• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! InDesign interactive PDF buttons not working in Safari or on iPad

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2012 Feb 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made an infographic in Indesign for our university magazine with a QR code to link to an interactive pdf. Nothing too complicated animation wise, simply buttons that you can click on to view different parts of the graphic. However, the buttons are not working at all in Safari and on the iPhone and iPad, the buttons disapear completley. Please help.

http://bit.ly/yrTN4R?r=qr

Thanks,

Gretchen

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Aug 21, 2022 Aug 21, 2022

had the same issue! But I've found a solution, since devices with a touch feature don't have a click be sure to make the buttons function on Indesign set to (on release or tap) rather than (on click) . It did the trick for me and doesn't affect the function on pc or Mac 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whether buttons work correctly in a PDF file depend entirely on what PDF reader you're using. Here are a couple of important facts:

* While corrected created interactive PDFs will display correctly in the FREE Adobe Reader and Adobe Acrobat, they probably won't display correctly in Apple's Preview application which is probably what you're viewing in Safari.

* None of the PDF readers currently available on an iPad (e.g., iBooks, GoodReader, etc.) correctly handle interactivity like buttons on an iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, that is a very intense infographic and well done. Now the bad news... most Safari (desktop and laptop) users are going to have Preview as their default PDF application. Preview does not honor most interactive elements in a PDF. Likewise, iPhone and iPad use PDF applications that do not honor interactive elements as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2012 Jun 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GoodReader should work... it works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2012 Jun 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good suggestion. The iPad PDF readers are getting better, but it's still pretty hit or miss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 15, 2012 Jul 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, this infographic work is built only with indesign button? On my Ipad:

- Goodreader have a bad preview and button do not work.

- Adobe Reader have a good preview but button do not work.

Adobe Reader for IPad don't have the flash player included (yes, the deskop release have it).

And InDesign button should be in flash. Is this correct?

Many thanks.

f

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 16, 2012 Jul 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

button.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update in CC version where interactive pdf's can work in ipad and iphone.

i work for client and they want interactive pdf for ipad and iphone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is NOT and never has been an InDesign issue. Nothing has changed in the last five years in that regard.

It's a platform / reader issue.

Depending upon the interactivity you need/want, fixed layout EPUB may be a far better choice especially if you are targeting only iOS. iBooks handles them wonderfully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try with EPUB but its not only for IOS; rather for both Android and IOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you have a lot of testing to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2022 Aug 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

had the same issue! But I've found a solution, since devices with a touch feature don't have a click be sure to make the buttons function on Indesign set to (on release or tap) rather than (on click) . It did the trick for me and doesn't affect the function on pc or Mac 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing the solution, I am sure, it will help other community members. In addition to this, you can also refer to this article https://creativepro.com/navigation-button-tricks-for-interactive-pdf-on-an-ipad/

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2023 Sep 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. This is THE answer for setting up interactive rollover buttons, next and previous working icons and more in InDesign so that the exported pdf works in Safari and Preview on a Mac. It took hours of trying different things and testing to finally figure out myself. I wish I had found this answer a week ago.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines