Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Chaining select lists

Participant ,
Feb 20, 2012 Feb 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I try to create two dynamic  depending  selectlists whereas the second select list depends on the choose of the first list.

Both lists are populated by a database query.

Here is a simple example:

First list: Usergroups

<cfselect name="usergroups" >

<cflloop query="select_usergroup">

<option value="id">#usergroup_name#

</cfselect>

Second list: Users

<cfselect name="users" >

<cflloop query="select_user">

<option value="id">#user_name#

</cfselect>

When selecting a usergroup in  the first list, the query of the second list runs in dependence of the value of first list.

Is there a possibility to solve this problem without using Url-parameter? I have a big formular with many form-fields and I assume that this method is not very fast.

I also try to use data binding, but then I have a problem preselecting values in the lists.

Environment: Oracle 11g, ColdFusion 9 Standard

Any idea?

regards Claudia

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Example 2 in the Livedocs on cfselect is a fully worked-out example. It consists of 3 files:  a CFC (BinFons.cfc) and an XML file(states.xml) and a CFM page containing the form and cfselect tags(call it, say, formPage.cfm). All you have to do is place the files in the same directory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know this example and it works very well.

But how to preselect values in the selectboxes when loading the page for the first time?

I get the values from a database query and have to set this values as selected in the selectboxes.

Documentation said that "selected" attribute applies only if selection list items are generated from a query.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

biene22 wrote:

Yes, I know this example and it works very well.

But how to preselect values in the selectboxes when loading the page for the first time?

I get the values from a database query and have to set this values as selected in the selectboxes.

Documentation said that "selected" attribute applies only if selection list items are generated from a query.

What is the problem then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I try to make my problem more clearly by enhancing the example:

I have a customer formular which I open with the  customer_id(as url parameter). In the database is a table

where customer_id, state and city is saved.

State and city are selectboxes. When I open the formular the selectbox should have selected the values saved

in the customer table.

<cfquery name="customer" datasource="test">

select customer_id,state,city

from customers

where customer_id = #url.cust_id#

</cfquery>

<cfselect name="state" bind="cfc:bindFcns.getstates()" bindonload="true">

<option name="0">--state--</option>

</cfselect>

<cfselect name="city" bind="cfc:bindFcns.getcities({state})">

<option name="0">--city--</option>

</cfselect>

How I get the values customer.state and customer.city as selected in the listboxes?

I don't want to have <option name="0"> as selected values when opening the formular with a given customer_id.

I want to have for example state="California" and city="Beverly Hills" as selected values.

In my opinion it is only possible to preselect values when populating the listoxes using queries, but here the listbox is filled by bindings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2012 Feb 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

biene22 wrote:

Okay, I try to make my problem more clearly by enhancing the example:

I have a customer formular which I open with the  customer_id(as url parameter). In the database is a table

where customer_id, state and city is saved.

State and city are selectboxes. When I open the formular the selectbox should have selected the values saved

in the customer table.

<cfquery name="customer" datasource="test">

select customer_id,state,city

from customers

where customer_id = #url.cust_id#

</cfquery>

How I get the values customer.state and customer.city as selected in the listboxes?

The value url.cust_id appears to be the only choice to make. The query then tells you the customer, his state and his city. There are no more unknowns and, therefore, no need for lists.

You could simply do something with text fields, like this:

<cfparam name="url.cust_id" default="1234">

<cfquery name="customerDetails" datasource="test">

select custName,state,city

from customers

where customer_id = <cfqueryparam cfsqltype="cf_sql_integer" value="#url.cust_id#">

</cfquery>

<cfform name="customerForm">

Customer: <cfinput  type="text" name="customerName" value="#customerDetails.custName#"> <br>

State: <cfinput  type="text" name="state" value="#customerDetails.state#"> <br>

City: <cfinput  type="text" name="city" value="#customerDetails.city#"> <br>

<cfinput name="sbmt" type="submit" value="Send">

</cfform>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 21, 2012 Feb 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want to have simple cfinput fields, I want selectboxes because it must be possible to change the

values of state and city. And therefore I need this chaining listboxes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2012 Feb 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

biene22 wrote:

I don't want to have simple cfinput fields, I want selectboxes because it must be possible to change the

values of state and city. And therefore I need this chaining listboxes.

OK. I have a worked-out example that uses the database cfdocexamples. This database ships with ColdFusion, and comes installed as a datasource. It means you can run the example directly, without having to install anything.

The example illustrates the chaining you talk about. It supposes that you know the location, and that it is passed by URL. You wish that the page give you the departments in that location. When you click on the department, you want to get the list of employees in the department.

My database engine is MySQL. If yours is different, then you may have to slightly adapt some of my SQL statements. Place the 2 files in the same directory.

selectEmployee.cfm

<!--- The location is expected to come in as a URL parameter. The bind requires it when the page loads, so a default location, San Francisco, is set. --->

<cfparam name="url.location" default="San Francisco">

<cfform name="empForm">

<cfinput name="loc" type="hidden" value="#url.location#" >

Department: <cfselect  name="dept" bind="cfc:Employee.getDepartments({loc})" bindonload="true"></cfselect>

<br>

Employee: <cfselect  name="emp" bind="cfc:Employee.getEmployees({dept})"></cfselect>

<br><br>

<cfinput name="sbmt" type="submit" value="Submit">

</cfform>

<div>

Form:

<cfdump var="#form#">

</div>

Employee.cfc

<cfcomponent>

<cffunction name="getDepartments" access="remote" output="false" returntype="array">

<cfargument name="location" type="string" required="true">

<cfset var departments = queryNew("","")>

<cfset var arr = arrayNew(2)>

<cfquery name = "departments" dataSource = "cfdocexamples">

SELECT department

FROM employees

WHERE location = <cfqueryparam cfsqltype="cf_sql_varchar" value="#arguments.location#">

</cfquery>

<cfset arr[1][1]="">

<cfset arr[1][2]="Select department">

<cfloop query="departments">

<cfset arr[currentrow+1][1]=department><!---option values in the select list--->

<cfset arr[currentrow+1][2]=department><!---displayed values in the select list --->

</cfloop>

<!--- Alternative, if you require no "Select department" option --->

<!--- <cfloop query="departments">

<cfset arr[currentrow][1]=department><!---option values in the select list--->

<cfset arr[currentrow][2]=department><!---displayed values in the select list --->

</cfloop> --->

<cfreturn arr>

</cffunction>

<cffunction name="getEmployees" access="remote" output="false" returntype="any">

<cfargument name="dept" type="string" required="true">

<cfset var employees = queryNew("","")>

<cfquery name = "employees" dataSource = "cfdocexamples">

SELECT Emp_ID,  FirstName || ' ' || LastName as Name

FROM Employees

WHERE department = <cfqueryparam cfsqltype="cf_sql_varchar" value="#arguments.dept#">

</cfquery>

<cfset arr[1][1]="">

<cfset arr[1][2]="Select employee">

<cfloop query="employees">

<cfset arr[currentrow+1][1]=emp_id><!---option values in the select list--->

<cfset arr[currentrow+1][2]=name><!---displayed values in the select list --->

</cfloop>

<!--- Alternative, if you require no "Select employee" option --->

<!--- <cfloop query="employees">

<cfset arr[currentrow][1]=emp_id><!---option values in the select list--->

<cfset arr[currentrow][2]=name><!---displayed values in the select list --->

</cfloop> --->

<cfreturn arr>

</cffunction>

</cfcomponent>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 29, 2012 Feb 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this example. It works fine, but my problem is:

how can I open selectEmployee.cfm and set for example department "Sales" as selected in

<cfselect  name="dept" bind="cfc:Employee.getDepartments({loc})" bindonload="true"></cfselect>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

biene22 wrote:

Thanks for this example. It works fine, but my problem is:

how can I open selectEmployee.cfm and set for example department "Sales" as selected in

<cfselect  name="dept" bind="cfc:Employee.getDepartments({loc})" bindonload="true"></cfselect>

I don't understand what you mean by "open selectEmployee.cfm". Could you please explain?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I run selectEmployee.cfm in browser

and set for example department "Sales" as selected in

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

biene22 wrote:

How can I run selectEmployee.cfm in browser

and set for example department "Sales" as selected in

Ah, I see. I hope you understand that, in the example I gave, the argument in getDepartment is the location, not the department. However, you can easily modify the code to use department in place of location.

The first statement in selectEmployee.cfm tells you how to open the page. The URL scope means you should do it, for example, like this:

http://127.0.0.1:8500/bindTest/selectEmployee.cfm?location=Newton

(Remember that the path might be different on your own server.) Here, I have used the location Newton to override the default of San Francisco.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2012 Mar 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you succeed in opening the CFM page the way I suggested? There are alternatives, of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 05, 2012 Mar 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I think you don't understand me yet .

I try it again:

When you run selectEmployee.cfm  for the first time no values are selected in both selectlists. They show "Select department" .

But I want to to have for example value "Sales" selected in first select list and "Peter Jacobson" in second select list.

I get this values from a query not from an url-parameter . The query looks like this:

<cfquery name = "select_user" dataSource = "cfdocexamples">

SELECT * from employees where emp_id = #url.emp_id#

</cfquery>

Imagine url.emp_id = 7 then the result of this query is : department="Sales" . And this values should be selected in first selectlist

and value=7 ("Peter Jacobson") should be selected in the second select list

<cfselect  name="emp" bind="cfc:Employee.getEmployees({dept})"></cfselect>.

This all should happen when you run the page selectEmployee.cfm for the first time.

And now when changing value of selectlist "dept" values of second selectlist should be changed (using binding).

So the very simple question is: How to use bindings and additionally set the "selected attribute" like this:

<cfselect  name="emp" bind="cfc:Employee.getEmployees({dept})" selected="#select_user.department#"></cfselect>

It is clear to me that this example make no sense in technical respect. But it's only an example!

Thanks in advance for your patience!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you mean. I could also see a few minor errors, which the following suggestion corrects.

selectEmployee.cfm

<!--- The employee ID (emp_id) is expected to come in as a URL parameter. The bind requires it when the page loads, so a default emp_id of 7 is set. --->

<cfparam name="url.emp_id" default="7">

SELECT department, FirstName || ' ' || LastName as emp_name

FROM employees

WHERE emp_id = #url.emp_id#

</cfquery>

<cfform name="empForm">

Department: <cfselect  name="dept" bind="cfc:Employee.getDepartments()" bindonload="true" selected="#select_user.department#"></cfselect>

<br>

Employee: <cfselect  name="emp" bind="cfc:Employee.getEmployees()" bindonload="true" selected="#select_user.emp_name#"></cfselect>

<br><br>

</cfform>

Employee.cfc

<cfcomponent>

<cffunction name="getDepartments" access="remote" output="false" returntype="array">

<cfquery name = "getDept" dataSource = "cfdocexamples">

SELECT distinct(department)

FROM employees

</cfquery>

<cfloop query="getDept">

<cfset arr[currentrow][2]=department><!---displayed values in the select list --->

</cfloop>

<cfreturn arr>

</cffunction>

<cffunction name="getEmployees" access="remote" output="false" returntype="any">

SELECT emp_id,  FirstName || ' ' || LastName as Name

FROM Employees

</cfquery>

<cfset arr[currentrow][2]=name><!---displayed values in the select list --->

</cfloop>

<cfreturn arr>

</cffunction>

</cfcomponent>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now values are selected, but binding doesn't work anymore.

I think it's hopeless

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by 'binding doesn't work anymore'. If you get the select lists, then binding is working.

I've just run a quick test. It works, at least on my system. What's your ColdFusion version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I change  the department, values of selectlist "employee" are always the same. They does not depend on the selected value of department.

I use ColdFusion 9 Standard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

biene22 wrote:

When I change  the department, values of selectlist "employee" are always the same. They does not depend on the selected value of department.

ColdFusion 9 is as up to date as you can be. You could have experimented a bit with the above code. Binding to department is just a minor variation. For example,

selectEmployee.cfm

<!--- The employee ID (emp_id) is expected to come in as a URL parameter. The bind requires it when the page loads, so a default emp_id, 7, is set. --->

<cfparam name="url.emp_id" default="6">

SELECT department, FirstName || ' ' || LastName as emp_name

FROM employees

WHERE emp_id = #url.emp_id#

</cfquery>

<cfform name="empForm">

Department: <cfselect  name="dept" bind="cfc:Employee.getDepartments()" bindonload="true" selected="#select_user.department#"></cfselect>

<br>

Employee:   <cfselect  name="employee" bind="cfc:Employee.getEmployees({dept})" bindonload="true" selected="#select_user.emp_name#" ></cfselect>

<br><br>

</cfform>

Employee.cfc

<cfcomponent>

<cfquery name = "getDept" dataSource = "cfdocexamples">

SELECT distinct(department)

FROM employees

</cfquery>

<cfloop query="getDept">

</cfloop>

<cfreturn arr>

</cffunction>

<cfargument name="dept" type="string" required="true">

SELECT emp_id,  FirstName || ' ' || LastName as emp_name

FROM Employees

WHERE department = <cfqueryparam cfsqltype="cf_sql_varchar" value="#arguments.dept#">

</cfquery>

<cfset arr[currentrow][2]=emp_name><!---displayed values in the select list --->

</cfloop>

<cfreturn arr>

</cffunction>

</cfcomponent>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So long as we understand that what we now have is experimental. It goes against the whole point of binding, which is to enable you to separate business code (like queries) from presentation code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation