• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exact Printing of a PDF File (no scaling)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2012 Jan 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We create forms as PDF's that we publish on our WEB site.  We also have vendors that produce the same documents with 2D barcodes as PDF's.  We scan/image the returned doucuments and run OCR, ICR and 2D interpretation of data.  When the public prints the documents in Adobe Reader with scaling set to none (or actual size in Reader X), everything is fine.  The issue is when the the users leave the size option set to something other than none or actual.  We have margins over 1/2 inch on all sides and the pages will always scale.  This moves the exact positioning of the fixed print documents and shrinks the 2D barcodes to where they are unreadable.  We have the page scaling set to none in the document itself but of course the user can always override.

I have been told that if you change the size of the page to something less than 8 1/2 by 11, you can prevent the scaling.  I have played with this and found that what works best for a laser printer is different than what works with an inkjet.  Does anyone know a size that will prevent scaling on the most printers?

Is there any other way to prevent a PDF document from scaling?  I have even created a PDF with one word in the middle of am 8 1/2 by 11 page and it will still scale.

Thanks,

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 27, 2012 Jan 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are selecting anything other than None/Actual, then aren't you actually stating that the page needs to be scaled depending on the option chosen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is true.  The issue is that the general public is printing these forms.  I'm am looking for a solution where the form will never scale even if the user changes the setting to something other than None/Actual.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt that can be case, since the settings provided while printing will always be honored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One solution is to declare the page size as smaller than 8 1/2 by 11.  I have experimented and determined that a size of 8.13 by 10.63 will never scale on my laserjet but will scale on my inkjet.  What answer that I'm looking for is if anybody knows a size that would not scale on "most" printers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2012 Jul 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone have any thoughts on this matter.  We already set the pagescaling to none in the document, but it appears that people like to override this setting.

(Optional; PDF 1.6)

The page scaling option to be selected when a print dialog is displayed for this document. Valid values are None, which indicates that the print dialog should reflect no page scaling, and AppDefault, which indicates that applications should use the current print scaling. If this entry has an unrecognized value, applications should use the current print scaling. Default value: AppDefault.

Note:

If the print dialog is suppressed and its parameters are provided directly by the application, the value of this entry should still be used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2012 Aug 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried Adobe LiveCycle Designer? There is an option under File > Form Properties > PDF Print Options to tick a box to prevent a user from overriding the page scaling option. This seemed to work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

Do you know the name of the field or property that you are setting?  I do not have LiveCycle, but it must be setting some property in the PDF file.

Thanks,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dave, I don't know the name of the field. I just downloaded the thirty day free trial of LiveCycle and used that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines