20 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2012 12:51 PM by Monika Gause RSS

Paste as metafile into AI?

rijackson741

I searched the forum, but couldn't find the answer to this question. I am trying to paste a graphic from another piece of software (Mathcad, although I don't think that matters). When I paste it into AI it is corrupted. If I paste it into Word using "Paste Special", "Picture (Enhanced Metafile)" I see exactly the same problem. However, if I paste into Word using "Paste Special", "Picture", it's fine. Similarly, if I paste into CorelDraw as an enhanced metafile it's corrupted, but if I paste as a metafile it's fine. So is there some way tp paste into AI as a metafile?

• 1. Re: Paste as metafile into AI?
          rcraighead CommunityMVP

I would try placing in Word and saving as PDF. Then open or place PDF in AI.

• 2. Re: Paste as metafile into AI?
            rijackson741 Community Member

Thanks for replying.

It looks like I don't have any perfect solution though. I have now realized that when I paste into Word or Coreldraw as a metafile it causes other problems with the graphics. They are not as obvious as the ones I get when I paste as an enhanced metafile So I didn't immediately notice them), but they are in fact an even bigger problem. I can manually fix the problems in one case, but not in the other.

• 3. Re: Paste as metafile into AI?
              Larry G. Schneider CommunityMVP

Have you tried opening the metafile in AI? Should work.

• 5. Re: Paste as metafile into AI?

Have you tried opening the metafile in AI? Should work.

I don't have it as a file. It's on the clipboard I can save it from the clipboard, but only in .CLP format, which AI does not open.

• 6. Re: Paste as metafile into AI?

Thanks Wade. I am new to AI though (just trying to migrate from CorelDraw) and your image is too low resolution for me to be able to figure out where you are in the software. Could you give me a pointer or two.

Thanks

Richard

• 7. Re: Paste as metafile into AI?
                    MW Design CommunityMVP

How about exporting it from MathCad as a metafile or as a PDF and placing either format? I do this from various applications and it normally works fine.

fwiw, I can copy/paste into AI and if it is text, it is pasted as text. If it is a vector format, that's what comes in. But there isn't, as far as I know, a way to choose what format to paste in AI.

Take care, Mike

• 8. Re: Paste as metafile into AI?
                      Wade_Zimmerman Community Member

Let's try it again

Screen Shot 2012-01-30 at 12.04.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-01-30 at 12.07.21 PM.png

• 9. Re: Paste as metafile into AI?

Thanks again, but I don't see where that gets me. How will importing a template help, even assuming I had any to import (which I don't; as I said I just started with AI).

• 10. Re: Paste as metafile into AI?

How about exporting it from MathCad as a metafile or as a PDF and placing either format?

I can print to a pdf. I tried this using CutePDF, and although the graphics look fine in Adobe Reader when I import to AI it has problems with the fonts (which is just stock Tahoma, so I can't imagine why). I'll try some other print options, and see if I can make it work this way though.

• 11. Re: Paste as metafile into AI?
                            MW Design CommunityMVP

Is it possible to get one of the PDFs? You would likely need to upload it and provide a link.

There are clipboard viewer that can save out as metafiles. Don't know if that would work for you or not as i have never used one.

Take care, Mike

• 12. Re: Paste as metafile into AI?
                              Wade_Zimmerman Community Member

Edit

I apologize I have a problem from an old head injury that sometimes makes it impossible to get the right word so I get the word I can that is closest to it.

I see I misread Metafile for Metadata, I it just recorded properly.

• 13. Re: Paste as metafile into AI?
                                OldBob1957 Community Member

rijackson741 wrote:

How about exporting it from MathCad as a metafile or as a PDF and placing either format?

I can print to a pdf. I tried this using CutePDF, and although the graphics look fine in Adobe Reader when I import to AI it has problems with the fonts (which is just stock Tahoma, so I can't imagine why). I'll try some other print options, and see if I can make it work this way though.

I don't know if this will help, but, to get around font issues in a PDF:

Open a blank document in Illustrator

Go to File  >  Place

Select the PDF file and make sure the LINK box is checked (in the bottom left corner of the Place Dialog Box)

Click PLACE (bottom right corner) to place the file.

Go to Object  >  Flatten Transparency

Make sure the CONVERT ALL TEXT TO OUTLINES box is checked.

Click OK

The result may be one big clipping mask. If so, go to Object  >  Clipping Mask  >  Release

To get at the individual objects.

• 14. Re: Paste as metafile into AI?
                                  Is it possible to get one of the PDFs? You would likely need to upload it and provide a link.

Sure. Kind of annoying that you can't upload files here, so I posted this to the Mathcad forums

communities.ptc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/175138-34581/PDF_test.pdf

Apart from the font problems, I notice that when I import the pdf above the graph comes in as a couple of thousand small lines, rather than one curve. That makes subsequent editing all but impossible.

Sigh

There are clipboard viewer that can save out as metafiles. Don't know if that would work for you or not as i have never used one.

That's a good idea, but I don't think it will help.If I look at the graphic using the clipboard viewer, I see the problems there. So it looks like the problem is what Mathcad sends to the clipboard.

I think my best bet for now is just to paste the graphic, and fix the errors by hand. Thanks for the help though.

• 15. Re: Paste as metafile into AI?
                                    I don't know if this will help, but, to get around font issues in a PDF:

Thanks! That does indeed work

• 16. Re: Paste as metafile into AI?
                                      Larry G. Schneider CommunityMVP

What version of AI are you using? If CS5 or CS5.1, then just use Select>Same Stroke Color and Cmd(Ctrl)-J to Join the small pieces into a single line. Then use Object>Path>Simplify with a 98% curve accuracy to reduce the number of anchor points in the line. When I did this it reduced the 2 lines from +1900 points to 112. As for the font, just reset in a font you have on your system.

• 17. Re: Paste as metafile into AI?
                                        [Jongware] CommunityMVP

Having to use the clipboard is kinda low-tech to get your images out of MathCad ... Are you sure it doesn't have an Export  Image option anywhere?

• 18. Re: Paste as metafile into AI?

If CS5 or CS5.1, then just use Select>Same Stroke Color and Cmd(Ctrl)-J to Join the small pieces into a single line. Then use Object>Path>Simplify with a 98% curve accuracy to reduce the number of anchor points in the line. When I did this it reduced the 2 lines from +1900 points to 112.

Excellent tips

big_grin.gif

CorelDraw (at least, the older version I was using) had nothing like these options. I am going to use these a lot!

I did notice that when I use OldBob's method to bring the pdf into AI the selection by stroke color doesn't work. The small pieces of line are brought in as small elliptical (sort of elliptical, anyway) paths. For some reason if I select one of them and then select the same stroke color it selects everything in the graphic.

As for the font, just reset in a font you have on your system.

I don't get any options to substitute a font when the file is loaded. If I select the text and then change the font I get garbage characters. At a guess, I would say it's not handling the Unicode characters correctly.

• 19. Re: Paste as metafile into AI?

Having to use the clipboard is kinda low-tech to get your images out of MathCad ... Are you sure it doesn't have an Export  Image option anywhere?

Quite sure. The primary function of the software is mathematics though, not graphics and image creation, so that's not surprising. The only two possibilites are the clipboard, or to print to a file format from which the graphics can be extracted.

• 20. Re: Paste as metafile into AI?
                                              Monika Gause CommunityMVP

Are you on a PC? In that case you could use these plugins: http://www.ika.ethz.ch/plugins/index.html

One of them is a Path-Join-Function that joins paths based on their appearances. So no need to select them first.