• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I cannot export to pdf from Indesign... I export and then nothing happens. Can someone please help?

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2012 Feb 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign worked well for a long time.  Then recently, after I and to reset my computer to an earlier time, Indesign stopped letting me export to PDF. I get no error message.  It is just that nothing happens after I export it.  I have some major deadlines for printin and am desperate for help.  I emailed the Indesign file to someone else and they were able to export it and create a PDF. 

I look forward to any suggestions. I would gladly pay someone if they can get it to work again.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 11, 2012 Feb 11, 2012

Sure, if you want to pay, they'll be happy to take your money. Call Tech support and open a case. Make sure you get a case number, and the name of the person helping you, and don't let them tell you they'll call you back. If necessary, don't be shy about insisting on being escalated to the next level.

Before you spend money, though, read this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2850080#2850080

It's 4 pages, but make sure you read the whole thing. There are several possible solutions for turnin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2012 Feb 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the prefs as the first step. See Replace Your Preferences

If that doesn't work, you probably need to reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Thanks for the tip.  Seems logical.  I tried it.

However, no luck.

I have reinstalled the program.

Other ideas. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the latest patch for your version?  Which version are you using, by the way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possibly an Acrobat issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat is not involved at all with an export.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob Levine wrote:

Acrobat is not involved at all with an export.

Its just ... that Peter said "It is just that nothing happens after I export it." ... When I feel there is a lack of information... I can only assume.

*Grins*

lil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mentioned:  ..... to reset my computer to an earlier time

I think it would be helpful for people in the forum if you could clarify how and why you were resetting your computer to an earlier time.

This probably has something to do with the problem you are experiencing now.

Also tell us the version of your operating system and also the version of your InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have CS5.5.

I reinstalled both the original CS5 and the upgrade to CS5.5.

Here is how my computer technical partner explained what happened...

First the computer was restored to an earlier point, prior to having the problems of locking up, using Windows' system restore. That somehow messed up the user profile and that I had to rebuild. Saved the user's files, deleted and then re-created the user. I've moved all the files that I could without causing the problem to re-occur. The user's registry and the user's application data folder unfortunately contained corrupt files that made that user profile unusable so they had to be omitted but they are all saved on the hard drive in case they need to be accessed.

Since I reinstalled cs5.5 I get an error message "1 Problem (1 failure) was found with a background task: Export:"(filename).pdf" (1)

I took a little while to get a precise answer.  I appreciate the thoughtful questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you reinstalled the 7.5.2 patch?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, how do I do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help > Updates...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found and tried to install the patch.  It said that the install was not successful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did the error message say why? Perhaps you tried to install the patch for ID Server..

The help menu path is the best method, if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

You were correct.  I tried to install the ID server version.

The other version installed perfectly.  That is the good news.

The bad news is that I still get the error  when I attempt to export - "1 Problem (1 failure) was found with a background task: Export:"(filename).pdf" (1)"

Thanks for your ideas. They are important steps to take to eliminate the obvious.  

Any other suggestions for next steps?

Is there a tech service at Adobe I can pay for to dig into this?  I need to solve it quickly.

Thoughts welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, if you want to pay, they'll be happy to take your money. Call Tech support and open a case. Make sure you get a case number, and the name of the person helping you, and don't let them tell you they'll call you back. If necessary, don't be shy about insisting on being escalated to the next level.

Before you spend money, though, read this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2850080#2850080

It's 4 pages, but make sure you read the whole thing. There are several possible solutions for turning off background exports, and some other useful info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Thanks for hanging in there with me.  I read through the four pages and found that if I added the files to a book - then printed the book to a pdf it created a  pdf file.

Many, many thanks.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2012 Feb 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ (peterfrommaine)-peter – since you use InDesign CS5.5, be aware that there is a bug (at least up to version 7.5.2) with PDF export with books that could mess up your page numbers. You are not affected, because you printed to PDF (that is the "print-PostScript-distill-to-PDF" way).

But if you want to export to PDF, read this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3750835#3750835

So then I would go a different route. Use a script that exports in foreground (there are several around; if you read the thread mentioned by the other Peter, you already found that link: ExportPDF_in_Foreground_CS5.jsx) or use the more radical method Matthew Lawn suggested to prevent all background exporting (not only PDF export):

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3689090#3689090

And see the following implementation (very cool) by Marijan Tomba "controlBackgroundExport.jsx":

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3690507#3690507

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe,

Thanks for these additional thoughts.  I am a new and fairly low tech user of InDesign.  I am using it primarily to edit documents created by others. 

My main objective is simply to be able to export files for printing -sometimes I need a single page layout and sometime I need a double page spread layout (for brochures).

I would like to be able to use the full export capabilities again. 

Which of the solutions you provided would both:

1) Be easiest to implement?

2) Work well and have little or no side effects?

Finally, would you be so kind as to provide a novice a step by step guide as to how to implement the solution you recommmend?

Thanks for your support.

All the best,

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@(peterfrommaine)-Peter – to prevent export without background functionality you need "controlBackgroundExport.jsx" by Marijan Tomba.

Just read about it here:

http://indesignsecrets.com/how-to-install-scripts-in-indesign.php

If you are on Windows7 the following blog post is a good read:

http://indesignsecrets.com/getting-around-windows-7-security-to-save-files-into-indesigns-applicatio...

Running a script is easy: just locate your script in the Scripts palette of InDesign and double-click on it.

A prerequisite for my script is an already opened InDesign file, just double-click it, choose an output folder, click "open", you will be prompted for a file name, click "ok", the PDF export dialog will pop up and you can go on with exporting to PDF as you are used to it…

Note: you can apply a keyboard shortcut to the script.

Uwe

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is all very helpful, so thank you very much! But, run a script...? Seriously Adobe? I admit my ignorance, but still, is this too much to ask for:    " File    >    Export "

This is ridiculous. I know if I loved sitting in a chair for years and getting into the weeds with ID I would find it amazing, but let me just say the future is bright as far as userability for this kind of software goes. I have never had so much trouble formatting via human logic -- and yes, that includes Word and all the MS stuff.

Anyway thanks again, I guess I'm gonna try and hack into the mainframe in order to receive my cutting edge, top-of-the-line, state-of-the-art PDF!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Nick22831692c1xd , I think you missed that this thread is ten years old. If you’re having problems exporting to PDF, maybe start a new thread, or let us know the details of your problem along with your InDesign version and OS info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2013 Aug 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We just experienced the same ERROR! and I read this forum from top to bottom.

The answer was plane and simple.

The folder I was trying to EXPORT the PDF to was a Read Only Folder created on our LAN network by my collegue.

So CHECK YOUR FOLDER PERMISSIONS or simply SAVE/EXPORT the PDF to you desktop.

Worked like a charm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2014 Sep 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul, You win the genius award and saved my bacon! Thanks... simple as a stupid folder permissions issue. Worked immediately. You're the best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2014 Nov 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just noticed this message (not active in the Forum world) except for reading…glad I could of been assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines