1 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next 385 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2016 1:44 PM by InspiredInstinct Go to original post
      • 320. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
        Niall O'Donovan Level 7

Hang tough!

There are a couple of ways, but probably the easiest would be to right click on the root node (normally "form1"). Then click "Insert script object". Just rename this to match the script object in Paul's example.

Then copy all of Paul's LockAllFields() function and paste it into the script object in your form.

Niall

• 321. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
          sscochran Level 1

Thanks, Niall. I feel like an idiot sometimes when I'm using the program. If I just tell the program what to do correctly, it works.

Got the variable inserted and connected to the button. Is it o.k. to use the action builder for my "lock form" button I've added instead of putting in the script Paul had?

1. myScript.LoclAllFields("form1");

It seems to work, but I have to test it out now.

• 322. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
            sscochran Level 1

Tested the form, and actually made the locking only refer to the Table2 where the quote information would be when I did the Action Builder. The table locks (fields turn white so I can't add info) once I click the button. I "saved as" and then tried to open it first in Adobe Acrobat (like a client would) and Adobe Reader and both times the table is editable. What am I doing wrong? Thanks, again!!

• 323. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
              sscochran Level 1

Figured it out. I didn't have the properties set correctly! Thanks again for your help. Looks like we're in business now!

• 324. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                Niall O'Donovan Level 7

Great!

Happy New Year,

Niall

• 325. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                  kegsta1 Level 1

Hi Niall - you seem to be the man as Paul has gone so quiet - I don't blame him after everyone asks him the same question 3000 times.  Enough to send anyone crazy      .

I've read every post here going back to 2008 on the subject and still can't believe that it's not a readily available function in Adobe/LC..   Anyway I thought I'd done everything you/Paul told me to - copied the script, set the permissions etc but nothing seems to be locking.    Would it be rude of me to ask you to take a look at my finished form to see what I'm doing wrong?   I am an Adobe virgin so it will be my inadequate knowledge/skills - but after spending more than 10 hours trying to find a solution I've decided to ask nicely for help.

It's a straightforward form that our staff will be filling out with different information on a daily basis and then distributing direct to a distribution list via email - so we want our people to be able to fill in the boxes but then to save it as an unfillable document before it is emailed. 

Is there somewhere I can email it? (or perhaps you could PM me with your email address?  (we are a not for profit search and rescue helicopter for the people of southern Queensland).  So you would be helping a very worthy cause ...

Many thanks in advance...

• 326. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                    Niall O'Donovan Level 7

Hi,

Unfortunitely Paul is no longer with Adobe (see here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4019004#4019004).

You can contact me via http://www.assuredynamics.com. I have an amended version of Paul's solution here: http://assure.ly/yDtfsM.

Niall

• 327. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                      kegsta1 Level 1

Thank you Niall.  I will contact you through your website as suggested...

• 328. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                        y.mamBo Level 1

Hi, I have several Files I filled out on Adobe Acrobat and now need to distribute as LOCKED pdf files. there are only two fillable form fields on each file and I am completely ignorant as to the use and creation of the scripts... The forms Do not have ANY submit buttons or any buttons at all because they are distributed via email.

How exactly do i lock these forms?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

• 329. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                          Niall O'Donovan Level 7

Hi,

If you have existing forms completed, the best way would be to open the form(s) in Acrobat and then print to a PDF. This will allow you to create a static copy of the form, which will not have any fields or access to change the data. Does that make sense?

If you want a scripted button to lock the fields in a form, you will need to open the existing form(s) in LiveCycle Designer and add the script from Paul's example.

Hope that helps,

Niall

• 330. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                            y.mamBo Level 1

I'm sorry, what do you mean by "Print to PDF"? (I have Acrobat X and

Livecycle)

• 331. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                              y.mamBo Level 1

P.S

Thanks SO MUCH!

Best,

Yansy

• 332. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                                Niall O'Donovan Level 7

Hi Yansy,

If you are in a Windows environment, then if you open the form in Acrobat X you can select Print and select the Adobe PDF driver:

Parallels Desktop2.png

You will be prompted to select a location for the "flat" PDF version.

This is equivalent to a printed version of the form that can't be edited.

Hope that helps,

Niall

• 333. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                                  y.mamBo Level 1

Oh dear!

It worked!!

I've been trying to do this for EVER.

Thanks a ton Niall.

Best Regards

Yansy

• 334. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                                    bztiger7 Level 1

may i get the script too please? bztiger7@gmail.com

• 335. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                                      Niall O'Donovan Level 7

Hi,

Paul's great example is available on page 5 of this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3168183#3168183.

Have a good look at it, because the loop in the function can be used for so many things.

Good luck,

Niall

• 336. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                                        Tmo81 Level 1

kingphysh wrote:

Even if what you suggest could be done with Acrobat, why is that a good solution. I think the workflow question is, how can the person/admin send or receive a filled-in form and have it locked so it can't be altered? And the way I see it (and the way I do it) is by using scripting. I have a dwelling inspection report that the inspector fills out and then turns it over to underwriter, locked, and sends a copy to the agent, locked. I built in a secret way to unlock the form by leaving a camouflaged field unlocked. Then the admin can unlock it by entering a password into the secret unlocked field, which unlocks everything. It works well and there's nothing needed besides Reader--no saving extra copies, No Acrobat, no Designer or changing security settings, removing Extend Reader Functions or having to produce a separate PDF. Just click a button.

Hello Stephan,

in those few words you excactly describe the workflow I am looking for. So I created a fillable form and have some issues with it:

There are two pages in this form, only the first one should be fillable for users. The second page (hidden for users) should be sort of pre-filled by the user-filled information to get going with next workflowsteps.

So I want this form to be protected once the user filled and/or submitted it (got a submit-issue as well ). In the "backend" I want the admin to unlock the form so the second page will be available for him. I do not really know, how to realise that, even though I read every single post in here. This lecture got me a sleight idea on what it should be all about, still I'm a scripting noob on that one.

The other issue is about a submit button. I can't get it to work properly with my thunderbird-client. Well - it should be working for both outlook and thunderbird anyway. I think that there could be a chance to combine those issues with each other in one single script solution. Anyway - I'm getting back to my state of being a script-noob :-/

Any help is appreciated

• 337. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                                          nsoz7 Level 1

Hi Guys,

I am using Adobe Acrobat X and creating a Forms natively. We do not use LiveCycle.

So I have created a form with several fields, buttons a date picker - some of which I have found online.

The forms that I will be creating will be placed on the Intranet of the Organisation that I work for.

So what I need is for our users to fill out the form online. Press the Submit button. When they press submit the form must lock all the contents. We do not want to contents edited when it reaches its destination. The submit button will also call up the default email program, populate the TO: field with a specified email address and the Subject field with specified text.

Been stuck on this one for a while. I used some simple html with the submit button for a while and that mostly worked except the part about locking the form.

This might be tricky as the user will not have access to save the form online (I assume if the form contents is going to be locked it must be saved somewhere).

So if somneone can java me up a solution i would greatly appreciated.

I have tried a few of the solutions on the previous pages but they won't seem to work.

I add the Java as per link

]http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/9343/adobeforums.jpg

Many Thanks,

Nick

• 338. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                                            radzmar Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi,

the JavaScript methods in Acrobat are different to those in LiveCycle, so your script needs some changes.

Use the this.getField() method instead of xfa.resolveNode() and this.submitForm() instead of event.target.SubmitForm().

• 339. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                                              c-k-jensen Level 1

Hi

I have the same problem as Nick using Acrobat X Pro.

I'd like to send a form by email so that the reciever gets a flat pdf.

I tried to fill in what you've suggested but I've never tried to do javascript before so perhaps it's just nonsense:

this.getField(button name).access ="readOnly";
                                              if (choice == 1){

var mail;

var address = "email@email.com";

var ccadd = ccAdd.rawValue; //taken from a field placed on the form

var sub = "xxxx";

var body = "xxxxxx";

mail = "mailto: email@email.com" + address + "?cc=" + ccadd + "&subject=" + sub + "&body=" + body;
                                              this.submitForm({

cURL: mail,

bEmpty: true,

cSubmitAs: "PDF",

cCharset: "utf-8"

});

}

I can't get it to work. I get a syntax error: "missing ) after argument 1" at line 2 (if (choice == 1))

Thank you in advance,

Charlotte

• 340. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                                                Niall O'Donovan Level 7

As Radzmar said, this.getField() is not an XFA Form method (it is only applicable to AcroForms). This is what is causing the problem.

Niall

• 341. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                                                  y.mamBo Level 1

Hey... how do i "print to pdf" on a Mac if i don't see the Adobe Pdf driver

on the menu of printers available?

Thanks!!

Yance

• 342. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                                                    Niall O'Donovan Level 7

Hi,

I am afraid that you can't any more. This is mainly due to changes that Apple made (as far as I can remember).

Basically in Acrobat for Mac OR Reader for Mac, you cannot Print to PDF.

I did try a workaround a year ago of Saving the form as a Postscript file and then creating the PDF from that. However the problem is that this approach does not honour presence set to "visible (screen only)", so buttons are visible on the PDF version.

Hope that helps,

Niall

• 343. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                                                      y.mamBo Level 1

It helps MUCH!

Thank you so much...

I have a PC, so i guess i'll just have to send it to my PC and from there

print to pdf... a pain... but looks like the only solution...

Thanks once again.

Yance

• 344. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                                                        c-k-jensen Level 1

But I am using Acrobat X Pro. As I understood it, I should use this.getField() in Acrobat...

• 345. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                                                          Niall O'Donovan Level 7

Hi,

No that is not how it works. If you are developing your form in LC Designer, then it is an XFA Form inside a PDF wrapper. To the user the XFA Form opens up in Acrobat/Reader and they do not see any difference from a native PDF. But from a developer's point of view an XFA Form is completely different from an AcroForm.

this.getField() is an AcroForm method that will not work in script in an XFA Form. The equivalent would be:

ButtonName.access = "readOnly";

Hope that helps,

Niall

• 346. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                                                            dxstock Level 1

I created a form and all the code works to 'lock all fields'.  When attached and sent via email, the file is not truly flattened.  Is there a way to ensure the form is locked that is received by anyone that has Reader or Acrobat without having to 'reprint' to PDF?

• 347. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                                                              Niall O'Donovan Level 7

Hi,

You are correct, the script does not "flatten" the form. It merely works through all of the objects, setting their access to readOnly. This has the same effect as flattening the form, as the user cannot change the content.

If in your case the form is received by email and when opened the objects are no longer set to readOnly, then it may be that the form is not set to preserve script changes. To check this open the form in LC Designer and go to the File > Form Properties > Defaults. There make sure that the "Preserve Script Changes" is set to "Automatic".

Please note that if the form is NOT Reader Enabled and the user is using Reader, then this solution will not work, as the user will NOT be able to save the form.

This is probably the best route for protecting the form, outside of the full LiveCycle Enterprise Suite.

Hope that helps,

Niall

• 348. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                                                                dxstock Level 1

OMGosh!  I have searched the web for three days!  That fixed it.  I cannot thank you enough – not only for providing the solution, but your reply was in record time!  Thank you, again x100!

diana

• 350. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                                                                  BjornStr Level 1

Hi all,

This scrip works like a charm when doing this:

1. Open the form in Adobe reader

2. Fill it

3. Press the "lock" button

4. Save and close

5. Reopen in Adobe reader; the fields can not be edited

However, and unfortunately, some of the users of my form are opening the saved and locked form in PDF Exchange (not an adobe product), and are able to edit it. I havent tested it in other PDF applications, but I fear this might be true to more than PDF Exchange!

I am at a loss here. No idea how to solve this problem, and the viable ONLY sollution for this specific form is to lock it the way the script does it.

Any ideas?

Most gratefully

/B

• 351. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                                                                    SJ3ff Level 1

Looking at Paul's script is there a way to perform the lock and then email the locked form to in a one button click? In other words, the user fills in the form, clicks the Submit button that would lock the form and then email it to a user.

• 352. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                                                                      CGM8130 Level 1

Hi Paul,

I think I have the same need as a lot of people here and your script may work for me too. 

I have created a form in Livecycle Designer ES2.  It is a fillable PDF that will be posted on our intranet for our maintenance staff to complete.  I used a "Submit by Email" to have the completed form emailed to me.  My problem is that the pdf attachment I receive can be edited and I need it to be locked.  Will your script accomplish this?

I would also like to make the same form a template so they cannot save the information in the original form.

My email is cmarques@ahfc.us

Thank you for your help.

Carmen

• 353. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                                                                        greunen Level 1

Please help!!??

I have exactly the same issue. I was requested to create an invoice template for a client. I created the template using InDesign and Adobe Acrobat to create the form fields.

Once i send the pdf form to my client he should be able to fill in the form with his customer's details and then save and send a locked pdf via email to his customer to be reviewd and payd.

How can i acchive this? I like the option of being able to add a button that can save and send the pdf after the fields have been completed.

my email: nvggraphics@gmail.com

• 354. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                                                                          Niall O'Donovan Level 7

Hi,

The Lock All Fields example was created in LiveCycle Designer and cannot be directly transferred into an AcroForm (eg a form created in Acrobat).

You would need to add script to a button that sets each field to read only. For example,

this.getField("invoiceAmount").readOnly = true;

Hope that helps,

Niall

• 355. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                                                                            Solution2013 Level 1

This is exactly the script I'm needing. Can you please email the sample to jhoffman@solutionary.com?

• 356. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                                                                              sbdance2 Level 1

Hi,

Can I also have that information.  I spent the afternoon trying to figure it out.

Thank you

email:  sandyjk2@yahoo.com

• 357. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                                                                                Westates_Keith Level 1

Can you email me the script as well please?  keithsantaana@gmail.com I've been looking for the exact same thing!  Thanks

• 358. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                                                                                  Niall O'Donovan Level 7

Hi,

If you look back up through this thread, the script is provided in an attached form. I think on page 6 of the thread.

There are also screenshots showing how where to place the script object in your form and how to reference the script.

Good luck,

Niall

• 359. Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF
                                                                                    Westates_Keith Level 1

Hi Niall,

I'm still very new to this but I'm trying to design a fillable pdf form at work for my sales reps to use on their tablets, smartphones or laptops when they are out on the field. The pdf I am trying to design is a sales order write up.  The purpose is so the sales rep can use this form to enter an order, quantity, desciption of product, mail date, expiration date, ect.  I would also like the ability to have the form time and date stamped according to when the sales order was placed.  Once the sales rep has filled up the form, the file needs to be locked/finalized/uneditable and emailed it to me at work.  At the moment I have to deal with sales reps writing their orders down on a piece of paper and trying to decypher their horrible handwriting. Some reps will make the effort to send emails or texts but are so limited with their information that it makes my work difficult to move forward.  By providing the sales reps with a fillable pdf form with drop down menus and items to select from, taking new orders will be a more pleasant experience.

If you could point me to the right direction with links and samples that would be greatly appreciated.

Based on the type of form I'm trying to design, is it possible to create this as a standalone pdf form?

Let me know if you would be able to help me with this.

Best Regards,

Keith

1 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next