• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tricks for smoother Full Motion Recording?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2008 Sep 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
are there any things I can do to get around very bad full motion recording.
The problem seems to be the extra PC load of running Captivate on top of the application.

The application is an industrial control program. The screen being captured is an animation displaying the process running in the factory. It is a 1024x768 capture.
Full Motion recording is the only way to go as lots is going on on screen and no user input is involved.

A good indicator of the problem is that the application screen has a clock which displays seconds. This clicks along nicely, but when you start captivate the clock/screen updates every 5 or 6 seconds.
The capture is unusable like this.

I have disable hardware acceleration checked
is there anything else I can try?

thanks
mark
TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 10, 2008 Sep 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark

As much as I like Captivate, I might suggest that for this particular task, you investigate other tools. The thing is, Captivate has never been all that useful as a full motion recording tool.

You might take a look at Fraps ( http://www.fraps.com)

It was designed to capture video games, so it may be more suitable for the task at hand.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2008 Sep 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
thanks for the reply. I took a quick look at that. I see it records to WMV format. I need to end up with a flash file actually.

I have the technology to get from wmv to flash.
I noticed reading their site that they have their own codec.
Would that be an issue if I am trying to go from wmv to swf or flv?

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2008 Sep 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I am posting this in case others might come across this thread while researching the same problem.
Fraps will not work for regular screen capture.
Here is the reply with suggested solutions I received after emailing the makers of Fraps

"Thanks for your inquiry. Fraps is only designed to capture 3D applications using DirectX or OpenGL, it won't work with standard 2D programs. However there are plenty of other programs that can be used to capture the desktop. If you are after a free one I'd recommend trying Camstudio. You can download this from the following page:

http://www.brothersoft.com/soft/CamStudio.exe

Popular commercial desktop recorders include Camtasia (www.techsmith.com) and Hypercam (www.hyperionics.com)
Regards,
Chris Van Graas"

I am going to take a look at camstudio
Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources