Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Limit searched results

Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2006 Oct 02, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a massive project in X5 which on the whole is working as it should.... so far!

One really annoying/bugging thing is the search facility. I have loads and loads on pop up files which i do not want to be able to be searched against. I have searched everywhere to see if there is an option to disable a file to be searched against but to no avail.

Does anyone know of a work around?

Thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out this thread.

Kind Regards
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Just tried to reply, apparently without success, so sorry if this is duplicate)

This could be useful to me. Why does the Adobe page deny me access ('Sorry, you don't have permission...')

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry bawd, try this link

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=65&catid=451&threadid=1167875
The topic has a few ideas/approaches.....

Personally this is the approach that I use. Not as fiddly as it looks:
This is how I hide topics from the webhelp search tab. It is a manual process, but we only run through the process/tweak before major builds. Its not as daunting as it first seems. I think that this may trick may have originated from the good RoboWizard but I don't have the time to find the source of this trickery right now (apologies if there is an element of plagiarism Rick).

How to exclude the pop up topic from the search:.

1. Generate the project.
2. Go to the webhelp/publishing folder. Copy the files (e.g. popup_xyz.htm etc). that you wish to exclude form the search to a nice safe location You'll need these files later.
3. Now set up a new conditional tag in your project (e.g. not_in_search).
4. Apply this conditional tag to the topics you wish to exclude form the search (e.g. popup_xyz.htm etc).
5. Delete the entire contents of the webhelp output folder.
6. Generate the project again (this time, make sure your build expression excludes the topics that you have marked with the conditional tag e.g not_in_search).
7. Once the generation process is complete. Copy the files that you put in nice save location (e.g. popup_xyz.htm etc to the webhelp output folder).
8. Run your help and the popups will not appear in the search.

Note: This tweak needs to be run every time you want the topics excluded, so you may just prefer to do it when you area about to ship a version of your help system.

Kind Regards
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Craig!

To be honest, that one's been around so long I don't recall myself. Doesn't matter anyway, as anything I've ever put out there is for all to use. While attribution is nice sometimes, it doesn't really bother me one way or the other unless it is something I know originated elsewhere and someone is trying to pass it off as their own.

As you probably well know by now, I have no other purpose or agenda save for trying to help. And I deeply admire that quality in others.

Cheers all... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for making the effort, Craig, but I'm locked out of this one too!

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bawd...

Lets try getting you in the back door :-)
Run a forum search on the webhelp category "Making topics unsearchable"
You should get one single result.

Kind Regards
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Oh dear. Yes - one result:

'Did you mean "making topics unreachable"?'

No, I didn't.

(This had better be worth it...)

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp