Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

favicon.ico

New Here ,
Sep 04, 2008 Sep 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
I noticed from my RoboHelp Server troubleshoot button, that there's a message "unable to locate the URL ''/favicon.ico'."

I'm pretty sure this refers to that little graphical icon that shows up in the address bar of a browser (32 pixels by 32 pixels I believe). I would like to create my own. I'm just not sure if there is a specific place I need to save it, so once I publish it will then appear.

Where is Robo looking to find this favicon?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heya hughbetcha

I believe the icon may be anywhere you like. At least for normal web type servers. From what I understand, you may code the path to the icon in each HTML page.

I also believe that the icon is normally found in the root level of your project. So you might check to ensure that the icon is among the output files. Maybe it's missing. Assuming you find it and the message resolves, I would think substituting your own would be as simple as saving your version of the icon using the same name.

Hmmm, I just generated WebHelp Pro and don't see an icon named favicon.ico. So perhaps try renaming one of the icons that are supplied to favicon.ico and see if the error resolves. I found three icons named:

* whestart.ico
* whrstart.ico
* whstart.ico

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH looks for it at the root of your project folder. After generating it is in the root of your generated project.

There are a number of free programs that you can use to create your own favicon - just be sure to name the file "favicon.ico".

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a icon (.gif). Renamed it favicon.ico. I've tried including it in the output files and publishing, and also went onto server and placed it in the Projects folder where all the merged projects exist (is this the root folder?). Can't seem to get it to work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

I'm not sure simply renaming a .GIF to .ICO will work because .ICO has a different internal file format structure.

I'm pretty sure that would stop the errors you are seeing, but the icon probably won't show up. You may need to obtain some .GIF to .ICO converter.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try this online service.
http://www.chami.com/html-kit/services/favicon/

[small plug] HTML-Kit is html/code editing software with support for user created plugins. There is good multi-file find and replace with regular expressions, tag highlighting, html validation and much much more. Feel free to buy HTML-Kit and/or click on links to support the software. (I'm not affiliated with it in any way apart from happily using the software.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you Google favicon maker or favicon converter, you'll find a few easy step-by-step's and related freeware to create the favicon. I had the one for grafixtraining.com go from "Google" to posted on the web in about 45 minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2009 Jul 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be helpful for others referencing this post who would like to change the icon image that RoboHelp uses by default.

To place an image in the browser tabs, address bar, and favorites lists, RoboHelp uses a file called whstart.ico instead of favicon.ico. If you overwrite this file in Program Files with your desired ico image (titled exactly the same, whstart.ico), RoboHelp will use your new icon image when generating and publishing projects.

By default my whstart.ico file was installed in the following location:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML\WebHelp5Ext\template_skin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2009 Jul 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you change the icon in Program files, the new icon will be used every time you generate webhelp. If that is what you want, that's the way to do it.

If you want different icons for different projects, generate the webhelp and replace the whstart.ico in that output. It will get overwritten each time you generate so keep a copy.

The program files method is the easiest and I just offer this for those of you who need different icons.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp