4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2012 10:26 AM by dmkimm RSS

Anyone ever get "Audition could not find a supported audio device!" message?

dmkimm

When I try to start Audition 3.0 I get this message "Adobe Audition could not find a supported audio device. Please check your device settings." All of my system sounds and sounds from other programs work fine! This seemed to happen after a recent Windows or McAfee update as no other programs have been installed. I have also tried to "repair" Audition, when I run the repair it says that " The wizard was interupted before Adobe Audition 3.0 could be completely installed. Your system has not been modified. to complete installation at another time, please run set up again."

I have tried to reboot the computer several times and still have this happening! I am running Windows XP SP3. I can use system restore to go back before the update and get Audition to load. After the computer updates again, I am right back here the next time I try to start Audition. I know why not turn off your updates? Well, I do want the security and anti-virus updates...

I do not see any problems in device manager and all my system sounds are working along with sounds from other programs, web, etc. I just do not understand why after the updates and why the repair keeps getting stopped?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

• 1. Re: Anyone ever get "Audition could not find a supported audio device!" message?
          AdrianLucas Community Member

I'm getting the same message. I reinstalled completely and it worked for a day or two, but now it's back again. Immenseley annoying!

Adrian

• 2. Re: Anyone ever get "Audition could not find a supported audio device!" message?
            dmkimm

Yes it is Adrian! I have used system restore several times to get me back to where it will operate. The frustrating part is the uninstall program will not let me repair or uninstall the program, I always get the message "The wizard was interupted before Adobe Audition 3.0 could be completely installed. Your system has not been modified. to complete installation at another time, please run set up again."

If you have searched around a bit you probably found my previous post. when I resolved that for some reason after a reboot the repair function worked, but it only lasted a day or two just like you stated then right back to this mess of having to restore to a previous set point.

Very frustrating. About ready to reformat my hard disk and do a clean install of everything! I just don't have the time right now!

• 3. Re: Anyone ever get "Audition could not find a supported audio device!" message?
              ryclark Community Member

dmkimm wrote:

I do not see any problems in device manager and all my system sounds are working along with sounds from other programs, web, etc.

That could be part of your problem. Windows system sounds are usually played from 22kHz sample rate files. Thus Windows grabs your sound device to play the system sounds resetting the sample rate to 22kHz which Audition will interpret as not being able to "find a supported audio device". You should always turn off system sounds completely on a PC running DAW software to stop this happening.

Also you don't state what your audio device is. It will certainly be more prone to this problem if it is an onboard soundcard.

• 4. Re: Anyone ever get "Audition could not find a supported audio device!" message?
                dmkimm

ryclark wrote:

That could be part of your problem. Windows system sounds are usually played from 22kHz sample rate files. Thus Windows grabs your sound device to play the system sounds resetting the sample rate to 22kHz which Audition will interpret as not being able to "find a supported audio device". You should always turn off system sounds completely on a PC running DAW software to stop this happening.

Also you don't state what your audio device is. It will certainly be more prone to this problem if it is an onboard soundcard.

I know one has to be careful with the terms used here, Yes I do have the Windows XP system sounds turned off, what I meant by that was other programs especially videos played through my browser play fine. My system does have on onboard sound card a Realtek audio. I am also using a Mackie USB mixer, so using USB codec while running Adobe audition.

The puzzleing part to me is this had been working flawlessly for quite a while and then out of the blue (after a Windows XP and McAfee update, which may just be coincedence) things went awry. The most frustrating part is I can't seem to get either the repair or uninstall functions to work. the only thing that has worked so far is to use system restore back to a known system set point when Audition starts and runs fine.

Funny thing as since my initial post I have been able to slowly update my Windows XP and McAfee to current and now have Audition working and a new set point created. The repair and uninstall functions still do not run. When I try this message pops up "The wizard was interupted before Adobe Audition 3.0 could be completely installed. Your system has not been modified. to complete installation at another time, please run set up again." This same message displays wether I am running repair or trying to uninstall.

When I do get Audition to start it works great no problems at all. I just cringe everytime I need to restart the computer I hold my breath until audition starts!

I suppose to really get to the bottom of this I willhave to reformat and do a fresh install of OS and programs...