1 2 Previous Next 55 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2012 11:11 PM by creazer RSS

Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence

creazer Community Member

Hi. I'm editing with Premiere. I'm using an intensity pro card(blackmagic design) with
      Q4000 Nvidia Graphics card. It keeps crashing on me. More so with the HDV footage I'm editing.
      I have included my computer specs as well as media info of my source footage and the sequence settings.

Any help with this would be much appreciated!!!

Media info HDV.jpg

MS info.jpg

sequence setting.jpg

• 1. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
          ECBowen CommunityMVP

What Nvidia driver version do you have installed?

Do you have any 3rd party players or transcoders installed?

What Blackmagic Driver do you have installed?

Create a new project and then sequence using one of the Adobe AVCHD Presets. Import the HDV sequence into the new project. Switch the MPE engine from hardware to software and delete the preview files. Then Switch the MPE engine back  to hardware and delete the preview files again. Save the project and close. Open Adobe again and launch the project. See if it crashes at that point.

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
            creazer Community Member

Hi Eric,

I did have 3rd party players installed, and I've deleted them now. It seems to be working a little better. It's still not as fast though. I've checked the drivers for blackmagic and they're the latest 9.1.

I went to device manager and right cllicked the nvidia card and clicked update driver and a message came up saying my nvidia card is up to date.

I will try doing the other suggestions you said and get back to you.

Thanks Eric.

• 3. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
              creazer Community Member

I also have the quicktime pro installed on my computer

• 4. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                creazer Community Member

hi Eric,

Ok so I did the suggestions you talked about and YES they seemed to work much better. Then straight after that I started to capture some HDV footage through the firewire which has nothing to do with the Blackmagic card and the computer started blue screening a number of times. So I called the guy who built the computer, and he suggested that it could be because he overclocked my machine. So he came and made the settings normal. Does this sound right to you. Do you think the issues are related? After he came and changed the settings, the capture is fine now.

• 5. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                  ECBowen CommunityMVP

Yes the overclocking could definitely do that if it was unstable. Keep in mind that CS5.5 has a bug with Anamorphic sequences. Any anamorphic sequences such as HDV will not activate the hardware MPE on playback. Just select a Non anamorphic preset instead such as the AVCHD presets that are 1920x1080 and drop the HDV material into them.

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                    creazer Community Member

Thank you very much Eric.

That was very helpful. It has certainly solved a lot of things for me.

• 7. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                      Islanders66 Community Member

I didn't notice any problems with HDV. Everything seemed pretty snappy although maybe HDV is such a light codec that I didn't notice any performace issue? Media Encoder used all 6 cores at 100%. Just wondering if it isn't something to with your graphics card?

I sold my HDV and will be using AVCHD, so finally get to make this computer break a sweat.

• 8. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                        creazer Community Member

Thanks for your reply. It's taken me time to get back to you because I'm having some pretty serious issues now. Premiere keeps crashing and my system blue screens at times. Would anyone have some suggestions as to what I should do? It could happen when I'm editing HDV or DSLR. I will say that it even crashes on sequences that I was editing on before that were fine before. My  IT guy came in and added a software which makes my memory run faster. The problems happened after he tweaked a few settings, however, I'll say that there were other problems happening before he came in to make the changes.

I did what Eric had asked me to do, and things were much better, but then problems started happening again, such as premiere crashing and not runnig smoothly along the timeline. I can't tell you any specifics because It would happen at different times and while I was doing different things and working in different projects. Any suggestions would be great.

This computer is newly built. I had all the software and third party plug ins on an external hard drive ready for installation. When installing, it would ask me to restart, but I held off restarting until all the software was finished being installed. Do you think this has something to do with what's going on?

• 9. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                          ECBowen CommunityMVP

The issue with Anamorphic was tested on several systems and was not tied to any specific graphics card.

Eric

ADK

• 10. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                            ECBowen CommunityMVP

The first troubleshooting point would be the Ram especially since that was recently changed. You would need to find out what specifically was changed by the tech who configured the ram. Also I would memtest the unit in it's current state with memtest.org and see if errors are showing up. If the ram settings/latency or voltages are set incorrectly then that would cause this kind of instability.

Eric

ADK

• 11. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                              Diane Borgard Community Member

I've been having a similar problem and think I found a solution. I've been trying to edit video created with Blackmagic codec, but I don't have any blackmagic hardware myself. The company that created the video also gave me the most up to date drivers to install in order for me to access the codec. But Premiere Pro CS5.5 is constantly crashing when I try to edit the videos. I found this forum in my search for an answer.

I also learned that Premiere Pro's latest update, CS5.5.2 from November 2011 was supposed to specifically fix the crashes with 3rd party plugins.  I figured that if it had been fixed in November, maybe an older driver from Blackmagic would work. I uninstalled the current Blackmagic software, then downloaded & installed an archived version dated October 2011 (From Blackmagic's support page).  The crashes seems to have stopped.

Knock on wood.

Diane

• 12. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                                creazer Community Member

Thank you Diane and Eric for your help.

I will definitely be looking into what you both suggested. Just to let you know. Yesterday, while I was rendering a sequence, it blue screened on me around 5 times. Then my IT guy came in, and made the memory back to normal again and then it was working ok. It exported the same sequence without blue screening. Then today, I rendered two more different sequences. It rendered them out perfectly. After the rendering had finished, premiere was closed, just Media encoder was open but not rendering anything. As I was looking through windows explorer, my computer blue screened on me again. Does this sound like the same issue you could be talking about or something different?

I will continue to do what you suggested.

• 13. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                                  ECBowen CommunityMVP

Have you run Memtest yet?

Eric

ADK

• 14. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                                    creazer Community Member

Hi Eric,

I'm waiting for my IT guy to come and he will be doing the Memory test.

• 15. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                                      creazer Community Member

My IT guy did a memory test and he said the memory is fine.

After some consideration and testing, the IT guy suggested it could be the different sound cards in my computer that are conflicting. So he turned them all off except one. The crashes seemed to have stopped.

I haven't tried what Diane suggested, because before we added the blackmagic drivers, the computer -blue screened again, so we pretty much eliminated it being the blackmagic card.

I will definitely update this post either way.

• 16. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                                        ECBowen CommunityMVP

What sound cards do you have?

Eric

ADK

• 17. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                                          creazer Community Member

I'm using Nvidia Q4000

My motherboard's sound and Blackmagics. I'm not too spec savvy but I'm pretty sure that's what my IT guy mentioned. I will double check with him in the morning anyway and make sure that's the corect information.

• 18. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                                            creazer Community Member

Ok. I was rendering overnight, and my computer crashed on me. It happened while it was exporting a HDV file into mpeg. It gets so frustrating. I wiped my whole c drive and reinstalled everything again.

• 19. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                                              creazer Community Member

One thing I have noticed different with this computer even before this reinstall, is that  whenever I press alt, control, delete, the sreen goes black for a few seconds, and even when it's  about to install a new software, and just before the warning sign comes up where it asks me if I want to allow the software to make changes to my computer, the screen goes black also. For a few seconds. My IT guy says not to worry about it but I feel it's strange because my old computer was much quicker at bringing up those screens.

Would you have anymore suggestions I could try. I'm still waiting on the it guy to get back to me on what sound cards I have in my system.

• 20. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                                                creazer Community Member

I can't get through to my IT guy til this afternoon, so I went and got all the reciepts. So here are all the specs and Hardware that's in my computer:

Leadtek PCI-E Quadro 4000 2GB DDR5

Lite on IHBS212 Blue Ray writer

ASRock X79 Extreme 4 LGA2011 X79 DDR3 USB3 Motherboard

Corsair HX-750 ATX Power Supply Unit

Thermaltake Armor+ Full Tower Without PSU

2 G.Skill Ripjaws-X 8G Kit (4Gx2) DDR3 2133 F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL

Hitachi 3.5" Desktop 1TB SATA3 HDD 7200rpm

Seagate 3.5" Barracuda Green 2TB ST2000DL003 SATA3 %())RPM 64M HDD

CPU-I7-3930K  Intel I7 3.2Ghz, LGA2011, 12M

Corsair CWCH60 H60 Universal Hydro High Performance CPU cooler

TP-LINK TL-WN821N USB 2T2R Upto 300M Wireless-N Network Adapter

Blackmagic Decklink Intensity Pro

I hope this information helps

• 21. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                                                  creazer Community Member

By the way when it crashed last night, I had my screen saver on. I don't know if that had anything to do with it. I've turned it off now.

• 22. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                                                    creazer Community Member

Ok. So here's un update. I exported the same file it crashed on last night and everything seems to be ok. It exported without crashing and I'm halfway through exporting another file. Can this happen as a one off thing, or is this something I need to start looking into even more?

• 23. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                                                      creazer Community Member

Ok. Premiere crashed on me twice and then I saw the blue screen of death. It's driving me nuts and I have no idea what I should do next. I have listed all my hardware. Is there anything else I should include so that it may help detecting the problem easier?

• 24. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                                                        Harm Millaard Community Member

BSOD is almost always a hardware problem. Since you do not appear to have the technical expertise to solve this yourself, you have to rely on your IT guy. As a first step, I would remove BM completely and try to replicate the BSOD. Also carefully check all the BIOS settings for anything that does not belong on an editing station, like hibernation, power saving, etc.

BTW, what a waste of such a powerful CPU with such a lousy disk setup and the limited memory. It is a lob-sided system IMO. Like a Formula 1 race car, but with the gearbox of a 30-year old Beetle.

• 25. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                                                          Bill Gehrke CommunityMVP

Do you have a way to monitor your CPU core temperatures while exporting?  Maybe your H60 is not doing its job properly under the stress of high CPU usage.

• 26. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                                                            ECBowen CommunityMVP

This really sounds like the ram and bios settings are not correct. I know the ram tested ok but this error is to inconsistent to be a software or HDD issue unless the MFT is corrupting. I would really have the IT person go through the bios settings and change a few such as the the VCCSA voltage. Set that to manual and make sure it's 1.15v to 1.25v. What speed and voltage do you have the ram set to?

Eric

ADK

• 27. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                                                              creazer Community Member

Thank you for the feedback. I'm going through this information with my IT guy.

Harm, what disc setup would you say I put into my system? I would like to say that I saw the BSOD before I installed the BM drivers. Do you still think I should take out the BM Hardware?

I will definitely get him to go through what each of you are talking about and get back to you ASAP

• 28. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                                                                Harm Millaard Community Member

I checked your PSU based on your list of components and it gave me these results:

22-2-2012 11-37-56.jpg

These figures are without any safety margin. I usually advise to add around 10% for safety. If I look at your PSU, it shows these data:

22-2-2012 11-42-48.jpg

This tells me that your +5V rail may be a weak point because of the lacking amperage with this PSU and worth checking. Your system needs a combined wattage of nearly 190 W but delivers only 150 W on the +3.3 and +5V rails. This also shows that it will be hard to make this a more balanced system with better disk I/O, because the wattage is just not enough to add a dedicated raid controller and some more disks. I would not be surprised if the PSU is the culprit here, but let your IT guy check this out. And let him carefully check the temps of CPU, mobo and GPU, both idle and under load.

A good disk setup for a balanced system with such a powerful CPU would be something like described in the 'Warrior' system here: Adobe Forums: What PC to build? An update...

• 29. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                                                                  creazer Community Member

Thank you for the helpful suggestions. I have been going over the answers with my it guy and he says that psi is fine. Just the other day, he lowered the speed of the memory and that seems to have stabilised the system. I'll be editing with it for the next few days and will let you know how it goes! So far so good. :-)

• 30. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                                                                    creazer Community Member

I will be getting the disc setup changed. At the moment it's raid 0 so I'll change it to what you suggested. I don't understand fully the hardware stuff, but will get my it guy to look into it.

• 31. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                                                                      JEShort01 Community Member

Saad,

I would suggest that you change your RAM; G. Skill is great RAM, but if you go to G. Skill's web site the sticks that you are using are NOT among the 10 models of RAM that they manufacture AND recommend for your motherboard. Check out the RAM Configurator at www.gskill.com.

I came to look this up when you said your builder "lowered" the speed of the RAM and it is working better (that sounds strange indeed). Also, on another thread here, the ever so knowledgeable Eric (from ADK) has mentioned that the new X79's are very sensitive to RAM.

Finally, if you "builder" selected this RAM choice for you, I would expect him or her to make good on selecting a model approved by the vendor for use in your specific MB.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Jim

• 32. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                                                                        creazer Community Member

Thanks Jim. I've already started looking into it. Since my IT guy last came in, I have been using the computer and the following has happened. After installing itunes I had to restart the computer and Windows wouldn't start. After restarting a few times, it came back up again. Then as I was scrubbing along the timeline, premiere crashed on me. Yesterday however, I edited a video clip with heaps of effects and exported it a few times as I made a few changes to it and it was fine.

• 33. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                                                                          creazer Community Member

I've decided to take my computer to another IT guy. I spoke to him on the phone and before I take the computer to him, he asked me if I had a USB 3 on the computer. And if I had any USB 2 devices in them, that could be the reason why my computer is crashing and blue screening. Does this sound right? I've disconnected the USB and will see how it goes.

• 34. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                                                                            creazer Community Member

Thank you Jim, Harm and Eric!!! Problem should be solved. I went onto the asrock website and the memory is not supported. Finally, I can edit now! :-)

• 35. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                                                                              creazer Community Member

Hey everyone. Sorry Jim. I changed the memory to something that was actually reccomended by the site and it blue screened on me twice. Then it even had problems booting up. I don't have the scecifics of the ram I purrchased because it's on the receipt which I don't have. I am still trying to get through to the computer place which I purchased the ram from so I can post up the model and make of the ram.

• 36. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                                                                                creazer Community Member

Ok here are the specs of my new ram...

G.Skill RipjawX series

F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL

DDR3-1866 PC3-14900

4096MBx2

CL9-10-9-28  1.5V

• 37. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                                                                                  JEShort01 Community Member

No Saad, the new RAM you just purchased is NOT on G. Skills approved list for your motherboard (ASRock X79 Extreme 4) either - try again!

Check out:

http://www.gskill.com/configurator2.php?pid=2&model=1363

Also, do not chose any RAM kit that is "approved" for 2x4GB or 2x8GB and simply buy 2 kits to fully populate your board. By just one kit. I say this because it has been reported here that the X79 chipset is picky about RAM. So, if you want to run 32GB of RAM the kit part number should end in 32GBZL. You have tried RAM stick kits ending in 8GBXL twice now but neither is approved, not even for running just 2 sticks at a time to get 16GB of RAM.

Good luck!

Jim

• 38. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                                                                                    creazer Community Member

Thank goodness for this forum. I will go back to computer store and show them this post. Will get back to you by tomorrow morning with the results.

• 39. Re: Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence
                                                                                      creazer Community Member

Hey Jim

I basically forwarded your message to my IT guy and he ended up purchasing this Ram kit...

Kingston KHX2133C11D3k4/16GX

Now after installing, we did a ram test and everything seems to be fine however, when I go to restart the machine, the computer seems to restart(or just stay on, but the screen goes black. Then I have to turn the machine off. I restart it and it asks me if I want to start windows normally because it wasn't shut down properly. This was happening even before I changed the RAM. I've restarted a few times and the same thing seems to be happening. I hope my IT guy hasn't made a mistake and purchased the wrong RAM.

1 2 Previous Next