• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Compiled file size ballooned , WinHelp, RoboHelp 9

Participant ,
Feb 13, 2012 Feb 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I notice that the compiled .hlp files are now 2-4 times larger than when they where compiled with RH8..

We distribute on CD's and this is causing a major headache.

Anyone tried going back from RH9 to RH8?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 20, 2012 Feb 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I verified this scenario with few RHW projects and found that WinHelp file size is not ballooning up. Please see the details below of verification environment.

1)      OS:- WIN7 32 bit.

2)      MS Word version:- Office 2007.

3)      RHW versions:- RH8 and RH 9.

4)      Help file generated:- WinHelp 4 and WinHelp2000 format.

Please check for your working environment as this issue might be specific to some OS/MS Office version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 20, 2012 Feb 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response.

My environment is as you listed except I am now using a 64-bit Win 7 machine running RH9 instead of the former 32-bit Vista running RH8

So three things changed at once - the hardware, the OS and the RH version. One or all of these may explain it.

It turns out that running out of space on the distribution CD has forced us to rethink the CD approach and realize it would be much smarter to distribute over the web, We should have figured that out years ago!

As they say -  It's an ill wind that blows no good.....

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2012 Feb 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David

Given that you will be generating WebHelp for RoboHelp for Word, do check that the content works in the main browsers, not just IE. I am not saying it will not, just check it does.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point Peter - thanks.

Actually we are creating WebHelp in RH HTML Help. The HTML approach lets us incorporate some special features that would not work well generating frorn RH for Word

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are further forward than I thought. Good news.

Given that your content is a convert from RoboHelp for Word though, I would still recommend checking in the main browsers, unless you can dictate what browser is to be used.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp