• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting for Windows Media Player?

Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2012 Feb 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work on a Mac and am switching from FCP. In FCP the option was to export as QT or h.264. I'm noticing in CS5.5 on a Mac that there is no .WMV option.

1. Is .WMV not used anymore?

2. What is the best format to export for Windows users?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 12, 2012 Feb 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WMV is used a lot ( by me and my clients and I assume many others on all platforms because no one ever tells me they cant use it).

WMV is a great option for Windows Users.  It avoids Quicktime issues such as gamma and PAR weirdness.

What are you going to do about it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 13, 2012 Feb 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need a third-party component to export WMV files on Mac OS. One such piece of software is Flip4Mac: http://www.telestream.net/flip4mac-wmv/overview.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. For the kinds of thing you'd use WMV, I'd say H.264. is by FAR the more common choice.

2. This depends on what it will be used for, but H.264 wil offer the best image quality at any given bitrate, far superior to WMV.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use wmv to avoid the QT gamma issue.

Unfortunately  many clients use the review files to make IQ judgements.  I get more negative comments when I do QT (h264) than I do with wmv despite the fact there are no issue with the files they are produced from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I prefer to make H.264 for client reviews, but a lot of clients can't or won't figure out how to play them, and insist on WMV.  Being on Mac, I export ProRes from Pr, and then use QT Pro to make the WMVs.  There is a gamma shift using this process.  The MP4 looks like the original, is a far superior looking codec at lower bit rates than WMV.

I suggest that clients install the free cross-platform VLC player, which is the Swiss Army Knife of media players.  But, a lot of corporate IT departments won't let them install any software.

I look at the extra transcoding steps as a revenue generating opportunity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export the video as H.264 and container it in MP4 instead of MOV.

Windows Media Player will play .mp4 with no extra plug-ins required.

You also have the bonus that in doing so you'll avoid the gamma problems of QuickTime (and requirement for the client to install it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like it ought to.  But, I keep getting mail from my clients saying, "I can't open this."  My movies have the mp4 extension.  What can I tell them to get them to play?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

post your exact export options (screen capture of the AME gui video,audio & multiplexer tabs will suffice) - I'll have a look for you.

MP4[h.264 + pcm] or MP4[h.264 + aac] etc should absolutely play on Windows 7 (and Vista?). Now if it's Windows XP then yes I don't think h.264 is supported as a video codec and it also doesn't understand the MP4 container.

!tip! if you bring up WMP->Help->About then click on the bottom "Technical Support Information" you'll get a page showing all the codecs WMP has to work with.

eg here is my virgin work computer (windows 7) that plays mp4[h.264] just fine...

Video Codecs

TypeNameFormatBinaryVersion
ICMMicrosoft RLEMRLEmsrle32.dll6.1.7601.17514
ICMMicrosoft Video 1MSVCmsvidc32.dll6.1.7601.17514
ICMMicrosoft YUVUYVYmsyuv.dll6.1.7601.17514
ICMIntel IYUV codecIYUViyuv_32.dll6.1.7601.17514
ICMToshiba YUV CodecY411tsbyuv.dll6.1.7601.17514
ICMCinepak Codec by Radiuscvidiccvid.dll1.10.0.13
DMOMpeg4s Decoder DMOmp4s, MP4S, m4s2, M4S2, MP4V, mp4v, XVID, xvid, DIVX, DX50mp4sdecd.dll6.1.7600.16385
DMOWMV Screen decoder DMOMSS1, MSS2wmvsdecd.dll6.1.7601.17514
DMOWMVideo Decoder DMOWMV1, WMV2, WMV3, WMVA, WVC1, WMVP, WVP2wmvdecod.dll6.1.7601.17514
DMOMpeg43 Decoder DMOmp43, MP43mp43decd.dll6.1.7600.16385
DMOMpeg4 Decoder DMOMPG4, mpg4, mp42, MP42mpg4decd.dll6.1.7600.16385

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I'm guessing that for a lot of big corporations I'm dealing with are on old OS builds of Windows.  Probably not Windows 7, probably not Vista.

Here's a typical export setting I use:

Screen shot 2012-02-13 at 1.56.15 PM.png

The irony here is that one of my clients who can't view mp4s is a high-tech provider of cloud services and internet devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your settings are fine.

Your clients most likely run Windows Server 2003 or 2008; both of which are perfect for use in cloud services but don't have extensive multimedia support.

The no-codec-required answer is to render to mpeg2 not h.264.

The get-them-to install a codec answer (QuickTime, FFdshow, VLC, MPlayer etc etc) all add h.264 and mp4 container support.

Most likely these machines don't have WMV with VC1 anyhow - so even if you could render to WMV it won't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2016 Jun 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've been having the same problem when Exporting from Premiere Pro to send on to clients that want to view it on Windows Media Player.

I had two different videos that I sent onto a client, exported using H.264 HD 1080p 25 .mp4 and one of the videos worked and the other one didn't.

They were both exported using the same settings but one of the videos was a larger size than the other.

So I reduced the size of the video that didn't work to below 500MB (it was 403.9MB in the end) and this seemed to work.

Maybe see if this helps with you.

Hope that this solves the problem.

George

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines