Can you please tell me the version of Reader installed on your machine. If you're not on the latest version of Adobe Reader i.e. 10.1.2. You can dowload the latest version from : http://get.adobe.com/reader/
After updating Reader check if the issue still exists.
The version of Reader I am using is 10.1.2, also known as Reader X.
I am having the same problem and have the most current version of reader 10.
With assistance from our IT department, the following solution solves the problem!
Beginning with the original document, open in Acrobat Pro. Save a copy which disables the usage rights for Reader.
Open the new file in Acrobat Pro. Enable the usage rights for Reader under the Advanced menu. Save file.
Next, open the new file in Reader X…and voila! I was able to fill-in the form and subsequently save this information!
Why you have to disable and then enable again is a mystery to me.
I fought with this for days ... this fix worked great, thanks!
Numerous of the forms I was filling out (from a government agency) consistently exhibited this issue. It drove me crazy! They were fillable forms and (in theory) could be saved and edited later. My experimentation showed that whenever I entered data in a multi-line field and then saved the file, the next time I opened the file I would get the dreaded "extended features no longer available" error message and the form would no longer be editable. I could enter data in single line fields, checkboxes, and date fields without triggering the problem. And the problem was triggered if I used Reader, Acrobat Pro, CutePDF Pro or CutePDF filler to edit and save, so I really doubt this is has anything to do with the version of Adobe reader, or the date on my computer, or any of the other suggested fixes I read sprinkled over the Internet.
Just a suggestion, if you add "restrict editing" security to the document, will that prevent this from happening?
I had the same issue and realised afterward that there was no security assigned to the document, and what probably happened is that a user used Acrobat Pro to open the document which resulted in the error.
I am having same problem with a 2011 year tax PDF fill in form I JUST got from IRS website. The actual form is the 2011 8829.
I can not open the PDF from the web browser or if I save it to my local drive.
I have not been able to open it at all ... thus I have made NO changes.
I am running Windows 7 64 bit, Adobe Reader X version 10.1.4.
After trying to open the doc (nothing displays) I go to properties, and it says ...
Title: 2011 Form 8829
PDF Producer: Adobe LiveCycle DSesigner ES 8.2.
PDF Version: 1.7 (Acrobat 8.x)
Tagged PDF: No
Fast Web View: No
What do I do to resolve this ... I only have this version of Reader ... nothing else.
Please reference the solution above that worked for my particular situation! Adobe Pro 8 and Reader X are the programs I used.
It just opened fine in my AA8 in a browser window. You may want to ask in the Reader forum since that is what you are using and not Acrobat.
Thank you SOOOOO much, this was exactly what I needed. I searched high and low for this.
Thanks! Worked for me as well.
THANK YOU, it works like a charm!
This is what solved the problem for me:
1. From Acrobat Reader, select Edit > Preferences.
2. Select Security (Enhanced) on the left pane.
3. Uncheck the Enable Protected Mode at startup box.
4. Select Yes to the prompt about being sure about making this change.
5. Click OK.
After hours of experimentation, I have come across a reliable fix for this problem. The issue can be fixed using Adobe LiveCycle Designer. Here is how to do it.
First open the problematic document in LiveCycle Designer. Then create a new blank form in LiveCycle Designer. Ensure that you set the correct 'Paper Type' in the Master Page tab of the Object palette to match that of the problematic file. Next go to the XML view of both forms. (You may need to enable this in the 'View' menu.)
Then copy absolutely all of the XML from the problematic form. Go to the new blank form and delete all of the XML completely. Then paste the copied XML into the new form. Save the form. This new form can now be reader enabled using Adobe Acrobat. The error messages will be gone.
This process can be repeated if further work is done on the form causing the error message to appear again in Adobe Acrobat Pro.
I was able to fix the "This document enabled extended features in Adobe Reader...." message in Acrobat Reader X by going to the latest update for version X. I updated from 10.0.0 to 10.1.16 and the problem resolved itself.