• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generating hlp files in RoboHelp HTML

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2012 Jan 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to generate .hlp files from RoboHelp HTML version 9? We're generating help files for an older program that only uses .hlp or .chm files. I've only been able to generate .hlp files from RoboHelp for Word, and I don't really want to use it any more. But I haven't been able to generate .hlp files from RoboHelp HTML.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 31, 2012 Jan 31, 2012

From what I remember reading around here, .hlp files can only be created in the RH for Word version.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I remember reading around here, .hlp files can only be created in the RH for Word version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff is right. You can only produce WinHelp from RoboHelp for Word.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a bummer. Out of curiosity, any idea why it's not an option in HTML?

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, no idea - I would hazard a guess that it's a really, really, really old format?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello PP

I'll be happy to hazard a guess as to why RoboHelp doesn't "do" WinHelp. It has to do with the history of RoboHelp. Way back around 1992 or so, RoboHelp existed largely as a plug-in to Microsoft Word that made it a lot easier to create WinHelp files. Basically it was a set of macros that formatted the arcane coding necessary inside Word documents that made things work for the WinHelp compiler.

HTML emerged later on and the first version of RoboHelp HTML was born. This created an entirely new format and an entirely new application (RoboHelp HTML or RoboHTML) was born. HTML help was the new kid on the block. As such, I'm guessing the developers were sort of watching to see if or how much it would "catch on".

So the application code bases were totally different. And remain so to this day. As Microsoft has taken measures to try and dissuade folks from using WinHelp, I'm sure RoboHelp for Word is likely on life support and probably has been for some time. RoboHelp for Word and RoboHelp HTML work in totally different ways. And given the fact Microsoft wants WinHelp gone, it simply doesn't make any sense to expend effort on making RoboHelp HTML capable of outputting WinHelp.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2012 Feb 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, appreciate you taking the time to give the info!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp