• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

break apart in illustrator?

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2009 Jan 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any option in illustrator like corel's "break apart" to seperate a text into words or letters?
How can we do it in illustrator?
Thanks..

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change the text so that it is no longer text, but there is no easy way to chop up text into seperate units or words.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this Script, it makes the trick:

http://www.wundes.com/JS4AI/displayFilesWTemplate.pl#divideTextFrame.js

Once downloaded, place the script in the Adobe Illustrator CSX/Presets/Scripts folder. Once copied to this location, the script will appear in the scripts submenu. In Illustrator, go File > Scripts to find your script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found the way..using "flatten transparency" command in "object".Thanks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2012 Apr 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Flatten Transparency command works well as long as there are no ligatures in the text. Otherwise, any line of text with a ligature will be outlined. With your text block selected, view the OpenType panel and deselect the first button that looks like "fi" to turn off ligatures. Then, after you have run the Flatten Transparency command to break up the text into point type (make sure to deselect Convert All Text to Outlines), you can select the text to turn ligatures back on.

OpenType.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I used to copy and paste line by line, your method is saving me a lot of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Murat. That was exactly what I was looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to set the Raster/Vector Balance to 100% vectors for it to work, and it separated the letters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 28, 2009 Jan 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess I was way wrong. Nice find Murat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 22, 2011 Jan 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About the closest you can get in Illie is Copy from a block of text, Escape (to deselect the text box) and Paste. This gives you point text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2011 Mar 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

on the tools panel, beneath the main selection tool click on the direct selection tool and (if you hold the mouse down and the drop list of tools show) select the group selection tool. and then select the letter that you want to move and drag it or transform it or whatever. hope this helps.

http://etutorials.org/shared/images/tutorials/tutorial_42/54084xfg0601.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2011 Mar 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry but this doesn't work in illustrator CS4. and anyway.. how can u "select" a single charachter within a word with a "group selection tool" ? sounds logically wrng in d 1st place sir...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2011 Mar 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here's a script that breaks text Frames into separate characters

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3510986#3510986

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2012 Feb 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow I've never seen such a list of overly complicated wrong answers to a really simple question. this thread is really old but if anyone goes searching for the answer to this like I did (I've done it before and just couldn't remember since I dont use it often).  I'm working on CS3 so idk if it works for all versions but,

1.  Select the text you want to break apart and add vertexes to.

2.  Right click on that text and from the dropdown

3.  Select  ' Create Outlines'

4.  Selec the object again

5.  From the Object menu hit ungroup

Viola, you can now manipulate your text however you like to your little heart desires.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never seen such a list of overly complicated wrong answers

Especially yours. Outlined text isn't text any more. Sorry to disappoint you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

add vertexes to.

What?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vertex (Latin: peak; plural vertices or vertexes)

I still wouldn't know how to add them though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2012 Feb 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just my point, so to speak.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter, it was ment to be joke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CarlosCanto wrote:

Hi Peter, it was ment to be joke

I know, Carlos, so was mine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2015 Sep 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you lightboxhero‌!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Acrobat plug-in Pitstop can do this. Open your AI file in Acrobat and use Pitstop to split your text into words or characters. When you re-open your file in AI you will get the message "This document has been modified outside Adobe Illustrator: Discard changes..., or Keep changes, reducing Illustrator editing capabilities" Select keep changes, If you have a simple text file, this method works well, I would use caution with more complex files. Also, Pitstop is expensive.Screen shot 2012-02-20 at 8.41.06 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Luke, my script does the same....and it is free!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't realize your script could separate text into words as well as characters, that would certainly be the best choice for anyone without Pitstop. Best wishes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2015 Apr 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best way-

1. select the type with your selector tool
  2. click on TYPE at the top of your screen
  3. click create outline

that will turn the entire thing into a factor shape that you can now adjust with your pen tool or what ever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines