• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I make a ToC "book" name conditional?

Jan 30, 2012 Jan 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Robohelp 9: A ToC is made up of a tree consisting of books that contain topics. For rebranding, I want to make some book names conditional in my ToC tree view. Is this possible? for example, a ToC book name may be "Using Brand A" and I also want a conditional tag for the same ToC book name that is "Using Brand B".

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create 2 TOC books with different names, and apply a conditional tag for each output. You'd have to duplicate the topics under them, though.

People have been asking for variables in TOC entries for a while, which would be more convenient, but I don't know if that has been implemented yet - I don't have a copy of RH9 to look at unfortunately.

Amber

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I thought about multiple ToCs but then i would have to manage multiple ToCs and it begins to defeat the purpose of single source.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Indeed I believe since RopboHelp version 7 you are able to define a variable and use it in the TOC for book and topic naming.

This dialog is from Version 7. Version 9 has it too.

tmp1.PNG

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent, thanks Rick. (We're still using RH6 for various reasons, and while I have a license for 7 I didn't even think to look at it. )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 31, 2012 Jan 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all, variable may work.

Rick, Would you mind helping with the way to apply this. Let's say i have 3 brands (A, B, C). Instead of using conditional text for the brand name, lets say i delete the conditional text and insert a "variable name" called "Brand" (including topic book names).  Everywhere i want a brand name, I insert the "brand" variable. Then, when i choose to make a conditional text document, i change the "variable value"  for the "brand" variable to the brand name (A, B or C). Is this the way to apply this solution?

My confusion here is that, in the ToC book "properties" there are two fields, one for the "book title" and another for the "variable". I don't quite get how it works. Will my "brand" variable change the name of the book title?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gimme a few minutes and I'll post a video recording showing you how to make this work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick, that was a great little demo on that feature - good to actually hear your voice ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, thank you so much for the video. I tested it and it solves my problem. One thing I might add. At first it wasn't working, then i thought that i need to be sure and go through the entire printed documentation wizard and under "organize your topics and chapter layout" delete all the old chapter layout and add the topics fresh. Once i did this, it worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello again

Very pleased to hear it worked for you. I think your last post is the first we have heard about Printed Documentation. Indeed, it has its own little nuances.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp