9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2012 8:01 AM by Eric Greenfield RSS

How to align pieces the right way

Eric Greenfield Community Member

ok so i need to figure out a big mystery for me here...

i seem to never be able to get this right.

i have text and i want to connect a little flare from one of the letters

so i make a path with the pen tool and use one of the preset path profiles to make a little flare

Screen Shot 2012-02-02 at 9.37.15 AM.png

so i use the new cs5 width tool to play with the large end to get it to line up under the H but i cant get it to look right.... so i resort to outlining it. but it has so many anchor point so i went to path>simplify and made it better. However, I still cant get it to be exact? and yes I have smart guides turned on...never helped me

Screen Shot 2012-02-02 at 9.38.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-02-02 at 9.40.44 AM.png

so whats the secret? how do you get them to flow?

maybe someone can shed some light for me on how to achieve this?

• 1. Re: How to align pieces the right way
          Wade_Zimmerman Community Member

I would say you are going about it the wrong way you outline the text then add to swash directly to the letter watch the video.

BTW if you hold the option key ( Mac) alt key (PC) while you have the pen tool selected you get the convert anchor point so you can can break the anchor point handles to make the point.

here is a video that might help

http://www.wadezimmerman.com/videos/AddingSwash.mov

• 2. Re: How to align pieces the right way
            Grant H Community Member

adjust the points... ill post a quick tut now...

G

EDIT: yep: exactly how i'd have done it

• 3. Re: How to align pieces the right way
              Steve Fairbairn Community Member

I wouldn't dream of attempting anything like this without outlining the letters first.

There are various reasons for this which I won't go into now.

You say "... it has so many anchor points ..." but a simple sans serif H like this shouldn't have more than 12 anchors and a seriffed H no more than about 28, so that's not a problem.

Once you have outlined the type the rest should be very easy.

A bit of fiddling around with Pathfinder to join things up properly and you're there.

If you have a font editing programme like FontLab Studio and you have a lot of swashes that you want to add to letters, you might even consider adding the swash versions to your font. That way you can type them in whenever you need them.

• 4. Re: How to align pieces the right way

thank you so much.

yeah, so i was not outlining my text.

I thought I would be able to attach the piece on and use the width tool which makes it easier to make little flares and swashes.

it was my swash that I simplified not the  text.

However I have seen poeple do it the way I was trying and somehow they were successful, for instance here:

http://blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/tutorials/how-to-create-a-gothic-blackletter-typographic-d esign

just scroll down a bit and you'll see it

• 5. Re: How to align pieces the right way
                  Wade_Zimmerman Community Member

You are missing the point  in that sure when adding a swatch where only one point has to match that is a good way to do it and probably the best way that is different from what you are showing where it has to blend to two sides.

True he also use a shape to add to a where he had two sides but if you take better look you will that it is not the smoothiest of transitions.

If you wish to do it that way by all means do so but I think is not going to be the simplest way.

• 6. Re: How to align pieces the right way

I understand.

I think the best thing I can do, because im not the greatest drawer- is use the pen tool to create a swash, line it up as best as possible -and then use that path as a sketch for me to add real points to the actual text, the way you did, and try to follow the swash to create a nice transition

Screen Shot 2012-02-02 at 11.04.55 AM.png

last thing: how can I add 1 handle to the H anchor points at the bottom, without having to drag them out and then go and make sure only one side has them. as you can see, I want to add 1 handle going down to make it smooth

• 7. Re: How to align pieces the right way
                      mj0218

use Pen Tool to trace it and adjust.

• 8. Re: How to align pieces the right way
                        JETalmage Community Member

You don't have to draw the swash as a separate object. Just add a single anchorPoint to the middle of the segment:

...and yes I have smart guides turned on...never helped me...

It should now be obvious why you use SmartGuides. It's the only reliable snaps behavior Illustrator has.

...how can I add 1 handle...without having to drag them out and then go and make sure only one side has them...I want to add 1 handle...

In Illustrator, you can't. Illustrator's silly separate Convert tool does not let you extract one handle at a time, as does the far better Bezier interface of Adobe's other drawing program, FreeHand, which can do this with fewer moves with fewer tools and can ensure tangency of a single handle by use of Connector Points, which AI has never provided. Just more reasons why getting comfortable with SmartGuides is important in this cumbersome and tedious program.

JET

• 9. Re: How to align pieces the right way

thanks for all your replies! they were very helpful!