• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can Digital Editions show videows in ebooks???

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2012 Feb 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the trial version of InDesign to see if I could create a ePub version of some documentation I have created.  I can get the text and images to work fine, but I have not been able to get Digital Editions to show the video I included in the ePub.  I tried it as an AVI, MOV and MP4.  I transfered the exact same file to an iPad and the movie played fine.  I tried another ePub that I know has a movie (MOV file) in it on Digital Editions and it didn't work.  So I am wondering if Digital Editions can use videos in an ePub ebook?  If so what format?

Mark

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2012 Feb 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This shouldn't be a tough question.  Does anyone have an answer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 09, 2012 Feb 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Video in ePubs is a bit of a mess.

ADE 1.7 only supports video embedded using Flash.  Note that ADE 1.8 (currently in Beta) does not support video at all - and the indication from Adobe are that if they do support video that will do it using the HTML5 'video' tag rather than flash embedding (which is the standard going forward as part of the EPUB3 spec)

As you may have already figured out the 'video' tag will work on some devices ( iPads and the Nook Color/Tablet), but not in any of the Mac/PC programs (ADE, Nook, etc..) yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2012 Feb 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks to everyone who helped.  It seems that as much as I hate to admit it the iPad is way ahead of anything on a PC.  I was looking at publishing ePub textbooks but without videos why?  I think that unless the creators of reading software quickly catch up Apple will control another content area.  I understand that Adobe is primarily concerned with content creators, but I think if Apple wins, Adobe will lose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines