12 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2006 3:25 PM by Newsgroup_User RSS

eCart recommendations?

johngordon12 Community Member
      Hi there,

Looks like it's time to tackle my first eCart project. The last big project I did was a fairly involved database app with PHP and mySQL that turned out really well.

So am just after any pointers really - am I right in thinking that rather than reinvent the wheel, I'd be as well to use one of these extensions :

ecarts

If so - any recommendations?

How does it all work anyway - do they pretty much all tie into something like PayPal, with code snippets provided by PayPal etc that you drop in?

In which case, are the site / store owners going to be tied into giving PayPal a cut, or can they set it up so that they can be paid more directly?

I guess it's slightly daunting, as I haven't done it before, and it's the whole thing about it handling money / transactions etc - but coding / technical wise, should it be any more daunting than the fairly involved database stuff I've done - or should that be me most of the way there in that respect?

Cheers,
      Iain
        • 1. Re: eCart recommendations?
          Community Member
          Iain,

If you are looking for a PHP/MySQL eCart solution then out of the list on
          that page there are only two current possibilities that tie in with DW8
          which are WebAssist eCart and Cartweaver, the rest are ASP or now defunct.

Cartweaver www.cartweaver.com gives you a finished shop that you plug into
          your current site but you are tied into their DB structure and their product
          presentation methods.

WebAssist eCart www.webassist.com requires more work on your part but is
          infinitely more customisable and ties in with their other range of
          extensions such as Digital File Pro to enable you to build a broad range of
          e-commerce sites. Both have excellent PayPal integration so the choice is
          really how you want to build your sites.

--

Dave Buchholz
          I-CRE8
          www.i-cre8.co.uk
          Skype ID: I-CRE8

"Iain71" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:efk5dn$4o$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          Hi there,

Looks like it's time to tackle my first eCart project. The last big project
          I
          did was a fairly involved database app with PHP and mySQL that turned out
          really well.

So am just after any pointers really - am I right in thinking that rather
          than
          reinvent the wheel, I'd be as well to use one of these extensions :

http://www.dwfaq.com/Resources/e-Commerce/default.asp

How does it all work anyway - do they pretty much all tie into something
          PayPal, with code snippets provided by PayPal etc that you drop in?

In which case, are the site / store owners going to be tied into giving
          PayPal
          a cut, or can they set it up so that they can be paid more directly?

I guess it's slightly daunting, as I haven't done it before, and it's the
          whole thing about it handling money / transactions etc - but coding /
          technical
          wise, should it be any more daunting than the fairly involved database stuff
          I've done - or should that be me most of the way there in that respect?

Cheers,
          Iain

• 2. Re: eCart recommendations?
            Community Member
            Iain,

presentation methods.

--

Dave Buchholz
            I-CRE8
            www.i-cre8.co.uk

Hi there,

I
            really well.

than

PayPal

technical

Cheers,
            Iain

• 3. Re: eCart recommendations?
              Community Member
              Iain,

presentation methods.

--

Dave Buchholz
              I-CRE8
              www.i-cre8.co.uk

Hi there,

I
              really well.

than

PayPal

technical

Cheers,
              Iain

• 4. Re: eCart recommendations?
                Community Member
                Iain,

presentation methods.

--

Dave Buchholz
                I-CRE8
                www.i-cre8.co.uk

Hi there,

I
                really well.

than

PayPal

technical

Cheers,
                Iain

• 5. Re: eCart recommendations?
                  Community Member
                  Iain,

presentation methods.

--

Dave Buchholz
                  I-CRE8
                  www.i-cre8.co.uk

Hi there,

I
                  really well.

than

PayPal

technical

Cheers,
                  Iain

• 6. Re: eCart recommendations?
                    Community Member
                    Iain,

presentation methods.

--

Dave Buchholz
                    I-CRE8
                    www.i-cre8.co.uk

Hi there,

I
                    really well.

than

PayPal

technical

Cheers,
                    Iain

• 7. Re: eCart recommendations?
                      Community Member
                      Iain,

presentation methods.

--

Dave Buchholz
                      I-CRE8
                      www.i-cre8.co.uk

Hi there,

I
                      really well.

than

PayPal

technical

Cheers,
                      Iain

• 8. Re: eCart recommendations?
                        Community Member
                        Iain,

presentation methods.

--

Dave Buchholz
                        I-CRE8
                        www.i-cre8.co.uk

Hi there,

I
                        really well.

than

PayPal

technical

Cheers,
                        Iain

• 9. Re: eCart recommendations?
                          Community Member
                          Iain,

presentation methods.

--

Dave Buchholz
                          I-CRE8
                          www.i-cre8.co.uk

Hi there,

I
                          really well.

than

PayPal

technical

Cheers,
                          Iain

• 10. Re: eCart recommendations?
                            Community Member
                            Iain,

presentation methods.

--

Dave Buchholz
                            I-CRE8
                            www.i-cre8.co.uk

Hi there,

I
                            really well.

than

PayPal

technical

Cheers,
                            Iain

• 11. Re: eCart recommendations?
                              Community Member
                              Iain,

presentation methods.

--

Dave Buchholz
                              I-CRE8
                              www.i-cre8.co.uk

Hi there,

I
                              really well.

than

PayPal

technical

Cheers,
                              Iain

• 12. Re: eCart recommendations?
                                Community Member
                                Iain,

presentation methods.

--

Dave Buchholz
                                I-CRE8
                                www.i-cre8.co.uk

Hi there,

I
                                really well.

than

PayPal

technical

Cheers,
                                Iain