Index normally appear). and pressing the search or TOC or index button gets an javascript void (null) message. Does anybody experience this before? My computer admin are at a standstill. I have X5 on my machine and develop other apps that work fine on my hard drive but experience the same problems on the web server. Any help will be mucho appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2006 Sep 28, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a yellow bar above the webhelp and if you click top right of it, is there an Allow Active X? Click that.

It's a Windows XP SP2 thing when webhelp is run from a hard disk rather than a server.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2006 Sep 29, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no yellow bar above the webhelp nor Allow Active X.

The app was built with RH X4.1. The top and right panels load correctly. When I click glossary, the term and definition label come up but they do not populate. Likewise, search, the text box appears, you type in a word, click the magnyfing glass, and poof nothing happens. I have X5 on my machine.

Any input would be appreciated. TIA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MemphisMatt

I see Peter has been in the thread, but I think he is off on holiday. So I'll try to help.

In your initial post, you said: I have X5 on my machine and develop other apps that work fine on my hard drive but experience the same problems on the web server.

I'm a bit confused.

* Are "other apps" other applications than RoboHelp?
* Are "other apps" simply other RoboHelp projects?
* Are you saying that whatever you create using your machine, you always have issues on the web server? RoboHelp or otherwise?

Seems there are too many questions with unknown answers to hazard a halfway educated guess here.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick and Peter for your assistance.

Here's the answers to your questions.

* Are "other apps" other applications than RoboHelp? No
* Are "other apps" simply other RoboHelp projects? Yes
* Are you saying that whatever you create using your machine, you always have issues on the web server? RoboHelp or otherwise? No not necessarily. The major problem is only on the server and ONLY on my machine. I publish, go to the server and I experience the problems described above. However other users can go to the ones I publish and have no problems.

Thanks, Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2006 Oct 02, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have attached some code of whskin_pdhtml.html, which seems to be the problem whithe the left side panel populating. Is this - If then else - part of the original code?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 03, 2006 Oct 03, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MemphisMatt,

This is the standard RH code for displaying the panes. I don't see how it could be a source of trouble.

First, let's make sure I have this straight.
You are using RH 4.x to generate Webhelp on an XP machine.
You are using Interent Explorer at least V 5.5. Any earlier IE browser will have problems But if you have XP, you must have the current IE browser. If you are using a browser other than IE, you will have problems that can be solved.

As I understand your situation,

1. You generate a WebHelp project, but when you open the version stored on your hard drive in IE, it doesn't work. This is normal with XP -- If WebHelp is on a local hard drive, XP will interfere. However, XP should not interfere with WebHelp stored on a server, so long as your security settings are not at the highest level.

2. You publish the WebHelp to a server. Everyone else can open it up with TOC, etc., with IE. At this point, I'm not sure what comes next in your situation:

(a) You cannot open it up with TOC, etc., from the server using IE. Are you certain you are accessing it from the server and not from your hard drive? Are your XP Internet security settings too high? If everyone else can open it from the server, the problem is not in the WebHelp output.

(b) You can open it with TOC, etc., on the server, but still can't when you try to access the WebHelp stored on your hard drive. See No. 1, above.

(c) You can open every other WebHelp package stored on the server with IE, but not this one in IE. If this were true for other users, I could suggest where to look. But since you say everyone else can open it with TOC, etc., in IE, the finger points to your PC.

Please clarify.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harvey,

Thanks on the code comment.

You are using RH 4.x to generate Webhelp on an XP machine. Actually using X5. I have current browser IE6 with SP2

1. You generate a WebHelp project, but when you open the version stored on your hard drive in IE, it doesn't work. This is normal with XP -- If WebHelp is on a local hard drive, XP will interfere. However, XP should not interfere with WebHelp stored on a server, so long as your security settings are not at the highest level. Security settings are set at medium.

2. You publish the WebHelp to a server. Everyone else can open it up with TOC, etc., with IE. At this point, I'm not sure what comes next in your situation: On my machine only, the left panel does not populate. I get javascript null messages when I hit one of the buttons (index, search, toc). The error message on the page says: line 222, character 3, Automation server can't creat objecte, code 0, referencing the following page: whskin_pdhtml.htm

I agree the problem is probably with my machine, because I can publish to the server. The app works for everyone but me. But I do not know what could be causing the error message and preventing it from loading correctly on MY machine.

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, not to be too picky -- Well, yes, to be picky:

I don't understand what this means:
"The app works for everyone but me."

I don't think of WebHelp as an app. What I think you're saying that the Internet Explorer app will open this particular WebHelp package with TOC, etc., for everyone else, but not for you, from the server.

You didn't specifically confirm whether you can use IE to open all other WebHelp packages stored on the same server, with TOC, etc., but not this one,

and

everyone else can use IE to open all WebHelp packages stored on the same server.

Is this the case?

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harvey,

Ok be picky on terminology.

I probably should of said the Webhelp Project works on the server for for everyone but me. And I published it!

So yes, I am saying that the Internet Explorer app will open this particular WebHelp package with TOC, etc., for everyone else, but not for me, from the server. I can not use IE to open other WebHelp packages stored on the same server, with TOC, etc., and again, everyone else can use IE to open all the WebHelp projects stored on the same server and have no problems. so undoubtly, it's my machine or something set on the server from preventing this user from creating the object listed above in the referenced html page.

Hope I'm making better sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the key is that you can't open any WebHelp package on the server.

I'd start by comparing all settings between your machine and someone else's.

IE, general Internet, popup blockers, guest toolbars (Yahoo! for example), MS Office, network server permissions (database admin or sys admin). Do you have any utilities running in the background that the others don't have?

Good luck,

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 04, 2006 Oct 04, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Aren't there also one or two virus apps that wreak havoc within RH projects and within the output?

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp