• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The disk copy was changed since you last opened it.

Participant ,
Jan 18, 2012 Jan 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

..... Do you want to save it anyway?

I'm starting to get this message again a lot. It went away for awhile, and is now back.

It started with CS5.

I think Adobe blames it on other software but cannot pinpoint it?

Can anyone fill me in?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the previous discussions. Yes, it is caused by something outside of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chris. Can you reveal/distilll on this new simplified thread what I need to due to eliminate it?

(I went through the morass of threads and could not decipher it)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't eliminate it.  You just live with it.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for the cause, it can be any of a variety of things:  the Finder itself, a font manager (e,g. Suitcase), Dropbox, etc.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you can find which other app it is, you can't do much.

And there are indications that (at least on MacOS) the problem may be with the OS, Finder, or TimeMachine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 19, 2012 Jan 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks T and Chris.

Appreciate the honesty.

But Chris, even if it's the fault of something else, it started with CS5, and it only comes up with this app, no?

If that is true, there must be something with the devolepment with CS5 that is not happy with certain things on the OS.

I'm suppose you guys are working on it. Maybe it'll just diappear one day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop does a lot of error checking when opening and saving files -- more than most other applications. So Photoshop catches more errors, and reports them to the user.

Yes, we keep working on issues like this, and rarely find them to be actual bugs in our code - but find lots of third party bugs.

Unfortunately, many of these are system specific and won't reproduce elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chris, I see. I don't want to rehash anything, but I think most laymen like me would be befuddled that PS is checking something that touches another app or utility and then bringing up an error.

I'm ok with it -- T's philsoply is zen like and well just wait for it to pass one day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Imagine if you're working in Painter and Photoshop -- you don't want Photoshop to save over what you just saved in Painter, you'd probably like to know it was changed instead of losing that work.

And Photoshop can see if the file changed and ask if you want to open the updated file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sort of hard to get my head around that Chris. I know if would be tiring to expand on that. I get the premise a bit. but maybe you can make this a prefernce in the future -- like with maximize capability..?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We can't easily make error checking a preference.

("would you like you knife with a handle, or do you like bleeding a lot?")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2012 Apr 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kevin4545 wrote:

Thanks Chris. Can you reveal/distilll on this new simplified thread what I need to due to eliminate it?

(I went through the morass of threads and could not decipher it)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2012 Apr 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's how I eliminated the issue on a Mac using Lion. Make sure the window that contains the file is not open on the desktop. As long as I do that, I don't get the message. Whenever I forget to close it, I do get the message. Hope this helps you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice of you to follow up with helpful info, gozgirl02, but could you please be just a little more specific?

Is that a Finder window that contains the file on the desktop, or maybe Bridge?  Details make all the difference.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. It is open in the Finder window. I don't use Bridge.I also noticed it doesn't seem to make a difference whether I have the window in icon view or as a list - causes the problem either way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 08, 2012 May 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i can't believe it, but I think this worked for me too. Pretty stupid that the mac OSX is doing weird stuff like that in relation to my photoshop files. that annoying 'do you want to save cause it already has been or something' pop up was driving me mad. thanks for the help gozgirl02.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2012 Jan 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You seem to be concentrating on the effect of the error checking...  The implication above is that something the system is doing is (unexpectedly) touching the file.  Wouldn't it be best to understand what that is all about and correct it, anticipate it, or configure around it?

Is this happening on all Mac systems?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, that's for me? don't understand. The error comes on only with one app. PHotoshop. It comes up after you save a file. That's it. It's a total nuisance. I click command S to save. and then the message comes up.

It's not even an error message. It's saying something in the file has changed -- of course, I'm working on the file. I decide it's time to do a save. And it's asking if I want to save, something has changed.

One of the all time nuisances of a major software.  I'm going to live with it as T says.  If you know more what this is about let me know. I'd love to get rid of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was kind of addressed to Chris...  All I'm saying is that there's an implication here that something is systemically touching (or possibly altering) files while you are editing them, and that's most certainly not something that should be tolerated or ignored.

Either it's the normal way a Mac system works (which I don't know but I doubt) or something you specifically have running on your system is causing it, which you should understand and possibly change.  If the former (normal operation), then Adobe needs to change the way Photoshop works, because the error message is bogus.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel, you don't get this message?

In previous versions I never saw this. Now it comes up. I love to know how to remove it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get it just fine.

In computers nothing is magic.  Even in Macs.

Something is triggering logic in Photoshop that checks to see if any changes have been made to a file since you opened it.  You would not normally expect that to happen.  Another poster above has indicated it happens a lot and should just be ignored.  I say get to the bottom of why it's happening because it just might be important.

It might be that OSX is now doing something it didn't when your version of Photoshop was designed or it might be that something you've installed is doing it.  Any reason not to try to find out just what it is?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To further what I just said, if it DOES turn out to be something you've installed or configured on your system that's unexpectedly touching the file, then whose job do you think it is to diagnose and correct the problem?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel writes:

"Any reason not to try to find out just what it is?"

I'm all ears Noel!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, I am very grateful to Adobe, PHotoshop, and Chris Cox --great software.  Not moaning here.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines