• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why Doesn't Acrobat X Installer Uninstall Reader X?

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2012 Feb 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning,

We have a site license for Acrobat X.  We want to deploy to our end users but many of them are already running Reader X.  I have used Adobe Customization Wizard X to create a mst file that says uninstall older versions of Adobe Reader.  In the past (we have had a site license since Acrobat 9) it uninstalled all versions of Reader ( 6.0 up to 9.x at the time).  In Acrobat X it is only uninstalling Reader 9 but not X.  I suspect it is reading Reader "10.x" as older than Reader "6.0".  Depending on how it interprets the numbers, it may show 10 lower than 6 since the first number of 10 is lower than 6.  Anyone have any similar issues?  is this a bug with the installer?  Thanks for any help.

TOPICS
Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 30, 2012 May 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. It seems that the transformation file removes older versions of Adobe Reader but not Reader X.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reader 10.0 is not a "previous version", so the Wizard is doing what the UI says it will do. Acrobat 10.0 and Reader 10.0 are now supported on the same machine. In fact, it's a good thing because Reader is more secure while Acrobat is more capable.

If you want to uninstall Reader, just do so in a separate transaction prior to running the new install.

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Ben for the quick reply.

So, I take it that the recommended option would be to have both Acrobat and Reader X on the same computer. Do I need to do anything to ensure that Reader X remains the default PDF viewer?

I believe In the customization wizard for Acrobat, I need to select the option "Installer will decide which product will be the default".

Parvez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines