• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Has anyone had a problem with CS5 files becoming corrupt?

Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2012 Jan 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Photoshop 5.5 and OS Lion. The Finder crashed while doing a Search. When I rebooted and opened Photoshop, every Photoshop file I had worked on that afternoon, plus two from the day before, was corrupt - nothing else was affected. Desktop preview icons and file sizes looked fine, but when I opened the files they were just bands of color and noise. All layers were gone and the size was incorrect.  The jpgs I had saved from the psd files were also corrupt. Adobe blames Apple and Apple blames Adobe. I'd like to learn why it happened, so I can make sure it won't happen again. This is my business and clients simply don't accept "the files became corrupt" as an excuse!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

If the finder crashed and corrupted the files, how can Adobe be responsible?

I would look for a bad RAM module or corrupt sectors on the hard drive...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also,  go to Tools/cache and purge the cache for the folder.

It will rebuild with new data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I'll do that. Photoshop preferences have been trashed, the Finder rebuilt and diagnosis shows the hard drives to be fine. I'm working on a month-old MacPro Quad Core.

I had several applications/files open at the time the Finder crashed, but only Photoshop files were affected, including those that weren't open. My gut instinct is to point a finger at Lion since it's so buggy, but my ultimate goal is to discover if this is a one-time issue of mine, or if others have experienced it and, of course, how to prevent it from happening again.

I very much appreciate Adobe allowing we loyal users to share our thoughts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is also recommended you stay away from IPhoto as it puts the files in places where Bridge can not find them I have read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im wondering how comes that files that have been modified during a certain timespan be affected by a crash? Time machine corruption? It should only read...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not using Time Machine. All files except those I was working on that afternoon were backed up to another drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2012 Jan 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those who are following this issue, someone opened a new discussion with the same issue. The main differences were that the problem happened after Photoshop crashed and it was on Windows vs. Mac. This is looking more and more like an Adobe issue rather than a Lion issue.

Here's the link to the newly opened discussion: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/954685?tstart=0.

Does any of you veterans of this forum know if the two discussions can be linked? Sorry for asking, but I'm new to forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other than the link that you provided, I am unaware of a way for a MOD to link two threads, but then I do not have a MOD console. It's easy for a MOD to branch a thread into multiple, but have never seen them compounded. Maybe a friendly MOD can comment, and we will both learn something.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your OS crashed, and corrupted the state of files and possibly disk directory structures.

Photoshop can't read those corrupted files.  That's it.  It's not an Adobe problem - it's a disk, OS, and lack of backup problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like way too much of a coincidence to have the identical problem and file appearance happen on both a PC and Mac. As to a backup problem, as stated in my earlier post: "All files except those I was working on that afternoon were backed up to another drive." I back up files a few times a day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 people out of millions finding corrupted files (which are going to look similar regardless of platform) does not make a pattern.

It is just a coincidence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2015 Nov 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make that three! And my system did not crash. I am having same issue and I'm sure this will grow. All issues start with one person, hm?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2012 Dec 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG!!!  I have started putting together my portfolio for Grad school (architecture) and all of my adobe PSD and PDF files are corrupted! MY first response was, "glad I have carbnonite", but since carbonite makes no distinction of a corrupt file vs a good one, those are corrupt as well. I have no idea what I am going to do now. This is a major, life altering blow unless I can get this corrected. If it helps explain it, the error message I get from PSD files is, "Could not complete your request because it is not a valid Photoshop document." Hopefully, someone has written a program that will restore the PSD/PDF files???  Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use Carbonite nor have I read anything about it, but do they just keep one copy of the latest backed-up file?  That seems a bit short-sighted.  Are there maybe options for recovering older versions that you're not seeing?

Data can be very valuable in these modern times.

I use a number of different forms of backup, including scheduled system image backups to external USB drives, scheduled data file backups to other drives and systems in my network, and even copying critical data to BD-R discs by hand occasionally.

I'm sorry for your loss of data, mhall5553, but let this be a wake up call to all readers of this thread that you need to take the time to think about what's being backed up and whether you're protected well-enough from various different kinds of data loss. 

Don't forget to think about what if you yourself screw up a file - e.g., accidentally save over one you really want to keep.

It's not necessary to get a subscription to an online service to do backup.  It may seem a bit geeky but all computer systems provide some backup capabilities (e.g., to external USB drives, to discs, to other internal drives, etc.) - even if it's just a matter of copying your critical files yourself.

Expect the worst and hope for the best.

Speaking of which, glad we're all still here on this December 21, 2012.

-Noel

P.S., I was disappointed to learn that in Windows 8 Microsoft has deprecated the "Previous Versions" feature that was integrated with their Windows Backup tool in Windows 7.  They claim to have replaced it with something called "File Versions", I suppose to try to follow Apple's lead with Time Machine, but people are not finding File Versions to work very well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's hope yet. Apparently, Carbonite keeps versions of files for 3 months. If the corruption happened less than 3 months ago, there may still be a good version of each file in Carbonite.

http://carbonite.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1362/partner/carbonite

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2016 Aug 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2016-08-11 at 11.21.16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This has also just happened to me, I thought perhaps it was happening because I used a clip art form online that  might have been corrupt but it keeps happening! lucyacid.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines