• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing the brush cursor

Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2012 Feb 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This question was posted in response to the following article: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WSA62EB5D9-3882-463f-8FA5-A0F472BADCF6a.html

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 15, 2012 Feb 15, 2012

Hello!

As far as your Brush problem, other users had increased their system's cursor sizes in Universal Access, and it triggered the issue. Set it back to default, and you should be ok.

Some had issues with their display drivers, and 10.7.3 fixed the disappearance of brush outlines between 350 and 650 (approximately) pixels for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have CS5.1 on the Imac, OS Lion. I have found that when I choose the brush tool, there is an outline of the brush and the actual color of the brush within that. In my case the outline of the brush is a lot larger than the actual brush size. Nothing I do in the preferences will change that. I have tried to reset the preferences to no avail. I wish I could explain it better. A picture would help but I don't know how to show a picture of what I am talking about. It is difficult to know where I am painting because of this. I have done an internet search for this problem but it seems like I am the only one having trouble.

One last thing, I have subscribed to the general Adobe forum for PS CS5 and, even though, I am signed in, I can't seem to reply or post to the forum. The reply button is there but nothing happens when I click on it.

Thanks, in advance.

Billnor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Billnor.

What browser and platform? Another long-time user had the same issue yesterday where he couldn't reply via Firefox, but could in IE. It cleared up for him overnight, so still not sure what was preventing him from being able to click on the Reply button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds exactly like what you would expect with Preferences > Cursors set to Full size brush tip.  What do you have set there?  Normal, should bring the size back down to the solid part of the brush, i.e. not showing the overspill from a soft brush tip.

Hmmm...  It looks like you might not be able to respond.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2015 Aug 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. That doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both. I am using Goggle Chrome for my browser on a Mac 10.7.3 Lion.

Yes, I don't know why I can't reply either. It says that I don't have that privilege. I did try the preference you suggested but it didn't change what I was getting before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

billnor wrote:

Yes, I don't know why I can't reply

My reflexes are a bit dulled today because I have a supreme headache, but...  Didn't you just reply?  

Different computer, different browser, different universe?

I recall reading on this forum not long ago about an OSX problem that was causing some kind of brush cursor inaccuracy (though now I think about it perhaps it was positional, not size, inaccuracy).  Are you up to date on your updates?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be replying via email.

In regards to the forum posting issue, can you try using IE or Firefox to see if things change? Does rebooting the computer help?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

billnor wrote:

Yes, I don't know why I can't reply

My reflexes are a bit dulled today because I have a supreme headache, but...  Didn't you just reply?  

-Noel

Oh oh!  The explanation is HERE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your kind help. PECourtejoie solved my problem by going into Universal Access.

Glad to have it worked out.

billnor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Noel. PECourtejoie solved the problem by setting the Universal Access mouse down to minimum.

Billnor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently I can't post an image since I don't seem to have that privilege either.

Billnor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like firefox was the key. Thank you for that suggestion. Now it seems to work as expected.

Yes, Noel, I don't know how that happened. I jumped to another page which allowed me to reply. I couldn't get back to that page. I have tried all of the cursor settings in the preferences but it doesn't seem to fix my particular problem.

Now how do I insert an image. Lets see if that will work.

Very appreciative of  all of your help.

Billnor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To insert an image click on the camera icon in the toolbar above the message box. Select the image on your system and that should do it. Like this...

jc_viewcamera.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for getting back to me. PECourtejoie solved the problem by leading me to the Universal Access mouse control.

Billnor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice picture, it made me smile. Thanks.

Billnor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

As far as your Brush problem, other users had increased their system's cursor sizes in Universal Access, and it triggered the issue. Set it back to default, and you should be ok.

Some had issues with their display drivers, and 10.7.3 fixed the disappearance of brush outlines between 350 and 650 (approximately) pixels for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did the job, PECourtepejoie. I had to turn it down to minimum. Thank you so much. I have tried so long.

Billnor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2012 Feb 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That certainly corrects the display problem of the CS5 brushes, thank you, but has anyone found a work around for this issue?

I've finally upgraded to an intel Mac Pro running 10.6.8 w/CS5 just last week from a G5.  I have a 2 monitor setup and, in Universal Access, I increase the size of the cursor so I can find the bloody thing in all that screen-estate. 

Previously with my G5, OS 10.5.8 and CS3, doing this did not affect the display size of the cursor in Photoshop.

Now with my newer machine, OS and flavor of PS, Universal Access affects the display size of the brush I am using.  The size of the brush displays at 2X the size it actually is which probably matches the size increase I made in Universal Access. As mentioned here, going to Universal Access and taking the cursor size back to normal fixes the CS5 issue, but then makes finding the cursor difficult again.

PS prefs are of course set for Precise and actual size and changing those back and forth didn't fix anything.

Thanks

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2014 Oct 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I also have this issue with the last and the very latest update of PS CC 2014 for October.. i thought it was maybe the other version and hoped the update via CC would solve it this week but it's still there?? I paint a LOT in PS and this is really getting me down

I tried the solution mentioned elsewhere, accessibility>Display check cursor size etc, but mine has never been changed. It only happens when I crank up the size to 'anything' past 125px, the brush goes up in size, the stroke reflects that on screen but the cursor is still staying put at 125px?? In fact, it sometimes just jumps back to mouse pointer??

After reading the above solution re 'display' I thought this MUST be the issue because (as a side note) in Muse CC, I can't get a 'loaded cursor' to display either and have asked on the Muse forums here and everyone scratches their head - no ideas? I 'hoped' that if I fixed the problem for Photoshop I would fix Muse but, I have also checked Muse after up-dating this week to new oct 2014 release - same thing - no loaded cursor preview?? Im on Mac OSX 10.9.5

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated its driving me crazy now!!!

Thanks all

Beej

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2014 Oct 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanx for comment but I'm using the same version of Photoshop CC on 2 computers (same installation). One which is not working with Win7 other with Win8 and its is fully working (red glare appears)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to view my brush cursor in the brush size. You say to "set it back to default". How do I do that?

To that point: Is there a schematic of which keystrokes yield a certain result. If so, how do I get that schematic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Whoa!!! 9 years later and still 100% relevant! I have no idea why I changed the size of my cursor in Universal Access but there it was. Once I changed it back, this problem went away!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2012 Feb 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RE: Photoshop Cursor (Pointer, Brush Shape, Tool) not changing.

If you already know how to go into the Photoshop>Preferences>Cursors and change the Painting Cursors to your choice (Standard, Precise, Normal Brush Tip, Full-Size Brush Tip etc.) and what you have set (can see in the example window) is NOT showing up on your artwork (canvas, board, workspace, window) then the PROBLEM IS Adobe Photoshop NOT you.

SOLUTION: Quit Photoshop FOREVER (just kidding – I love PS):

1.Quit Photoshop

2. Find a folder called Adobe Photoshop CS4 Settings (or your version of Creative Suite) Mine is in MacintoshHD>UserName (my computer’s name)>Library (NOT the System Library)>Preferences> Adobe Photoshop CS4 Settings (open this folder)

3. Here you will see a file called, “Adobe Photoshop CS4 Prefs.psp” and likely was modified “Today”

4. Delete it, or move it to desktop (elsewhere) IT IS CORRUPTED

5. Relaunch Photoshop and this file will recreate itself back to the default settings (Sorry your Recent items list will also go back to default)

6. Open the document you were working on (you saved it?)

7. Within Adobe PS go file, Photoshop>Preferences>Cursor and your OK will actually work.

By The Way:

Preferences Files are used by most applications (MS Word/Excel/PowerPoint; Adobe Illustrator/SoundBooth; Web Browsers etc.) They record your personal choices on how to interact/interface with the app. They get corrupted – they just do . . . when you delete one and relaunch, the application creates a NEW Preferences File with the default setting and the “its not changing” problem fixes itself but you will lose all your preferred settings (having to reset them all over again). Still, this is better than not being able to change things - cause that creates, “User Madness”.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2012 Feb 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT ! ! !

FIRST CHECK THAT YOUR CAPS LOCK KEY IS not on, cause - dude - if it is ON THEN THE CROSSHAIRS SHOW UP REGARDLESS OF WHAT brush PREFERENCES you set under CURSORS . . . I still like "defaulting" my preferences file once in a while but have to remember that I hit - accidentally - the CapsLock key when typing and should check that first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines