Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pdf files are generated at update

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2012 Feb 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I'm new to RH. When generating the help file (first time around or during subsequent updates), RH generates a pdf file for each page of my manual. Can someone tell me where this is disabled? Thanks so much.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community

For starters, please give the link below a read. Then reply back to this thread.

Click here to read

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read it, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ummm, the intent was for you to realize that we really don't have enough information to go on here in order to try and help.

You told us you are using RH, but not what "flavor" (RoboHelp for Word or RoboHelp HTML) nor which version (X5, 6, 7, 8, 9?) and we have no idea what output type you are creating (CHM, AIRHelp local, AIRHelp Browser, FlashHelp, WebHelp, Printed Output, etc.)

So I was hoping you would reply back with more info that may help us narrow it down a bit.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick, I understood exactly what you meant but didn't have the time to react yet.

I'm using Robohelp 9 (hence the tags: robohelp, 9) for HTML. Pdf files get created when I right-click on the book name within the Project Manager pod and select Update. I suppose the output type is WebHelp as it's indicated as primary output. Is this better now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tags? I'm unfamiliar with tags. I saw nothing in the Title of the thread or what you wrote that provided a clue you were using RoboHelp 9. So apologies if I missed something.

From what you replied with (thanks for the additional information) I'm assuming you have managed to link to something. Are you linking from Framemaker or from Microsoft Word?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tags is what I was asked to provide when posting this entry so out of the many I selected what I selected. Thank you for caring to guide me through anyway.

I've created the project by linking a pdf book to RH - didn't configure any output or enable some unknown (or known) options. When I hit Update (first time around), saw that pdf files were being created for each page of my book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, apologies as I'm lost on exactly what you are doing. Are you familiar with Jing or ScreenR?

http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html

http://www.screenr.com/

These apps allow you to record what you see on the screen and provide a link that allows others to watch the recording. I suggest these because I'm thinking in your case it might be beneficial for us to see first hand what you are seeing.

I promise that I'm not trying to be intentionally obtuse here.

In RoboHelp, I know we can establish links between Microsoft Word documents and Adobe Framemaker documents and update those links when the source content changes so it updates accordingly in RoboHelp. But I was unaware the same could be done with PDF. I'm also confused about your mention of seeing a PDF file for each "Book", so hopefully by showing us what is happening it will make more sense on our end.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rick. I didnt' write "for each book" but for each page of my book. Anyhow, I'll try to record what I see ont he screen and provide a link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2012 Feb 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick and all,

Here's a screencast of the problem I've been trying to describe above: http://screenr.com/15js

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2012 Feb 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Rick will agree there is something seriously flawed with your installation as it is going straight into the unconnected PDF Review process.

Other things to consider are is the RoboHelp project on a network drive? Move it to a local drive.

Is it the same in a brand new RoboHelp project created on your local drive?

Beyond that I would be beginning to consider uninstalling and reinstalling TCS.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! The thing repeats itself on both the network and local drives. My computer is running Windows 7, 32 bit - could this create the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that with a new project on the local drive?

Windows 7 is supported on both 32 and 64 bit systems so that should not be the problem. For what it is worth, no one else has reported this to the forums.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is. Have just created a new project on the local drive and the thing repeated itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you send me one of the books so that I can link to it?

See the contact page on my site. As it is just a FM book, it is OK to attach that to an email.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Links just fine here.

If you double click a .book or .fm in Windows Explorer, does it open in FM?

If it open in FM, then I am stumped. As before my first action now would be to uninstall and reinstall, probably using RevoUninstaller to clear out all registry entries. You might want to get IT support for that.

Then it would a call to Adobe.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, it opens in FM. I'll trying to un- and reinstall the software. Hopefully the last step won't be needed...

Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2012 Mar 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem fixed?

If it is, please share what worked.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2012 Mar 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not yet.

I found that the pdf files created as a result of the book update, get deleted by the program itself (which is why I couldn't open them). Also, after I learned about some possible  implications of the registry cleaning for my PC, it was decided not to proceed with "cardinal measures" - at least for now.

Thank you again for all your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2012 Mar 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK I'll assume the thread is concluded as far as you are concerned unless you come back later.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp