12 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2012 2:17 AM by winterm RSS

The point of two points?

[Ariel] Community Member

Hello,

I've been meaning to ask for a long time: I often find myself cycling

through the measurement units (CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-U by default), especially

to switch between pts and mm.

Anway, I notice that there seem to be two types of points, or at least,

when you cycle through, to get past pts you have to press twice.

So I'm wondering: what is (is there?) a difference between those two

point measurements? What is the difference? How do I know which is

which? What's the real point? What am I asking? Why am I here?

No, but seriously. Do you know?

Thanks,

Ariel

• 1. Re: The point of two points?
          Daniel Flavin Community Member

This sounds like one for Ann Marie at InDesign Secrets...

• 2. Re: The point of two points?
            P Spier CommunityMVP

On my system when you run through that way you go through Pixels (which is the same as points) then custom, then real points.

• 3. Re: The point of two points?
              [Ariel] Community Member

I should have mentioned that I'm on CS4 (ME if that's relevant but I

think not in this case).

• 4. Re: The point of two points?
                P Spier CommunityMVP

I thnk you're seeinghte Custom units.

Go to the prefs and set your ruler to custom and I bet it shows 12 (the default) which would look just like the reguular points settings.

• 5. Re: The point of two points?
                  mpc999 Community Member

Maybe you're seeing Postscript points and traditional points, two choices in units preferences that are very similar.

• 6. Re: The point of two points?
                    P Spier CommunityMVP

mpc999 wrote:

Maybe you're seeing Postscript points and traditional points, two choices in units preferences that are very similar.

No, that governs the spacing of the tick marks in rulers that use points. The custom setting is also points, but changes the number of minor ticks between major lines. If you leave it at twelve, you'll be looking at Pica divisions.

• 7. Re: The point of two points?
                      [Ariel] Community Member

Hi mpc999: I also considered that -- but I measured carefully, well

zoomed in, and I saw that there was no difference. I think that's a

choice you make in preferences only (ie Adobe points or Trad points) and

it redefines the points measurement wherever it is used throughout the

document.

• 8. Re: The point of two points?
                        [Ariel] Community Member

Peter, you're right. Selecting custom in the prefs brings up 12pt in the

adjacent box (never noticed those boxes before, never used custom

either). I tried changing custom to 36pts, and lo! that change is

clearly reflected in the ruler when I cycle through the units. So one of

the points is the regular point, and the other is the custom.

But, if I'm guessing correctly, the custom unit IS actually points? It's

just the display on the ruler that changes when you select custom,

right? I guess some people want to be able to easily tick-off every 54th

point or what have you. But the underlying measurement unit remains

points, which is why (at least in CS4) it displays as points (ie all

measurements have the pt suffix).

So in that case Custom is not really the same as the other units.

Because for all other units, if  you type 1 in some measurement box,

you'll get different actual lengths; but for custom and points you'll

get 1 point in both cases. Wait, and I guess that the same for inches

and decimal inches too.

Okay, I guess this is making sense. Thanks!

Ariel

• 9. Re: The point of two points?
                          P Spier CommunityMVP

I think tha about sums it up. Custom is useful if you want easy oddball increments to show on the ruler (maybe for colmns of some sort), but it's still just points.

• 10. Re: The point of two points?
                            [Ariel] Community Member

Thanks all!

• 11. Re: The point of two points?
                              John Hawkinson CommunityMVP

If you want to know what unit you have selected, Control-click the intersection of the two rulers.

Reading this thread it looks like you didn't try that, but maybe I'm wrong.

It's a moot point anyhow, I guess, if it is even a point.

• 12. Re: The point of two points?
                                winterm Community Member

John Hawkinson wrote:

If you want to know what unit you have selected, Control-click the intersection of the two rulers.

That's on Mac, I suppose. In Windows - right click that intersection for context menu.