Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Prevent RH7 from overwriting image files with each new import

Jan 30, 2012 Jan 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using RH7, I import a version release notes (MSWord 2003 and 2007) file to an existing project, will generate the CHm and provide with the outgoing SW for ontool support.  I have at least 70 releases a year, so am not doing anything fancy with subpages and TOC - just a version page with the information.  Within the Proj Mgr, I have very general subfolders for the imports, based on major version number, so perhaps 10-20 docs imported into a subfolder.

Every imported DOC contains supporting graphics.  I *assumed* these graphics files got uniquely file named (ie, image1.jpg, image209.gif, etc) upon import, but my latest review showed me they don't.  They are overwriting same-named files from previous imports. 

1.  Isn't RH "smart" enough to see an existing file name and provide a unique, incremented name to the new import?

2.  If not, is the popup listing files (which I just?? discovered) the workaround?  I unselect all listed files and RH provides new naming to the new image files?

3.  If not, is there anything I can do??

I want to make RH know to leave existing files alone and create unique file names that are next in sequence. 

I think I actually just want RH to work like Windows Explorer, the same "built-in" smarts.

Thx.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you importing just one document at a time and saving the project before importing the next?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, importing one DOC file at a time.  And taking care to rename it.  Not copying out info, pasting into a nother HTML file, then deleting the original (learned THAT deletes the graphics, too).  Saving almost by the minute since I have so much trouble with RH crashing (project size??).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2012 Jan 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please correct anything below that is wrong.

1. You have a document named MyDocument.doc with images and you import it and save the project. Later you import a later version of MyDocument.doc (same title) and that process trashes the images in the earlier version.
  2. You then delete the topics created by the first import and that deletes the images but of course they are now the later version required by the second import.
  3. You are importing the same document into the same folder.

Have you tried a structure such as release_notes\version1, release_notes\version2?

RoboHelp should not be crashing on you frequently so likely there is something else wrong. After taking a backup, have you tried deleting the CPD file from the project and then reopening it.

BTW I am not sure what you meant in Item 2 in your original post. A screenshot would help. Use the camera icon you will see when you reply.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.  I have a document named ReleaseNotes.doc with images.  I import it, rename it (both Topic and File) to the release version; eg, PLAD 07 54 102.  At the next release, I import a file into the same folder and it is called ReleaseNotes.doc.  I rename it to, say, PLAD 07 55 29.  No imported files are left iwth the generic name, because as you point out, this would obviously get overwritten by the next file bearing an identical name. 

2.  Nothing gets deleted.  But, importing the next file - for the reason I'm trying to discover - insists on overwriting the image files, despite having renamed the parent file. 

3.  I am importing a same-named file into a single folder, albeit renaming hte file upon import.

Babysitting - regularly deleting the CPD - is something I don't care to do.  This is a big reason I keep looking for a different product than RH.  Just everything I look at seems to have its own issues, so I haven't switched.  But thank you for the suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Personally, I'm thinking all your issues would become moot if you slightly modified the approach. Instead of renaming things after you import, save a copy of the Word document using your desired name you change to after importing. Then import THAT document.

I was confused because generally, when importing a document it will create its own folder. And the images end up in that folder. So by altering your approach a tad, you could likely save huge amounts of frustration.

Just a thought... Rick

Hello again

Thanks for the image. The first thing I notice here is no plus symbol next to many folder names. This tells me that there is no content actually inside these folders. And THAT observation leads me to ask this question.

If you click the View menu, is the option "Empty Folders" enabled?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is throwing me too Rick.

CHRIS-ANNA

If that doesn't help, first is there any reason you cannot try a structure such as release_notes\version1, release_notes\version2?

If still stuck, create a new project and import one version of the document and then another to verify it is still going wrong. Then send me that project and the two documents.

See the Contact page on my site and please include a link to this thread.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rather had the same idea last night - trying to do the "least amount possible" re importing into the same folder, not renaming a file prior to import, etc., must be what's causing hte issue.  And I have started a new project as a test basis, thanks.  Trouble with all of this is this is the "lowest priority" task in my overall job, so gets little attention and I want to do as little "grunt work" as possible.  I suspect I'm trying to use a tool that's more developed than I need, and not using it as carefully as intended - therefore creating my own issues. Thanks for everyone's responses.  I want to use these suggestions - and post to your site, Peter, if that is unsuccessful - by the end of this week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 03, 2012 Feb 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, gentlemen.  I used the suggestion of renaming the file BEFORE importing it.  That is working - and creating their own individual "image storage" folders in the process - so despite still feeling 'wrong', I"ll go with it.  I appreciate your help with this concern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I learned that one real fast.  So no, though each file originates as "ReleaseNotes.doc" (so the sw compiler gets the right file every time, it uses the same name) I rename both the File Name and Topic Title immediately after import.  There shouldn't be any sense that another same-named file in the same location, but perhaps there is?  I *just* recognized that one of the popups during import is asking about overwriting files, but it seemed ludicrous.  And then I wondered if the new image files got imported and renamed or if they just got left out.

Your idea of slightly altering hte file name before import occurred to me as well, last night.

CPD - yes, have done that, but really - this needs done every few months?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK but that doesn't specifically answer the questions I asked.

Yes deleting the CPD can need to be done frequently, especially given the way you need to work. RoboHelp 9 allows that to be done automatically.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp