• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Pro X freezes up for 10-15 seconds shortly after opening PDF

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2012 Jan 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Transferring this discussion from another forum.

I believe my issue may be the same as or similar to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/867133 , but I'm not able to post to that forum.

Running Acrobat 10.1.2 on a fully-patched Windows 7/64 Bit system (Office 2010/32 bit). Antivirus is eSet NOD32 4.0.437.0. I've been having this problem for several versions of Acrobat Pro.

Frequently, when I open a PDF, Acrobat shows the document and is responsive to user action (e.g. scrolling) for a few seconds, and then becomes completely unresponsive for 10-15 seconds, and then is usable again. This happens fairly consistently. Even if I already have Acrobat open, opening a new file causes the same behavior.

Many of the comments on this sort of problem suggest security settings might be an issue.I have tried disabling Enhanced security, disabling "automatically trust sites from my Win OS security zones", disabling "verify signatures when the document is opened", disabling "load security settings from a server", also done "clear remembered account information" for LiveCycle Rights Management. Further disabled everything in advanced settings under Windows Integration. None of these changes have any effect on my problem.

Any suggestions for how to troubleshoot?

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 22, 2014 Apr 22, 2014

I changed recently used documents list to 1 [Preferences/Documents].  This has resovled the problem for me so far.

Variables:

Acrobat Version: 10.1.9

Document Size: 42x30

File location: Desktop

File creator: CutePDF Writer

Application: PScript5.dll Version 5.2.2

PDF Producer: GPL Ghostscript 8.15

PDF Version: 1.6 (Acrobat 7.x)

Prior to that, I tried unchecking "Automatically trust sites from my Win OS security zones" [Preferences/Security (Enhanced)]

and unchecking "Enable Enhanced Security" to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 08, 2012 Feb 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please let me know if you are facing this issue with any PDF that you try to open or only with a specific PDF? Also, do you face the same issue while accessing PDFs in the browser as well?

Please download the PDF at: kb2.adobe.com/cps/837/cpsid_83708/attachments/Acrobat_Reader_ReleaseNote_10.1.2.pdf and see if Acrobat still stalls for some time while rendering it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2012 May 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing that ADOBE CAN NOT HELP US SOLVE THIS HUGE PROBLEM!!!!   Instead of offering a solution to our major problem with this HORRIBLE PRODUCT ADOBE ACROBAT X PRO -- They always turn it around and ask another stupid question !!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2012 Jun 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat Reader X is a bummer, I agree 100%

Now, here is the solution to your problem: Go to Edit -> Preferences -> and uncheck the Option "Enable Protected Mode at Startup". Now close you Acrobat Reader and when you start it again it shloud not freeze anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2015 Dec 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

didn't work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2015 May 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you believe I am still having the same problem 3 YEARS LATER. and still no action by ACROBAT. They are still they reneging on their responsibility to the product they have created and OUTSOURCING AFTER SALES SERVICE.

Adobe have taken this outsourcing to a fine a art in all their products. It appears to me that the wrong kind of people in Adobe are making decisions about CUSTOMER SUPPORT. It's not the Techi Gurus that should be making these decisions but PERSONNEL(if there is such a thing in Adobe!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2015 Jun 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is something that may fix some of the freeze issues.

"acrotray.exe"

This is used to create PDF files, such as in your print selection.

When I deactivate this program from Start Task Manager (Windows), my Adobe software works fine. Sometimes it activates when opening a PDF document, mostly when I am using the Adobe print driver (from any application) to convert a document to PDF. This program then stays on and if it does not deactivate it can freeze my Acrobat X for a few seconds. When acrotray.exe does not automatically deactivate and I try to shut down windows, I get a pop-up error.

I found this was the culprit to my Adobe freeze issues.

If you have the Adobe print driver, acrotray.exe is what runs it and the Adobe PDF print driver won't work without it. If this acrotray is a huge issue with your computer (as it also seems to hog resources at times), then remove it from Windows start-up (msconfig or use CCleaner tools), then go into "C:/program files (x86)/Adobe/Acrobat 10.0/Acrobat/acrotray.exe (it has an ugly exclamation mark icon) and rename it, like "acrotray(DISABLED).exe". Then find a reputable PDF print driver online as, primoPDF or cutePDF writer, install it (say NO to toolbars) and use the replacement instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2015 Jun 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to add this neat trick to easily and quickly kill any process on your system without using "Task Manager" all the time, all with a double click on the desktop.

1. Create a new text file on the desktop.
  2. Change the extension to ".bat", then save.
  3. Open in Notepad or Notepad++
  4. Type the first line, taskkill /f /im "acrodist.exe"  ....(need spaces, see >> taskkill (space) /f (space) /im (space) "acrodist.exe" and yes, the file name is between quotes)
  5. Type the next line taskkill /f /im "acrotray.exe"
  6. Save the file.
  7. When acrotray.exe is activated from the Adobe print driver and when the print is finished, double click the Bat file on the desktop and it kills the process instantly.

For multiple processes, add another line, basically, one line per process. (note, not all processes are killed by this simple Bat script, test it to see if it does. I did with acrotray and acrodist, both get killed). 

This makes the work so simple in dealing with Adobes start-up processes which they do NOT need which hogs resources, no matter how little they claim it takes.

Enjoy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2014 Dec 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My adobe pro constantly freezes it is unusable. on Widows 8.1.  always worked before upgrade.  Works on other machines without Windows *.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but no use.  It is awful. PDFs won't open from Outlook.  PDFs open otherwise but immediately freeze up. I can't even change preferences because preferences freezes. Something needs o be done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2015 Jun 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also on Win8.1 Pro - clean install - which is why I was trying to re-install Acrobat Pro X.  After trying a lot of things today, this solution finally worked for me.

Re: Acrobat crashes after opening

You need to install/update Acrobat Application Manager.

After the nth uninstall/reinstall, I took a last stab at installing Pro X.  Then after the install, I upgraded AAM per the referenced post above. After going through the hoops of logging in with my Adobe ID, accepting EULA and registering, I started Pro X and it worked.

Will see how it goes after 30 days or so.  Some people have problems after 30 days apparently.  But I think that is because they took advantage of the free stuff that came with the AAM upgrade.  I didn't sign or download any of the offers.  So we'll see...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2015 Jun 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems the 30day thing is the trial period that shut down adobe products. With that you have to deactivate Adobe (via any product as PhotoShop etc) and reactivate it, this if you purchased the product. The problem with this was Adobe bundled everything together, both the trial coding and the purchase coding and has been nothing but problems.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2015 Aug 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Received an email from aadeshs76610910 directly me to this forum and nothing suggested works.  Every time I open Acrobat Pro X on a Windows 7 computer it freezes up for 20+ seconds.

Still looking for an answer.  Adobe doesn't seem to care and treats its customers horribly.

If anyone has an answer you can email me at:  jayg@printwithbudget.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2015 Dec 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have been getting this only on Mac with any pdf I open for a few months now. Thought it was an out of memory issue but resolved that and it still happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem freezes upon opening PDF in windows-10 64 bit uninstalled acrobat several times and reinstall usually fixes it but not this time, still freezes indefinitely until I force close in task manager.Help we are a printing company I need to use acrobat every day!!!! Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any PDF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 27, 2012 Dec 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preferences-->security(enhanced)

Add folder path (where all your pdf are)

It work for me even for the pdf that are no inside this folder

Then a go back to add one more folder and the first folder that i add was not there

Did a repair acrobat

Go back to preference an the folder add is back

So i decide to uncheck  "Automatically trust sites from my Win os security zone"

Since then everything work fine for me so i don't know witch part of this process fix my problem

Good luck

RL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2013 Jan 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Automatically trust sites from my Win os security zone"

This has helped alot.  I was entering a document and then after a few seconds it would freeze for 20-30 seconds and then come good, darn frustrating!  Turned off "Automatically trust sites from my Win OS security zone" now allows me to operate as normal.  Every once in a while a document would pause but I don't believe it is related to this issue.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 16, 2013 Dec 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my computer, a issue with similiar symtoms was a network path pointing to an unavailable computer. Opening local files until the path disappeared from the recent files resolved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2014 Apr 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed recently used documents list to 1 [Preferences/Documents].  This has resovled the problem for me so far.

Variables:

Acrobat Version: 10.1.9

Document Size: 42x30

File location: Desktop

File creator: CutePDF Writer

Application: PScript5.dll Version 5.2.2

PDF Producer: GPL Ghostscript 8.15

PDF Version: 1.6 (Acrobat 7.x)

Prior to that, I tried unchecking "Automatically trust sites from my Win OS security zones" [Preferences/Security (Enhanced)]

and unchecking "Enable Enhanced Security" to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2016 Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not address the issue for me. Does Adobe have any plans to fix this issue or do we have to resort to another pdf program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 21, 2014 Aug 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Can you please try the step below:

- Launch Acrobat;

- Go to Preferences ->  Documents -> Documents in Recent used list.

Change value from 5 > 1

- Close and relaunch Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2014 Oct 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I was actually searching for a solution to this problem for my Mac (2013 Mac Pro, 6x3.5ghz, 64 gb ram, 12 tb raid 0, all updates to Acrobat and OS X 10.9 - really should never have an issue with programs hanging) and tried SumitV's suggestions. Lo and behold, my recent documents list was set to 100 by default. Bringing that down to 10 has solved the issue. If your system is slower, taking it down to 5 or 1 may help.

Thanks SumitV!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2015 Jan 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem in 9.5.5

Still no solution.

This combined with the need to restart the software often to overcome this issue makes Acrobat Pro a real bummer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 23, 2015 Apr 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And here it was because I thought Adobe hates Apple. Turns out they hate Microsoft too. Sorry, but I don't have any solutions - just adding my gripes to the list. Acrobat Pro has always been a mess on my Mac - randomly freezing and crashing, taking forever for some tools to work, randomly leaving some tools active for a time, then requiring you to re-click them for every use, scrolling freezes that last for 10 seconds... it goes on. I kind of expect that by 2015 that these software issues would not surface in ANY software anymore, anywhere. But there is only one Acrobat, and Adobe knows it. What choice do we have but to put up with this half-baked application?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2015 Sep 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

List of possible solutions. Note, the first solution works nine times out of ten

Edit > Preferences > 3D & Multimedia > Uncheck "Enable hardware rendering for legacy video cards"

Edit > Preferences > General > Uncheck "Enable protected mode at startup"

Edit > Preferences > Internet > Uncheck "Allow speculative downloading in the background"

Edit > Preferences > Security (Enhanced) > Uncheck "Enable enhanced security"

If none of these work, then start acrobat in safe mode by typing acrobat/safe at the run prompt in Windows or by holding down the shift key. If everything works fine then you can be pretty sure that a plugin is causing the problem. To resolve:

Browse to the Acrobat plug-ins folder <C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 11.0\Acrobat\plug_ins> (Note, your path may be different)

Copy all contents to a separate folder (on the c: drive or your desktop, etc.). Acrobat will work fine without these plugins but you definitely need some of them such as Search.api, however, once the folder is empty, you can add the plugins back one by one and test acrobat after each addition. This will help you to identify the plugin that is causing the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines