• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash player for Mac PowerPC?

New Here ,
May 27, 2011 May 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an older Mac PowerPC running OSX 10.5.8. I never had any problems playing online games but recently it now says : "You are trying to install Adobe Flash Player on an unsupported operating system."  Apparently 10.3 is the latest but it won't run on my machine because it is NOT an Intel. I currently have 10.1.82.76 installed and I'm using Firefox.  How do I get the Flash Player to work again? Help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 27, 2011 May 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, The latest FP vs for the PPC is 10.1.102.64. Following are instructions:

Here are the instructions:

*Flash Player for PPC Macs*
Adobe's last release of Flash Player for PPC Macs was in November, 2010 with release 10.1.102.64 Subsequent releases are for Intel based Macs only. To update you should download:

Flash uninstaller: [http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/865/cpsid_86551.html#prob1=uninst,os=m10.6,] Make sure you get the right one.

Flash installer 10.1.102.64 [http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/installers/archive/fp10.1.102.64_and_9.0.289.0archive.zip] Open the archive to reveal yet more archives and multiple files. Select: flashplayer101r102_64_ubmac.dmg

To install:

1) Run Disk Utility and verify your hard drive. If the hard drive reports errors then it will need repairing first (another topic). If it verifies, run Disk Utility's repair permissions.

2) Back up your hard drive, ideally to a bootable clone. A bootable clone will allow you to restore your hard drive to its original state should something go wrong.

3) Quit all applications to ensure nothing is actively using Flash. You can even do the next step while booted to Safe Mode to make sure.

[Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode|http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107393]

[What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode? (Mac OS X)|http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564]

[Safe Boot takes longer than normal startup|http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107394]

4) Run the uninstaller application. Adobe says, "Adobe recommends that you restart your computer before you install a different version of the player."

5) Run the installer application from the .dmg file you got from the second download.

6) Use Disk Utility to repair permissions on your computer. this is important when installing anything from Adobe.

7) Restart your computer.

This info came from the Apple Forum.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2011 Jun 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eidnolb's post is still the "right" answer as far as I know, I'm just adding links here for posterity (because this link keeps coming up in Google searches).

Third-party confirmation that 10.2 (Initial release Feb. 2011?) was the first release to stop supporting PPC: http://lowendmac.com/ed/bashur/11db/powerpc-flash-support.html

Adobe's archived Flash versions page: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html#main_Archived_versions

According to that archived page, 10.1.102.64 is indeed the last version that supports PPC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 21, 2011 Jun 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi josh.butcher, I appreciate your support. It would have been helpful had cliffdog40 had replied back and had said that the instructions worked for them. Marking the thread as answered would help others that still use the PPC, which are more than one would think. I just finished another thread yesterday, which was a little more complicated but it was on the PPC:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3752188#3752188

I did bring up Google and only found one Adobe Forum link for the PPC and it wasn't the best in my opinion.

The other link was interesting, thanks. I do think that Apple made the decision on the PPC support:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10260972-37.html

Like Technology itself, always moves forward:-) Same with XP, it is getting left behind also, although MS is providing support thru April/2014. Regarding the PPC, my understanding is that there is no support from Apple, just the Safari browser updates.

I don't use Mac, but try to keep up with Apple since we have many users that post to the Flash Player Forum.

Thanks for you input,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2011 Aug 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to thank eidnolb for the great detail instructions for installing the appropriate Flash Player for my iMac G5 PowerPC using OS X 10.4.11.  I had experienced many problems with getting any version Flash Player to install after it had stopped working several weeks ago.  I followed the instructions step by step and now I am up and running again.  The only deviation I made was when the link for the Flash installer came up with an error message indicating that the 10.1.102.64 was not available at that site.  I just went to the archived versions of Flash Player and found the same version listed and was able to install it from there.  I did not install using the safe mode and everything worked fine.  Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your instructions, because without them I would still be totally frustrated.

akmac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2011 Oct 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eidnolb, you are the greatest. You saved my life with the above intsructions. I can now view videos again even using Tenfourfox which I found to be a better and faster browser for my Mac than Firefox itself. Although I by-passed the safe mode part everything works great. I am on an iMAC G4 PowerPc 20" flat panel running Leopard 10.5.8 and 1.25 GB of memory. How much longer do you think we will be able to use these features without being forced to go to an intel proccesor? Thank you again for your help. No longer frustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 23, 2011 Nov 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eidnolb's link was dead but I guess I've found the latest installer here http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html > scroll to Flash Player 10.1.102.64 and 9.0.289.0

+ this is useful too http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/909/cpsid_90906.html (to first uninstall before reinstall).  And I'm adding a few words for search engines to find eidnolb's solution : Flash for Apple iBook G4 PPC running 10.4.11 in Firefox 3.6.24 or Safari 4.1.3 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 28, 2011 May 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About the time Flash Player hits 10.6, it's going to be next to impossible to view flash content with 10.1 and sadly, your PPC Mac will become obsolete for web content made with Flash for 10.6. I was a PPC user for eight years, but there is no avoiding it; sooner or later you'll have to bid farewell to that PowerPC and get an Intel Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2011 Jun 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@I_Know_Nothing_at_all: Your stated opinion, while true, does nothing to address the original poster's question. It's applicability is somewhat questionable too (who said anything about Flash 10.6? I'm assuming that you don't mean Mac OS X 10.6, as that was released in 2009.)

Paraphrasing Wheaton's Law: Don't be a jerk, man.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2011 Dec 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So your solution is to take a perfectly good PowerPC computer and let it rot in a landfill because the people at Adobe are refusing to support it?  That's a horrible solution.  I can't think of a worse way to run a society.  My powerPC is perfectly good.  It does everything it needs to do.  I use it for music composing and editing.  I don't have thousands of dollars and weeks of time to replace it.  But more importantly, even if i did i'd rather spend it on something more productive. It's truly pitiful that our society has come to this.  I greatly despise anyone who thinks this is how we should run our world, building endless supply of stuff that becomes useless after just a few years.  My powerPC is absolutely fine.  The only problem with it is Adobe.  They're the ones that are breaking it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2011 Dec 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found a solution that has helped me. Will explain shortly.

Vincent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2012 Jan 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well Vinny it's been 2 weeks , please tell us

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2012 Jan 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am not Vinny, so I don't know what you would like to know. I had posted a question about using flash player myself so not sure that I could help you.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anxiously waiting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I got this email, but am not sure why. I had posted a question about using flash player several months ago, so I'm not sure I could help you. Good luck.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2012 Jan 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob everyone who has posted here gets a email when someone else comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2012 Jan 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the heads up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2012 Feb 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your on a mac 10.5.8 PPC and you want your Flash Player to work in Safari. Uninstall flash player, restart your mac ( Very important it clears buffer), then install Flash Player 10.1.85.3, this version only, any other 10.1 version will get stuck in buffer mode. Will not work.

http://download.cnet.com/Adobe-Flash-Player/3000-2378_4-11594621.html

You can find it in Archives at Flash Player web site. All the best!

Sincerely;

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2012 Feb 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried exactly what you wrote myadobe22 but, sadly it didn't help  On facebook it still won't open any links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2012 Feb 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will not work on facebook. Download the browser "TenfourFox" it is designed for

Mac PowerPc's that does not have intel. Although it may not open any links on

facebook.......but you can go directly to the link such as youtube and it will

open music videos, etc.... Hope this helps!!!!

Vincent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PJM361;

This post was for getting the music player in Mysace to work. Yes

your right, they updated facebook and the video's no longer work for

flash Player 10.1. But if you use Safari, you can highlight the script,

go to youtube, paste it in, and the video's will play. All the best.

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks myadobe22,  I usually right click & open in a new window. But now I've had problems on websites where I can't watch videos at all. If you have a PPC could you try the video on this webpage Lotus Cars - Lotus Esprit & let me know if it worked for you. I get a dim message "click here to install Flash Player"

Thanks again.

ps I'm not sure what you are referring to about the music player in myspace, maybe you meant to answer a different post

Message was edited by: PJM361

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PMJ361;

Just tried it with Camino to, it loads but won't play. If I can find

a solution I'll let you know.

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark & everybody else, I found this fix on youtube, I tested the above page Lotus Cars - Lotus Esprit and on facebook & it worked. Go to   Flash Player fix for Mac PPC - YouTube then click where it says "Show more" below the video & click on the link or click here to download http://www.steelbin.com/FPforFBPPC.zip

Vincent, that Tenfourfox maybe fast but, won't let any plugins work with their browser.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2012 Feb 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a way around the plug in situation on TenfourFox. I will have to look

back at my notes to see what i did and get back with you. I find Safari to be

somewhat slow on my PPC. Thanks

Vincent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines