Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hard Drive Failure - Rebuilding RoboHelp Project

Jan 31, 2012 Jan 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without going into the gory details, the hard drive on my work laptop crashed and all data was lost, including important RoboHelp project files, as well as the files from the installation of the application itself.

Of course, I should have been backing up my project files, but since I didn't get around to doing it, I'm stuck with trying to ressurect one of my most important projects, in particular.

My proposed solution:

1. Re-install RoboHelp 9.0
  2. Create a NEW project.
  3. Copy the output files from the most recent published Help.
  4. Reverse-engineer the original project, importing the HTML files one-by one, rebuilding the TOC, tweaking CSS and/or HTT files, etc.

My question/discussion item:

Given I didn't back anything up, this seems like my only viable option. However, just in case I might be missing something or someone else has a better idea, feel free to sing out.

As it is, I'm also thinking of installing my RoboHelp application (basically TCS 3.0) onto a network location, but I'm unsure how problematic this might be. For now, I'm the only person using RoboHelp and I think we only have the one license.

Cheers,

Michael

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2012 Jan 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Forget about installing TCS on the network - doesn't work license-wise & is catastrophic to your RH projects. A "best practice" for a single author is described on Peter Grainge's site - work on your c:\projects\[project_name]\ and zip it up each day to copy it to a backed-up network location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp