13 Replies Latest reply: Feb 19, 2012 10:21 AM by Jan Janowski RSS

Size of OS disc - Does anything speak against a 1TB OS-Disc opposed to a 500GB one?

Andy 2012

Dear All

Thanks to your answers here I think I was able to improve my build for cs5 editing. I chose a better PSU and a (hopefully) better case:

CPU  i7 2600k

Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V Pro

GPU Onboard, later nvidia 550 or 560

RAM 16 GB, made of 4 times DDR3 4GB/1600 CL9 Kingston KHX

HARD DRIVE (see question below)

OS Windows Premium 64 bit

Cooler Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus

PSU Corsair TX750W M Modular 80+ Bronce

Case cooler-master-cm690-ii-advanced (yes, I know it could be bigger...;-)

I know they are not the "optimum" but I think they will perform "fine", won´t you think?

(As a side note, being a complete novice to all this, I am still asking myself how is it that brands like Asus and HP sell PC´s with i7 2600 processors

in my local shopping center with small cases and no extra fans/fan openings at all, and probably really low-level PSUs - I mean, will these explode after a few weeks, or won´t they just work fine for a few years if one doesn´t overclock

and of course accepts all disadvantages that come with such a "package" opposed to a on-purpose-built PC? These have warranties, too after all. In doubt, I´ll go with the above configuration, but the thought that I could a "cheesy" i7 from the mall,

still be able to do "okay" video editing, and buy almost a Samsung Note or a budget camcorder for the difference, that thought is kind of depressing.)

Now my question regarding the OS drive: General wisdom over here has it than one should choose a "fast, smaller disc" for the OS.

Okay, so I decided NOT to use an SSD at the moment and NOT to go for some extra-speedy and more expensive expensive small drive.

I "just" wanted to use an "inexpensive" Seagate 500GB drive with 7200 rpm and 16 mb of cache.

It might not be the perfect way but it´s the way I´ve chosen for the moment. Now, I wonder if, from this perspective, the "make the OS disc small" maxime still counts here, or in other words,

i can as well take the 1 TB version of this disc and get more space for my money, even if I use it for storage or whatever - my thinking is that independently from the other discs I´ll add to my

system, I could still benefit from that extra space and the better GB per Euro-ratio.

In one sentence: Does anything speak against a 1TB OS-Disc opposed to a 500GB one?

Here are some disks I can choose from, maybe you recommend one? (don´t know how much 16mb, 32 mb or 64 mb of cache matters here)

1TB Hitachi SATA2 32MB 7200RPM

1TB Seagate SATA3 32MB 7200RPM

1TB Seagate SATA3 64MB 7200RPM

Thanks in advance and have a good day!

• 1. Re: Size of OS disc - Does anything speak against a 1TB OS-Disc opposed to a 500GB one?
          Harm Millaard Community Member

You will never use more than say 50 GB on the OS disk, unless you really mess up your system, so what is the benefit of having 900+ GB of space laying waste instead of 400+ GB?

• 2. Re: Size of OS disc - Does anything speak against a 1TB OS-Disc opposed to a 500GB one?
            J. Simon Community Member

I agree with Harm.  Ideally you don't want to be using your edit rig for anything but editing, and anything you need to store for a project should be going on a dedicated drive, not the System drive.  So a 1TB will be largely a waste of space.

• 3. Re: Size of OS disc - Does anything speak against a 1TB OS-Disc opposed to a 500GB one?
              Andy 2012 Community Member

Thanks to both of you for answering, but could you please be more specific here?

Maybe I get your sentence wrong, Harm, but do you mean that "using more than 50 GB on the OS disk" equals to "messing up my system"?

If so, in which sense would it be "messed up", and why? Would it "only" mean less speed/performance than with a multiple disc setup, or sth more serious?

I frankly have trouble to imagine that, especially considering the fact that still most PCs out there do only have one disc and on many of them you could perfectly

do some SD video editing. That´ what I intend to do for some time till I get a graphics card and more drives in order to cope with HD in an "ideal" setup.

(I actually do have an older sata-drive and will probably use it as a second disc right away, but still would like to understand what would be so terrible about using only one disc for some time.)

And apart from the actual reading/writing process during editing, what´s the trouble with data just being stored on the OS disk for whatever purpose (DVD copys, safety

copys of large files etc.) - does that really affect the way the OS is working?

• 4. Re: Size of OS disc - Does anything speak against a 1TB OS-Disc opposed to a 500GB one?
                Harm Millaard Community Member

Maybe I get your sentence wrong, Harm, but do you mean that "using more than 50 GB on the OS disk" equals to "messing up my system"?

Correct. The OS disk is for the OS & programs, nothing more. Data go on other disks. Pagefile goes on another disk. Media cache goes on another disk. Etc.

considering the fact that still most PCs out there do only have one disc

That is OK for gamers and office applications, but not for editing. For editing the absolute minimum is two disks, but to avoid slow response times, stickyness, freezing and the like, three different disks are the practical minimum.

• 5. Re: Size of OS disc - Does anything speak against a 1TB OS-Disc opposed to a 500GB one?
                  JEShort01 Community Member

Andy,

I would say it depends...

What is your plan for your "video drives / array(s)"?

For example, if you were going to have only a 2x1TB RAID 0 for all of your video work, then a 1TB (or even larger / faster 2TB or 3TB) could double-duty as your render output drive, media cache, and media cache DB drive.

However, if you have a full complement of video drives for Premiere Pro (as Jim and Harm both have), then a smaller boot drive would suffice.

Regards,

Jim

• 6. Re: Size of OS disc - Does anything speak against a 1TB OS-Disc opposed to a 500GB one?
                    J. Simon Community Member

could double-duty

A lot of things "could" work, even a single drive.  But it's far from ideal.  If you're building from scratch, better to do it right from the beginning.  That means at least three drives as a practical minimum, with little or nothing more than the OS and Programs on the System drive.

Does it have to be that way?  No.  But it is better that way.

• 7. Re: Size of OS disc - Does anything speak against a 1TB OS-Disc opposed to a 500GB one?

OK, let´s say 3 discs is the "practical minimum" for a perfect workflow. I did some (basic) SD editing a few years ago on just one disk in the past with a Celeron 2,6 ghz AMD PC from 2004 without too much trouble, which is why I would call just one disc the "absolute minimum" for being able to edit at all, and with a brand new system like the one I´m looking at here, I´ll still be curious to see how much freezing there will actually be in SD and will try it out before using that second disc I have.

Let me use a -admittedly slightly silly - car metaphor that just came to my mind (skip to next paragraph now if time´s an issue): I´m trying to build a Mercedes Benz here (and not a Formular 1 car by the way) and use it for a couple of months with crappy old worn out tyres just to drive my grandma from one side of the village to the other side with a speed of 40 km/h before I will use the car for trips on the highway, which is exactly when I will get good tyres that guarantee a safe trip at 250 km/h.You can tell me that this kind of car needs good tyres and never in the world crappy ones, or call me a fool for getting a Benz for something I could have done with a Honda, but the fact still is that I will be able to transport my granny who doesn´t care about a bump every here and now, and still has a better time than she would have had in the Honda,  and I will also be okay later on the highway trip using the good tyres. Everything´s fine, but of course only if the bad tyres don´t DAMAGE the car itself, which is why I was keen on getting an definition of "messing up my system" here. For the moment being, my conclusion is that messing up means "possible trouble with performance".

And, what about the simple storage   of data on the OS disk I mentioned? Why would the mere presence of a couple of hundred gigabyte of data on the OS disc affect my video editing which involves only the OS-related

files and video files on possible other disks (under the presumption that the OS is not completely full but still has time to breathe? If I´m really supposed to never ever use those 450 GB for anything at all, I´d really like to understand why.

• 8. Re: Size of OS disc - Does anything speak against a 1TB OS-Disc opposed to a 500GB one?

Hello Jim, well I´m not even looking Raid 0 yet untill I haven´t experienced editing of HD on this system with CS5  and feel I need it (I don´t even own an HD camera yet, but am interested in those reflex cameras that can film HD.

The situation right now is that I want to finish a project in SD during the next couple of months, buying a system that later will allow me to handle HD, too, so I just wondered if in the "meanwile" I could work with as few discs as possible and hopefully find better disc prices out there when I will turn my attention to HD etc. I have an older drive I can immediately use as a second drive but I was just curious in which way I can use the extra space on the OS drive.

• 9. Re: Size of OS disc - Does anything speak against a 1TB OS-Disc opposed to a 500GB one?

A lot of things "could" work, even a single drive.  But it's far from ideal.  If you're building from scratch, better to do it right from the beginning.  That means at least three drives as a practical minimum, with little or nothing more than the OS and Programs on the System drive.

Does it have to be that way?  No.  But it is better that way.

Fair enough, thanks!

• 10. Re: Size of OS disc - Does anything speak against a 1TB OS-Disc opposed to a 500GB one?
                            John T Smith MVP

My 3 hard drives are configured as...

1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs

2 - 320Gig data for Win7 swap file and video project files

When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,

so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folder and files

3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input & output files (*)

(*) for 4 drives, drive 3 all source files & drive 4 all output files

Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows swap file

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

• 11. Re: Size of OS disc - Does anything speak against a 1TB OS-Disc opposed to a 500GB one?
                              Jan Janowski Community Member

I usually limit my OS drive to 320Gb... That give plenty of room for OS and PGMs...

If the drive is larger, I split it to a second drive called: DOWNLOAD...   

This drive becomes the dumping ground for all downloads...  

This way, your OS Drive doesn't get filled with downloads you will forget about in 30 minutes.... Organizes your downloads in a way that you know it is not part of OS,

and in general.... makes backups of the OS less 'crap-free'.  It also makes me look more organized than I really am! !

On Laptop my drives are:

C: Boot OS

D: Optical DVD/R

E: Media

F: Download

G: External ESATA Raid0  (optional)

H: Exterenal BluRay Burner (optional)

On my Desktop (server)

C: 146Gb Boot OS (SCSI 320)

D: DVD/R

E: Media Backup SATA (Download here, too)

F: Raid 0  Media drive (SATA)

G: External BluRay Burner

H: Preview Files (SATA)

J: USBV3  (experiments being done with this... Considering using as Preview Files)

• 12. Re: Size of OS disc - Does anything speak against a 1TB OS-Disc opposed to a 500GB one?
                                John T Smith MVP

Making a STATIC partition for file storage is not bad, just do not try and use that partition for video files you will use during editing... that is worse than having a single drive for software and video files, since the one set of read/write heads not only has to jump to a new place, your OS has to keep track of a separate 'room' in the warehouse that is your hard drive

• 13. Re: Size of OS disc - Does anything speak against a 1TB OS-Disc opposed to a 500GB one?
                                  Jan Janowski Community Member

Agreed.... Download is labeled that way for that very reason.. Just to keep a convienent location for download of program  files only... which makes it easier to clean up aftereward... as opposed to on the C: drive.

Media is a different physical drive in the laptop (as well as Desktop)....

With the external Raid (Laptop) taking over these duties when it is connected.... and the internal Raid doing that on Desktop.

But since the external raid is not always availble, that's why the 2nd physical media drive.