Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Workaround for Reader 10.1.2 print crash issue

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 15, 2012 Jan 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear users,

Based on the feedback provided to us in relation to the recent Print crash issues on Adobe Reader 10.1.2, we are hereby providing the following two workarounds for the problem faced. Please follow the steps below to get rid of this issue:

WORKAROUND 1:

Go to Start menu to Select Devices and Printers to access all Network Printers installed on your machine. Right Click to access Printer Properties. Open the Sharing Tab and give your printer a Share Name. If you wish not to share your printer then you may choose to give it a Share Name and then select “Do not Share” Checkbox. Please make sure that all Network printers have been assigned a Share name otherwise problem will persist. Please find below the screenshot for your reference.

shared setting.JPG

WORKAROUND 2:

The second work around is to turn off the Protected Mode of the Reader and the problem will be resolved right away. However, it is not advised to keep the application in non-protected mode due to security reasons and it is advisable to turn this setting ON once you are done with your printing task. You can access this setting by going to Edit-->Preferences-->General pane and can find “Enable protected mode at start-up” at the bottom of the window. Please re-start the Adobe Reader after you have made changes to this setting.

Thanks,

Atul Agarwal

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2012 Jan 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Atul Agarwal,

I tried workaround 1, but these settings are already present.

Because of the secure environment I'm working in, I think it's not save to turn off the Protection Mode (We receive hundreds of emails with attachments everyday).

Are there any other suggestions and will adobe come up with a permanent solution on short notice?

Thank you in advance,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear user,

Workaround1 is sufficient in itself to resolve the issue. You need not apply the workaround 2.

Just ensure that you have applied workaround1 to all your printers and that should work. Message me back if that does not work for you and i will set up an online connect session in oder to resolve the problem.

Thanks,

Atul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Atul Agarwal

the same issue here. Workaround2 doesnt work and Workaround1 is not possible because we have more then 120 printers!

Where can i download Version 10.1.1?

Its very important for us to print PDF documents. Maybe we have to install another tool.

Thanks,

Stefan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear user p1800s,

Could you please describe the issue little more as the suggested workaround has worked for all our customers so there might be other issue at your end?

I would await for your reply. If required, I can also set up an online connect session to resolve the problem at your end. My e-mail address is atulagar@adobe.com

Thanks,

Atul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Atul,

we use Windows Server 2008 R2 Terminalserver with Citrix XenApp. On this Server we cant print since the upgrade to 10.1.2.

When i disable the protected mode is the same issue.

The older Version 10.1.1 works fine. So i want install the version 10.1.1 again because i dont have time for testing someting.

Where can i download that version?

If i can not install 10.1.1 i install another pdf viewer. Its too important to wait. Sorry.

Regards,

Stefan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can find the 10.1.1 installer here - ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/10.x/10.1.1/en_US/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2012 Jan 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great,

Workarround 2 works for me. I search a few hours and reinstall it... and and and..

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try Workaround 1?

Thanks,

Atul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, because we have several Terminal-Servers and about 25 printers. So the second Workarround is mutch faster to implement.

Regards,

Guy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for Confirming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2012 Feb 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work from home on a PC with a Lexmark printer.  I have never had any problems printing PDF files.  My tech guy was here today doing some cleanup and he downloaded the new version of adobe.  I now cannot print any PDF files.  I select print and nothing happens.  My printer is working fine for all other printing.  I tried both of the workarounds you mentioned and still nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2012 Apr 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way I can do option #2 for all users on the Terminal Server?  I'm having to do this for each user individually and I've got over 150 users. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 11, 2012 Apr 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please update your Adobe Reader to 10.1.3 as the new update is live now and this should resolve the problem faced by you.

Thanks,

Atul Agarwal

Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a quick way to push out Workaround 2 to thousands of machines? All of our printers are pushed via group policy and therefore, your Workaround 1 is not an option. I am half tempted to push out FoxIt Reader to fix these issues for good. However, this issues will probably be fixed with Adobe releases yet another update to Reader next week. Maybe 10.1.3 will fix the issues, but 10.1.4 will probably break them again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2012 Aug 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you're right.  Just updated to v10.1.4 and the problem as described above has occurred.  Workaround: use Nitro PDF instead; that (and other apps such as Word) prints with no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2012 Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For us the problem has persisted for a while, but updating the Lexmark Universal printer driver to v. 2.0.4. solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Workaround 1 is not a workaround for me - it doesn't work!!  Workaround 2 works and I will therefore be keeping the unprotected mode as "normal".  Are Adobe going to fix this in the near future.  I want to enable protection again asap but because of the inconvenience of this workaround ..........  I get many PDFs daily and therefore this is my only option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2012 Jan 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Workaround 1also is not a woraround for me. In Citrix published Apps Printers are mapped on connection. They are not shared by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2012 Feb 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've had to leave protected mode off since 10 came out due to a bug with embedding PDFs in Excel.  Still waiting after all these years...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 03, 2012 Feb 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither workaround 1 nor 2 work for me. I have a very small network, but my printer stands alone on the lan.

I'm running Windows 7 SP 1. My printer is an hp oj pro 8500 hardwired via lan. When I installed Reader 10.1, all printing stopped. It doesn't crash, but finds the printer, starts to process the file, then a "Save As" window pops up and it wants to save the file as a *.pm. If I cancel, nothing happens and nothing prints. If I Save, it takes a long time (> 1min)  to process the file (simple text, 1 page), then the status box vanishes and nothing prints. I can't find the .pm file anywhere and there is nothing in the printer's queue.

I installed 10.2.1. Same thing. Tried the patch for 10.2.1 printer crash (even though I'm not really crashing. Just a whole lot of nothing) and same problem.

Reader 10.1.1 on my mac has no problems finding the printer. I'm leery of upgrading it to version 10.2.1 But we only have the one mac, and I'm stuck with the hp pc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Reader 10.1.3 is generating an error at address 0x00720065 ("Memory could not be written.")  when printing, similar to the problems the workaround were intended to solve in 10.1.2.  Do those workarounds still work for 10.1.3, or should a different approach be taken?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Could you please uninstall Adobe Reader from your system and then re-install the same?

Mail me at atulagar@adobe.com if you still face any issue. All 10.1.2 print issues have been resolved.

Thanks,

Atul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm hesitant to move forward with the update until I see a response from SirLysander that everything is working.  Hopefully he'll follow up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Things are working fine. Dont be hesitant. Feel free to update your application to 10.1.3

Refer: http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/release-note/release-notes-acrobat-reader.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines